RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 NEW DUE March P-40 B !!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10963797-hangar-9-new-due-march-p-40-b.html)

Kostas1 02-17-2012 04:44 PM

Hangar 9 NEW DUE March P-40 B !!!!!!

** DUE MARCH **

-
Hangar 9's superb P-40B Warhawk is presented in the colour scheme and markings of George Welch, one of only a few USAAF pilots that managed to get off the ground and engage the Japanese planes during the infamous attack on Pearl Harbour on 7th December 1941. His tally for the day was three Aichi D3 (Val) dive bombers and one Mitsubishi Zero fighter shot down.

The model comes with a complete hardware pack and an illustrated assembly guide that makes getting this warbird into the air enjoyable and easy.

The fully built-up airframe is constructed from carefully selected balsa wood to keep the overall weight down, and much use is made of laser cut plywood. The resulting airframe is light, durable and strong.

Whilst the kit includes standard fixed wire gear legs with scale wheels, the wings come retract ready with pre-formed ABS wheel wells already installed. For the ultimate in realism upgrading to a retracting undercarriage at a later date is quick and easy using E-flite's electric "twist and turn" retracts (EFLG320)

Designed to fly using a conventional .46-.52 or .74-.82 four-stroke glow engine, the P40 may also be powered with an electric motor; the E-flite Power 52 is the perfect choice. If choosing the electric power option, access to the flight batteries and electronics is quick and easy thanks to the large removable top hatch, there is no need to remove the wing to change batteries.

A seldom modelled early version of the P-40 minus the more familiar "sharks teeth" markings normally associated with a P40, adds to the character of this sport scale warbird. With its great flying characteristics and the chance to add further options to increase scale realism, this is one model that is bound to stand out on the flight line!

Electric power ready with no modifications needed

Scale P-40 shaped spinner with 2 or 3 blade cut outs
Removable top battery hatch with hidden switches
Optional Pearl Harbour decal sets available
Ready for optional E-flite electric retracts (EFLG320)
Pearl Harbour 1941 US Army Air Corps olive drab colour scheme
One-piece wing for easy assembly
Pre-painted fibreglass cowl and belly pan
Scale wheels included
Moulded .50 calibre wing guns with cooling shroud detail
Low component count for easy assembly
Genuine UltraCoteā„¢ covering
All hardware included

-
http://notices.miniplanes.fr/docs/Hangar%209/logo.jpg
http://www.tjdmodels.com/images/prod...ngar-92pD3.jpg
-
http://www.tjdmodels.com/images/prod...50-arf7549.jpg
-
http://www.tjdmodels.com/images/prod...50-arf7550.jpg
-
http://www.tjdmodels.com/images/prod...50-arf7553.jpg
-
http://www.tjdmodels.com/images/prod...50-arf7554.jpg

Oberst 02-18-2012 01:13 PM

RE: Hangar 9 NEW DUE March P-40 B !!!!!!

Great, another P-40. :eek:

Pete

SkyPilot101 02-18-2012 02:44 PM

.50 size??? What you do'in H-9??? .60 is benchmark!

Oberst 02-18-2012 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

.50 size??? What you do'in H-9??? .60 is benchmark!

I'm going to be highly pissed if this is what they are advertising for the replacement of the Hanger 9 Camel and Fokker DVII. Too many P-40s are out in the market right now and they are much better in scale details and quality than this thing. Come on, how many P-51s, P-47s, F4Us, P-40s, Yaks, Extras and Edges are they going to make? Most shows I have gone to look at these things and say "Yea, another P-51" etc.

But every time someone shows up with a one of a kind warbird, Axis, Central Powers, Goldern Age or something that isn't modeled much, then it seems the crowds get more interested.

This P-40, I am not interested. I can't believe these people, many have suggested to them to come out with another Axis or WWI bird. Many have written Horizon to come back with the Camel and DVII. Again we've been ignored. So now I ignore most of what Horizon puts out because to me, they are going the wrong way when it comes to producing the nice planes they once did. Great Planes is just as guilty. Both CEOs should be fired IMHO.

