RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great Planes RV-4 .60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10855630-great-planes-rv-4-60-a.html)

Maxdog.vf213 12-12-2011 08:23 AM

Great Planes RV-4 .60

Hey there Gang..

Again, not sure Iposted this in right spot but Iam wondering if an OS 75 would be ok to put in a Great Planes RV-4 .60 without any issues. Guess she was previously a gasser but Iwant to make sure it will have no issues and Ican just slap herin and go. lol.

Thanks to all..

MinnFlyer 12-12-2011 08:25 AM

RE: Great Planes RV-4 .60

You'll have to replace the tank stopper and fuel lines if it was a gasser, but aside from that you should be good to go

Maxdog.vf213 12-12-2011 08:33 AM

Oh, right, forgot about that part but can put My 14oz tankfrom My Extra that was destroyed, saved all that stuff. Thank god wasno cracks or anything as she still had almost a full tank Ihad to pump out. So will just put that whole setup in her.

landeck 12-13-2011 07:06 AM

I have the OS .75 AX in mine. It flies fine with that engine. It is not a speed demon but is still fun to fly.

Bruce

flygilmore 12-13-2011 07:19 AM

How would this plane do with a G20 in it? I have seen one on youtube and it seemed to fly quite nicely.

eclipse3g 12-20-2011 10:12 AM

Guys,
What is a diameter of the stock wheels for RV-4 .60?

Bill Diedrich 12-23-2011 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: eclipse3g

Guys,
What is a diameter of the stock wheels for RV-4 .60?
Stock wheels are 3 1/2" foam, I would replace them with better
quality wheels.

Maxdog.vf213 12-23-2011 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well today was her first full flights and Iam Thrilled to report She flys like a damn dream! From simple pattern flying to REDICULOUS Aerobatics, she was AMAZING, and landed like a trainer to boot.. Floated her in with Zero flaps used. By far the most amazing plane Ihave ever flown!!

Here We Are Together..lol..

And YES That Is Flying Ace Snoopy! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gif

rye 12-23-2011 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi
here"s mine i ended up taking the wheel pants off if you fly off of grass they caught everything we are using satio 100's but a couple of guys fly them with 75's they have more speed but lax in the climb as the satio's have more pulling power i think and 4 strokes sound cool too,rye

Maxdog.vf213 12-23-2011 01:41 PM

Ibeen lucky with My Wheel Pants so far,and the grass was HARD today from frozen ground, taxi was like rolling over gravel is was so bad, thought she was gunna rattle apart..lol. Landing felt like it was so hard as Imissed the runway, was first flight but aside from landing bein alil off it was perfect, that and ours is very thin and short, not sure what the point was of putting it in, would be perfect size for a park flyer but not a 40+ Aircraft IMHO. One of My planes is a 60 size Stylus and she comes in slower then I could crawl and She still runs out of runway..lol.

As far as My 75, not sure what is up with Mine but she screams even in climbs, Pushing almost 11000 RPMs, hell Ifly her for normal pattern flying at alil over 1/4 throttle.
Will NEVERuse a 4 Stroke again though. Have a TT 91s on My Stylus and am trying to trade for a OS 2 Stroke with same power, Ijust feel 4 Strokes is 2 to Many..lol.

landeck 12-23-2011 02:02 PM

MaxDog, what prop are you using on your .75?

Bruce

Maxdog.vf213 12-23-2011 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: landeck

MaxDog, what prop are you using on your .75?

Bruce
Master Air Screw, 14x6. Ialmost ALWAYS use Xoar Props but wood looks so crappy on Her. How Iwould love to find one of those White and RedBiela PropsI haveseen on some of the Huge Scale Extras and stuff but cant seem to find em in under likean18.

TJ FLYER 12-24-2011 12:26 AM

Maxdog, Can you get a larger fuel tank then the 14o/z in your rv-4. i'm getting a rv-4 next weekhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifi'll be installing a os 120 4c and would like to have a little bit larger tank .thanks.</p>

Maxdog.vf213 12-24-2011 03:24 AM

ORIGINAL: TJ FLYER

Maxdog, Can you get a larger fuel tank then the 14o/z in your rv-4. i'm getting a rv-4 next weekhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifi'll be installing a os 120 4c and would like to have a little bit larger tank .thanks.</p>
Sure can! I put a 16oz in Mine and still had room. Had toshave alil on the sides but fit fine as its mostly longer. Iused the Dubro 16oz..

