Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Piper Cub and OS 46AX

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Piper Cub and OS 46AX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 AM
CloudSkipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Piper Cub and OS 46AX

There is a slight clearance issue with the 46AX muffler and the open space for the muffler on the H9 Piper Cub. Anyone have this combination?

I'm curious how you solved it. For example, if you had to cut and extend the space for the muffler, how did you then seal the resulting hole in to the fuse. Or did you just use a different slightly shorter muffler on the 46AX? If so which brand/model?

Using a different engine mount however seems to be complicated by the fact that the bolt hole pattern does not seem to match the hole-range of common adjustable engine mounts. Is there a engine mount that would match the holes? If so which brand/model? A different mount could allow putting the engine forward enough to give enough clearance for the muffler.

The stock H9 engine mount is a bit restrictive because of the mounting method it uses.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM
CloudSkipper

Default RE: H9 Piper Cub and OS 46AX

Sorry for double post: By the way, I found out about the clearance only AFTER installing the stock H9 mount with threadlock. It later occurred to me that shimming the mount with plywood would work, but that means heating the bolts to deactivate the threadlock, fashioning a durable shim, etc.

Just wondering what other people have done with this plane/engine combo and seeing pics of it. It's a nuisance that the muffler space is not just a bit longer.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 PM
delman

Here are a couple of other choices - you can either try a pitts style muffler or there is an extension that goes between the engine and muffler which moves the muffler out from the engine cylinder head.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: delman

Here are a couple of other choices - you can either try a pitts style muffler or there is an extension that goes between the engine and muffler which moves the muffler out from the engine cylinder head.
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately the engine mount is at an angle where the muffler ends up underneath the engine along the fuse center-line (it's not mounted sideways). An exhaust port extension for example would then place the muffler off center of the open space for the muffler.

I suppose the only sensible option is to make a shim for the mount. Problem is that I don't have any precision power cutting tools to deal with shaping a small piece of thick ply. I'll manage it though.

I guess I was mainly curious if anyone with this plane/engine combo have used a different shorter muffler or different engine mount that matches the firewall holes.

Cheers