That's my take on it, and it is my opinion. I think Seagull is going to become better for half the price if Hanger 9 doesn't get its act together.

Pete

jeffEE 02-19-2012 10:16 AM

Do you think they did not put the retracts in because of all the crap they took about the Corsairs crappy set up? And Hanger 9, do us a favor and leave the decals OFF!

Herbs_007 02-19-2012 05:19 PM

Its beautiful and one of my favourite versions of the P40, but a 50 size, ummm why isnt it 60 size like their other warbirds? Wonder if they will do a 150 version like the P51 and P47?

oldtyme 02-19-2012 06:06 PM

And why another "shiny" bird???? Doesn't Ultrakote come in flat finishes????

SkyPilot101 02-19-2012 07:26 PM

Horizion would like you to think that they are in the drivers seat in respect to what comes through there door, in reality they are just the retail outlet for there asian producer. Bout' all they do is provide marketing feedback & demo there new products.......A shiney .50 size Ho-Hum is the result.....Tell me I'm wrong!

MinnFlyer 02-20-2012 05:20 AM

I think it looks pretty sweet.

As for the shiney covering etc. H-9 makes a lot of "warbirds" that are actually sport planes made to LOOK like a warbird.

These may not appeal to the true warbird lover, but there is a big market for sport fliers who want a P-40, P-51, etc, but are still a little cautious when it comes to flying warbirds.

w0mbat 02-20-2012 08:26 AM

I guess it kinda looks like a P-40! At least someone finally came out with a B model, although I would have liked to see a Flying Tigers scheme on it. Hopefully the markings won't come pre-applied.

tevans55 02-20-2012 08:49 AM

Looks like it is made to appeal to the foam electric group just getting started and wanting to move up to a better plane. Photos look like it is electric with no exhaust. The size would be about right for a move up to electric from foam.

Oberst 02-20-2012 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

And why another ''shiny'' bird???? Doesn't Ultrakote come in flat finishes????

No, unfortunately we have to wet sand it with 1000-2000 grit or steel wool, then spray flat clear over it. Even Mono has a limited amount of flat on the market because most people paint their own warbirds anyway.

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

I guess it kinda looks like a P-40! At least someone finally came out with a B model, although I would have liked to see a Flying Tigers scheme on it. Hopefully the markings won't come pre-applied.

All aircraft decals I have had from Hanger 9 were either vinyl, pressure decals or ultracote decals. All can be removed with low heat and a little lighter fluid to remove the old glue left behind. Acetone works just as well if used sparingly on a clean rag.

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Horizion would like you to think that they are in the drivers seat in respect to what comes through there door, in reality they are just the retail outlet for there asian producer. Bout' all they do is provide marketing feedback & demo there new products.......A shiney .50 size Ho-Hum is the result.....Tell me I'm wrong!

Wish I could- but I can't because I think you nailed it. If we want to take control again we have to not buy the product, but you have a lot of people that don't read the threads and forums who will buy this plane because it's a eye catcher and a warbird- not because they know the step down Hanger 9 and Horizon Hobby is taking from what they once had on the market.

Me personally I won't buy it, and if Horizon and Hanger 9 continues with this down hill slide, you can bet there will be a day when I say, " I'm done with them" when it comes to their ARF glow/gas aircraft. Like the Cub, P-51, P-47,P-40, F4U, Yak, Extra and edges, almost every club has them. They tend to be a little boring to the crowds when they see them year after year.

Now when I see Axis, Central Powers, Gee Bees or experimental historical aircraft that is hardly modeled, some people get on their feet to watch them fly and applaud when they land safely.

I write this from my own experience. At the last airshow I attended, I had the only Central Powers aircraft Hanger 9 Fokker DVII, and when I started a fight with the BUSA Pup the crowd started to move into to the pits to watch, and other pilots not a part of the event started to walk up to the flight line. You can hear the announcer telling people to step back from the flight line during the Warbird Demo.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10712256/tm.htm

Now if all we saw in a Warbird Demo was P-51, P-47, P-40 or F4Us, do you think it would excite the crowd a whole lot? I don't think so. Now throw in a A5M, 109, FW-190, in the mix, watch the WWII guys mix it up and I can guarantee you people in the crowd will be on their feet. Thank heavens Seagull Models came out with a A6M Zero 75-91 ARF that can be "bashed" to make it look more authentic.

