RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   SIG Kadet LT-40 EG ARF... Electric or Glow? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11592083-sig-kadet-lt-40-eg-arf-electric-glow.html)

Foxbat711 12-26-2013 09:23 AM

SIG Kadet LT-40 EG ARF... Electric or Glow?

I am not sure whether to use glow or electric in the SIG Kadet LT-40 EG ARF..... I have no experience with electric motors but I have flown glow rc planes in past... just getting back into hobby..... Thanks for any feedback....

MajorTomski 12-26-2013 09:41 AM

If you don't mind the initial higer expense, go electric. It's a lot of fun just to flip a switch and fly and not wipe a slimey plane down at the end of the day. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW ALL SAFETY precautions when using LiPo batteries!

flyinwalenda 12-26-2013 10:42 AM

Hi, It depends if you are going to be in it for awhile or just seeing if you still enjoy it. Also depends what field equipment you have from your glow days.
If you have a starter, glow panel/igniter ,NiCd/NiMh battery charger,fuel pump, fuel can, tools,etc...to support a glow engine then I would say install a glow engine like a 2-stroke OS46/55 or a 4-stroke Saito 62 or a gasoline engine like the Evolution 10GX.
If you have no support equipment then it's a bit of a toss-up.
If you go glow or gas you will need some or all of the above support equipment. If you go electric then you will need support equipment such as a battery charger capable of charging and balancing lithium cell batteries such as LiPo packs,, meters,and some tools. As you probably know you can buy most of these items used or new. Just be careful with used electronics and make sure they work properly. The initial start-up for electric operation is a bit high but once you have a decent charger and a few LiPo packs your cost per flight will come down as you fly and if you stick with a few planes that use the same size LiPo packs it makes it even better.
I ,like a lot of folks have a mixture of both electric and glow/gasoline planes. For me ,my electric planes are now limited to 60 size planes and under , gasoline for 90 size and over with some 4 stroke glow 40/60 size planes. Most of my 2-strokes have been replaced with electric or gasoline. With the new smaller gasoline engines I have been converting most of my glow plane from 40/60 size to gasoline. With the small Evo 10GX I can fly for 30 minutes on 10 ounces of fuel so the cost of operation is way less than glow power.
It really depends on what you like, what you want to deal with or not deal with and cost of equipment(support, engines/motors, etc) and cost of operation.

Granpooba 12-26-2013 11:48 AM

So sick and tired of seeing and hearing of people converting to electric, that maybe it is time to convert back to glow / gas.

Personally, and I emphasize personally, I would power it with a good OS engine and just keep wiping the smile off of my face after every flight. :o

52larry52 12-26-2013 05:53 PM

I just recently made the ultimate electric airplane upgrade. I put a glow engine in it!...... So, you know which way i'll vote.:)

LSP972 01-01-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Foxbat711 (Post 11693688)
I am not sure whether to use glow or electric in the SIG Kadet LT-40 EG ARF..... I have no experience with electric motors but I have flown glow rc planes in past... just getting back into hobby..... Thanks for any feedback....

I flew glow/gasoline for almost 30 years… got into e-power this past fall, and that's all I have been fooling with since. But I still have a few "slimers", and no plans to get rid of them.

The answer to your question needs THIS question answered first… "What, exactly, do you intend to do with this model?"

IOW, are you going to use it as a trainer, or as a relaxing sport flyer? As a trainer, e-power is not a good idea because of the time limitations involved. With a good .40 and a 10 ounce tank, you can fly that airplane around at half throttle for over 20 minutes. Unless you go really expensive on a huge battery, you'll get less than half of that time on e-power.

As a sport flyer for a competent pilot, electric is a good choice. As noted, the initial expense is greater, particularly if you get a GOOD battery charger (which you should).

I'll put it this way… I really like the no muss/no fuss aspect of electric. But when you get into .40 size and up airplanes, the necessary larger batteries get real expensive, they take longer to charge between flights, and the total cost is as much or more for a glow plane and a couple of gallons of fuel and the requisite support gear.

I built a Sig LT-40 trainer with an old OS 52 Surpass that trained a dozen folks how to fly; my #1 grandson and I finally killed it messing around in high wind/low altitude (IOW, having fun). I have another kit still in the plastic wrap; if I ever build it, I will put that old four stroke back on it, for the added flight time and quick turn-around… i.e., no waiting on batteries to charge, just use a big (2000mAh) receiver battery and keep fueling it back up and flying right then, until the receiver battery finally gets too low. A 2000mAh receiver battery will last for a dozen or more flights if you're careful; that's a whole day of flying.

Whichever power system you choose, make the model into a tail-dragger. This genre of airplane does not ground handle well in any sort of wind with the trike gear; especially on grass.

SigMan 01-20-2014 04:40 PM

if you go glo, consider a Saito 4-stroke.