TJ FLYER 12-24-2011 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info, now i'm just waiting for the RV to come in.

rye 12-24-2011 10:39 AM

tj
when you get yours go over the covering really good any spots or corners that will not stay down hit them with thin ca the covering is not monacoat as they say its china coat junk i tore off the covering and redid it in utal coat as you can see in the above pictures also you should hit the joints in the boby that you can get to with ca + and the landing gear area for sure i put small tristock in there and in the motor mound area to just for safe kepting and use sevro brass fitting on the cowl holes that the screws go thought to the body after you glue them in place grind them down on the inside it helps to keep the cowl from cracking its a great flying plane enjoy and good luck,rye,

Maxdog.vf213 12-24-2011 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: rye

tj
when you get yours go over the covering really good any spots or corners that will not stay down hit them with thin ca the covering is not monacoat as they say its china coat junk i tore off the covering and redid it in utal coat as you can see in the above pictures also you should hit the joints in the boby that you can get to with ca + and the landing gear area for sure i put small tristock in there and in the motor mound area to just for safe kepting and use sevro brass fitting on the cowl holes that the screws go thought to the body after you glue them in place grind them down on the inside it helps to keep the cowl from cracking its a great flying plane enjoy and good luck,rye,
Is yours the Great Planes one? Mine was built perfect and Ido know for a fact that Tower Hobbies has it back, the Great Planes 60 Arf, same as Mine. Is a bit pricey for just airframe but WELLWORTHIT.
Ihave had zero issues with any of the MK, its held up to all the ass kicking abuse She has been put through, only thing Ihave had to do is add some checker to the bottom cause OMGShe is hard to see in the sky, specially on a somewhat cloudy day.

So do yourself a favor and change, add, Do Anything to make Her easier to see or you WILLloose Her.

TJ FLYER 12-24-2011 11:12 AM

rye, thanks for the info, I had the same problem with the extra 300 I got earlier this year I did'nt do any extra support around the landing gear, around the 10 flight when I came in and touched down the bottom support gave away. so I learned my lesson on budget ARFS. I heard that monokote is not as good as it used to be, Is ultra coat better then monokote? I know the junk they put on the EXRTA 300 was a pain to work with, i'm thinking of recovering it.I saw your pic. nice job!!</p>

Maxdog.vf213 12-24-2011 11:14 AM

Ultrakote is way better, Ijust used a bunch doing My wings on My RV-4. Bonds to anything and its alot more sturdy.

rye 12-24-2011 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys
yes it is a great planes large scale i got two of them 3 years ago the frist one was just a wreck it was in the early year that they came out and it was blame on bad packing from the factory it had some broken ribs and canopys and crushed wing tip so when the next one cam back it to was damaged and i made a deal with the hobbie shop to get each for 100, less because i made up my mine that i was going to change the colors any way so i tore of the covering and made my repairs ,and yes monacoats real sucks i change over to utalcoat 5 years ago because of that thats all i use now and it really is workable will take a lot of heat heres one i just did with with over lays ,love that utalcoat but when u do over lays use a lot less heat at frist, the yellow one is my best i painted over the utlacoat with tf black paint for all the black frist time i ever did it wanted to try it turn out great a lot of work will i ever do it again no it was a lot of sweat work to get it right,rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fZwP...eature=related

TJ FLYER 12-24-2011 12:39 PM

rye, How many coats of TF black did you have to put on, did you use tape to out line with or liquid masking film, and Did you have a problem with the tapenot wanting to release fromthe covering, also when you did the over lay theres no problem with the covering adhereing to each other, Iknow theover lay on my extra 300 is always peeling off.</p>

hook57 12-24-2011 12:39 PM

Well done Maxdog! Altrhough a bit cold yesterday, three of us went out, I flew my GP Cher 140. Good to hear the GP RV-4 flys that well, I'm going to have to look out for one this winter. I have the full scale RV-6 (ten year build!) that is just plain sweetfun to fly, and she does it pretty quickly too! Merry Christmas guys.
hook</p>

Maxdog.vf213 12-24-2011 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: hook57

Well done Maxdog! Altrhough a bit cold yesterday, three of us went out, I flew my GP Cher 140. Good to hear the GP RV-4 flys that well, I'm going to have to look out for one this winter. I have the full scale RV-6 (ten year build!) that is just plain sweetfun to fly, and she does it pretty quickly too! Merry Christmas guys.
hook</p>
Thanks Hook, Iknow She was just released again through Tower so ya can start there if your interested in getting one and the ARFis pretty easy to do, Iadded a few things and still got her done rather fast, Remote Glow, bigger tank, double battery and so on. She is just great, cant talk enough about Her. Icant stress enough though, DOTHEWINGBOTTOMSOVER!Lol.. As Isaid Hook,the colors She comes in is a sure fire way to loose her in the sky, have no clue what they were thinking.
Hope ya grab one and have as much fun as Iam..

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours also..

TJ FLYER 12-24-2011 01:04 PM

The RV-4 at tower hobbies is 329.00 $ I ordered mine the other day. I have'nt seen her any cheeper.

rye 12-24-2011 01:09 PM

tj
i tape off with bule painters tape and the 0000 steel wool the areato take off the shine and then 2 lite coats and then one heavy coat i now see they have a new painters tape called frog its green its better then the bule stuff i pull it off just before it set up always pulling away from paint ,as for the overlay i just clean the frist then iron from one end holding the covering up a little to control were it goes,lite heat then go over it and turn up the haet to run the egdes, rye