We need Axis and more Central Powers aircraft that are ARF aircraft. Period! ESM and Black Horse Models is the only ones who make them, but for WWI the ARF fan is out of luck unless they want to build a Maxford Spad. Dumbest move that Hanger 9 discontinued the Camel and Fokker DVII. Dumb move thast Great Planes discontinued the 60 Fokker Dr1.

This is why I whine and moan about these suppliers like Hanger 9/Horizon and Great Planes. They just don't listen and it's more and more making kit building really attractive again to some people.

Pete

tevans55 02-20-2012 03:04 PM

Pete

You make alot of good points. You would think with H9 success with the .60 size Corsair and P-47 they would have a least made the P-40 the same size. I don't believe they are being dictated anything from China. They develop plans and take them to their builder/supplier and have these planes made to their specs. I just hope ESM and a few others continue to develop their products in the sizes many of us on RCU are asking for. The more we purchase the better they should get with things like spare parts. There must be a market for these smaller warbirds but it eludes me. I don't see anything but foam in that size if it is a warbird. Maybe they don't like what EFlite and Parkzone are doing to them so this is their response to that electric foam market. Doesn't interest me in the least...I'm with you Pete.

Firepower R/C 02-23-2012 09:07 PM

I have had many of Hangar 9's 60-sized birds... sport scale at best but they generally fly great. I think that the move to a slightly smaller warbird is purely market driven. The market is really saturated with mid & large-sized birds right now, wit not alot of decent stuff in the .40-.50 range. Maybe they are trying to appeal to modelers that fly smaller, electric birds as well as draw in some that like them in the 60 size range. Shoot, maybe they have alot of glow engines they are wanting to unload! :) They gotta pedal those electric rotating retracts they have as well. Heh heh. It is all acedemic, as SOMEONE at Hangar 9 thinks that slightly smaller is more profitable, and since this is the second WWII bird to come out in this size, they probably have plans to continue the trend. There are some cost benefits to the smaller size, like slightly less material, less packaging, easier on the retracts, and they can fit more in a shipping container (the biggie)! If you make alot of them, it would add up. Heck, it ain't bad for a .40 sized plane, but I too wish it were 60 sized. If it were, I would snatch it up in a second and put a belly tank on it! :D

Oh, another thing... I was looking through my H&M performance FW-190 ARF the other day... remember those from a few years ago? They were kind of a "flash in the pan", weren't they? I snatched a couple of the FW's up when they were on ebay for super cheap. They were "60 size" & advertised as "designed for electric", but they didn't have any battery hatches & some even came with fuel tanks! And I swear this plane was made in the same factory as Hangar 9 birds were! It has the EXACT SAME dummy engine molding as the 60 Corsair & P-47, same cockpit parts, same retracts, same exact firewall layout & construction style through and through. It is almost like ... heck it IS A HANGAR 9 FW-190. It does make me wonder if they (H9) had plans that didn't pan out or something...

If you ever get a chance to get one of these H&M FW's, don't pass it up! They are awesome flyers! Anyway, back to the P-40 (sigh).

w0mbat 02-24-2012 03:32 PM

As much as people hate to admit, .40 size and under is where the market is right now. They are inexpensive to buy, inexpensive and easy to power, easy to store, easy to fit in the car and easy to carry. I have owned planes up to 100cc and I always go back to .40 size.

mobyal 02-28-2012 05:11 PM

Well, stopped by my LHS around noon today. They had just gotten one in this morning. I wound up getting it and have ordered Horizon's recommended electric setup fpr it, as well as the retracts. It takes the same rotating Eflites as their Corsair 50.This should go well w/ my H9 Corsair 50, FMS 1400mm Zero and PZ 54" Hurricane.
And yes, I'm a long way past the "foamie" stage, though I can see how this would appeal to that set. I like the size of all these birds mentioned, ease of transport and setup etc.
I think this'll be fun to put together end fun to fly. On unpacking it looks pretty good.