RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Dropped my Escapade :( (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10019559-dropped-my-escapade.html)

shanet75 09-22-2010 10:02 AM

Dropped my Escapade :(

Just finished putting it all together and was hanging it in the garage....Then it slipped out of the hanger. My wing is trash. Could repair it, but it is brand new. Tower is out of stock. Anyone know where else to order parts for this other than tower?
Thanks

NM2K 09-22-2010 10:25 AM

RE: Dropped my Escapade :(

ORIGINAL: shanet75

Just finished putting it all together and was hanging it in the garage....Then it slipped out of the hanger. My wing is trash. Could repair it, but it is brand new. Tower is out of stock. Anyone know where else to order parts for this other than tower?
Thanks

My condolences to you and the recently departed ARF wing. Tower will get new ones in stock again, I'll bet.

Just to let you know that sometimes it goes the other way (model survives, but you are a mess). I was going down the basement steps with my just test flown Balsa USA Phaeton Biplane in 1982 when I tripped and commenced to roll to the bottom of the very steep and lengthy steps. The model was completely unharmed. Me, I was a black and blue mess, but all right otherwise. Hang in there.

Ed Cregger

shanet75 09-22-2010 10:28 AM

Thank you for that. I'm sorry it happened to you, but it makes the little plane incident not look so bad :)
I can't believe the plane is 100 and the wings are 45... oi vey....

jship 09-22-2010 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know how many times I have had planes that I thought were a total loss. I would go off and leave them for a week or two and then I would start haveing ideas on how to fix them. You might find it fun in a couple weeks to try to fix the wing. After all, You don't have anything to lose at this point. If you havent done anything like this before talk to a coupe of the builders in Your club. Post pick's, I'm sure people here on RCU would be glad to walk You throught it. The person who taught Me to fly, taught Me a lot about rebuilding. Now, after I get done being disappointedat what I have just done, I enjoy the adventure! I'm working on one now.
jship

Thanks

shanet75 09-22-2010 11:04 AM

It really isn't that bad. Just really ticked me off as I haven't even had the plane outside yet....Maybe I'll order the wing (when in stock) and also try to fix this one as well.
Thanks

opjose 09-22-2010 11:29 AM

Post a picture of the damage.

_Tommy D 09-22-2010 12:49 PM

Thanks
Omni Models has a set.

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMA3251&P=7

Good Luck

Tommy D

opjose 09-22-2010 01:10 PM

FYI Hobbico owns Omnimodels and Tower.

Charlie P. 09-22-2010 01:20 PM

Bummer! Sorry about your "pre-flight blight".

Ihave had a few:

Had just finished covering a kit wing with Monokite and dropped an 18" steel ruler. It hit the floor and bounced and came UPthrough top and botton wing panels.

Set a wing ona hot trim iron. ("What's that smell? D'OH!")

Set a wing in the back of the stationwagon and when Iarrived at the field the fuselage had slid and the prop was sticking through the middle of one panel.

Melted the covering trying to pull out a wrinkle in an ARF.

Think of it as a good omen - a sacrifice to the flight gods.

A pilot Iknowwas preflighting his new model andturned around to do something and then stepped back on his brand new model. And then there are the "reversed aileron" maidens that are short and often spectacular to watch. Ihave seen three of these over the years. Four, but that one didn't count because the pilot figured it out immediatelyand landed OK.

rclement 09-22-2010 02:18 PM

I you happen to need a complete tail feathers set I have one.

carrellh 09-22-2010 04:16 PM

As of 4:15 on 9/22, Tower shows "In Stock, Limited Quantities"

shanet75 09-22-2010 05:08 PM

They must've gotten them in today.
Thank you....
I almost have it fixed too. Just need to go get some white monokote from the lhs....

TimBle 09-23-2010 03:17 AM

One thing I'dlove to see Great Planes add to their inventory for tis plane is an alternate wing. A tapered, full symmetrical wing to make the Escapade a little more aerobatic.
I am now (after 20 flights) finding the wing to be a limiting factor in this planes performance.
Make no mistake, the Escapade is a fantastic second plane and is capable of aerobatics right up to Sportsmans class but it does take a lot of work to hold inverted with the C at 63mm from the leading edge as recommended in the manual. I've moved mine further back to 66mm and its a little better but she is now very sensitive to trim. If Imove it even further back I think I will find the limit at 70mm. Thereafter I will need a new plane. No biggy because thats the plan anyway but I ove this little plane and if a Wing upgrade will unleach a little more potential then I'd prefer to hang on to her for a while longer. 

Dick T. 09-23-2010 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have posted this before but it serves as a good reminder and to help make you feel a little better about the damaged wing.

While carrying my just finished Sig Sukhoi into the house from the shop, I tripped on the edge of the couch and crushed the fuse on the couch arm. I sat on the floor in disbelief then rolled around laughing my ***** off. Grabbed the camera and snapped a few pics where it lay.

When I called Sig to get a replacement fuse and tail set they laughed along with me when I told the story. They shipped new parts overnight, only charged $125.00 (about half price) along with a note offering condolences but saying it was the best laugh they had in a long time! Great people to deal with.

lear31A 09-23-2010 08:50 PM

Thanks for the laugh Dick!

lear31A 09-23-2010 08:55 PM

I must share one as well! I friend spent about a month building a Decathlon with a 26cc gas engine. On the maiden day, he took off and it kept going! Just climbing in huge circles as the wind was pushing it further away with each circle. For a while, we could just hear the gas engine, but not see the airplane it had climbed so high. Never to be seen again. Man, we laughed so hard when he left the flying field with just his transmitter! He laughed as well, thank goodness!! We still laugh about that one

hugger-4641 09-23-2010 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: jship

I don't know how many times I have had planes that I thought were a total loss. I would go off and leave them for a week or two and then I would start haveing ideas on how to fix them. You might find it fun in a couple weeks to try to fix the wing. After all, You don't have anything to lose at this point. If you havent done anything like this before talk to a coupe of the builders in Your club. Post pick's, I'm sure people here on RCU would be glad to walk You throught it. The person who taught Me to fly, taught Me a lot about rebuilding. Now, after I get done being disappointed at what I have just done, I enjoy the adventure! I'm working on one now.
jship

Thanks

That's the first Venus I've seen broken there. I've had two that broke right behind the canopy, including this one which was my first. It was repaired once, but I threw in the towel after this crash and just started with a new airframe.:eek: