RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Black Horse Harmon Rocket (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11575146-black-horse-harmon-rocket.html)

B Shipp 07-20-2013 01:59 PM

Black Horse Harmon Rocket

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my Black Horse Harmon Rocket. Power is a DLE 20 swinging an 17/6 APC. Radio is a DX8 with Hitec 625mg servos. Weight is 11.5 lbs.

The airplane assembled in about 6 hours, the only thing I replaced was the spinner and wheel pants. The wheel pants are from a Great Planes RV4.

Great flying airplane!

WindGap 07-22-2013 02:08 PM

RE: Black Horse Harmon Rocket

Post vid. It looks awesome. :)

maukaonyx 07-22-2013 03:11 PM

Good looking plane! Let's hear how she flies, and see more pics and video. Jon

Kostas1 07-23-2013 09:19 PM

I bet it's faaast! :D

B Shipp 07-24-2013 01:36 AM

I don't have any video yet, I fly at a great field, but I am usually the only one there. I am very impressed with the handling of this airplane. Rolls are axial, and it snaps well. It will knife edge all day long with very little roll coupling. Landings are nice and slow with half or full flaps. The airplane has the feel of a larger aircraft. I like the fact that it has a two piece wing and tail, easy to transport. I was a little skeptical about the DLE20 but it has plenty of power. I first flew with a 16/8 APC then switched to the 17/6, it's fast but not a pylon racer.

Brian-

ChrisFlysRC 10-03-2013 05:26 PM

BShipp,

I am interested in building one of these and adding a DLE 20CC engine for power. I would like as much information as possible.

I am planning on flying gas and want this to be a primary airplane to fly. I would also like some build photos if you have any. I just need information on mounting the engine, adding gas fuel lines and all the batteries needed. Thanks for any information.

Chris

B Shipp 10-06-2013 06:44 AM

Chris,

The DLE 20 is a good match for this airframe. The only thing I did different was to mount the engine inverted instead of at a 45 like the assembly instructions show. I tossed out the supplied fuel tank and used a 20 oz Sullivan, fits in the same location.

The landing gear mounting bolts did not fit the installed blind nuts. I re-tapped the existing blind nuts to 8-32 and used 8-32x1/2'' bolts. I also got rid of the supplied wheel pants and used a set from a Great Planes RV. The airplane is discontinued but the wheel pants are still available from Tower.

I did not use the BH spinner. Not only because the one I got with my kit was yellow, it also is very cheap. I used a Dave Brown Vortech spinner. I don't remember the size, I just measured and bought the corresponding size.

The wing is held in place by 2 nylon bolts on the root each wing, they augment this with a self tapping screw into the spar on top of the wing. I don't use the self tapping screws as the four 1/4-20 nylon bolts are substantial enough to hold the wing in place. I have 35 flights so far with out a problem.

I am using a Spectrum radio with a 6v 2200 MiMh battery as a flight pack and a 4.8v 2000 MiHh for the engine.

I dont have any build photos, if I get a chance I will take some pictures of my annual inspection.

The Harmon Rocket has been my ''Go To'' airplane for a few months now. It is great flying airplane. The DLE will run for 24 minutes on 20 oz!

Brian-

ChrisFlysRC 10-06-2013 09:35 AM

Brian,

You can send me some photos of the airplane and mounting the engine and add any necessary gas components such as ignition battery, charging switches and flight battery as well as the location of all the servos for the airplane. Id like to see how you mounted the DLE 20cc in the airplane. I want to start flying gas due to the cost of lipos and nitro. My club field is rough so I might not use the wheel pants on the airplane.

I just have to mount the engine and keep it looking scale. I don't know If I can invert the engine but it can keep it looking scale.

I fly a smaller EFlite RV-9 and it's electric and it flys great. The full scale Harmon Rocket is a high performance RV-4 model. This model looks like a lot of fun to fly. It is a good size airplane for easy transport to the flying field.

Chris

TimJ 01-31-2014 11:36 AM

Check out this video from Hobby People's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151880413805846

ChrisFlysRC 01-31-2014 12:20 PM

Great video. Not a lot of flying video here but its is a fast airplane. Great match for a DLE 20cc.

Chris

Texastbird 02-01-2014 04:26 PM

they had it on sale the other day, but it looks like its back up to full price,,,,,:mad:

ChrisFlysRC 02-03-2014 03:42 PM

Great Looking airplane. I might have to get larger wheels for my clubs rough field.

outlander 04-12-2015 05:56 AM

This looks like a perfect rc model to fly a 20cc gas engine . Who sells this model since Hobby People have
dropped them ?