Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Monocoupe 20% (60 size)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Monocoupe 20% (60 size)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangke Monocoupe 20% (60 size)

Are there very many of these still being flown? Anything you would have done different now that you know?
I'm just getting started on one. I read through searches on here that someone recommended the Saito 170 3 cylinder, I can tell you that the cowl would have to be cut up pretty good to get it in there!

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Kangke Monocoupe 20% (60 size)

I fly mine regularly.
This model needs a LOT of weight up front to balance. And at least the equivalent power of a decent 90 sized 2 stroke glow to power it.

They are not designed to fly fast so prop it appropriately

The perfect engine for the nose of them is a Zenoah 20, 23 or 26 (whatever is available). Mine is currently powered by a Chinese 23cc but it has had a number of engines in it - including ASP 90 4 stroke (not very reliable power) an ASP 1.20 4 stroke (good match) a Saito 1.25 (somewhat more power than needed).

If you use the clevises that come with it - they are designed to be CA'd onto the rods once set - as well as using the lock nuts (I was told this by the factory itself).

Check the struts very closely - I had one of the wires pull out of the end of one of mine (yes - I was doing something silly at the time).

Spend the time to set up the flaps - it makes it a VERY slow flier. I can make mine land while travelling backwards over the ground in a reasonable headwind.

The ailerons need to have differential set up on them otherwise it will may the opposite direction to what you expect when you use them.

Follow the setup in the manual for throws and Cof G.

It is a great fun plane to fly though if you want something stable slow and "different"

Oh - do not break any parts - especially the cowl - it is near impossible to get spare parts for any of the Kangke airframes. I am an importer for them and I have a number of their various airframe kits missing parts.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Hughes500E

Thanks, great reply. I may have a Saito 125 for it. I just can't imagine installing my 170 3 cylinder on it.

So far I am enjoying the build, good looking ARF.
Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I fly one that belongs to a friend and it is a very nice performer. His uses a .91FX two stroke which provides substantially more than ample power in my opinion. I have no idea how much nose weight he has in the airplane but the airplane flies great and is not heavily loaded at all. I had the bigger Monocoupe from Kangke and, quite honestly, I like the smaller one better. The big bird is very lightly loaded which is great for shooting touch and goes but the control response was slower and it seemed to require more rudder coordination to make smooth turns. (Much like flying a 1/4 scale Cub actually) The smaller one is much more responsive and is better for aerobatics while still being easy to take off and land. That's my .02 cents anyway.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 PM
aussiesteve

you will enjoy it

I have sold a LOT of these airframes to people after they saw them flying. In nearly every case they were people who were looking for a gentle Classic flyer that "isn't just another Cub".

1 other point - good luck with the wheels. There is supposed to be a plug supplied with them to keep them inflated. I have never seen it. Small piece of rubber glued on 3 sides inside the tyre with contact cement works very well as a "flapper valve" and allows them to be inflated and stay inflated. I also put a small amount of "Green stuff" (Tyre goo) in them to seal them once inflated.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Hughes500E

Excellent, thanks Chad. I'm glad there are a few being flown. I was just squishing the tires and said, interesting

I will be installing the Saito 125
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one converted to electric. While it is a good flyer, it came out much heavier than the listed 9-10 1/2 lbs. In fact, the components of the kit weighed 9 1/2 lbs. With my electric motor, battery and 1lb of nose ballast, it came out at about 13lbs. Needless to say, it's not a "lazy" flyer. Wing loading is nearly 32oz/ sq ft. I don't have any problem flying, but if you are not an experienced flyer, keep the weight down.
Here's a link to a vid of it flying. http://www.youtube.com/user/judgepil.../3/1dY6HoNvzpE
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I have a Saito 170 radial in my 96" Monocoupe. Plenty of engine for the task!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38897.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1456850  
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Hughes500E

Thanks for that

My 170 is homeless right now....... still
Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 AM
forestroke

that is one beautiful solo prop. i also have the exact same power plant/muffler combo but alas like hughes without a home. my monocoupe is going electric... with a kid now, can't get nearly as dirty as before! :-)