RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Engine for the Shoiwtime 90 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11663650-engine-shoiwtime-90-a.html)

picard1 04-19-2019 01:02 PM

Engine for the Shoiwtime 90

Just picked up a NIB Hanger 9 Showtime 90.
Trying to decide on an engine. Nitro would be lighter but not opposed to gas. Any suggestions?

Mike

speedracerntrixie 04-19-2019 01:36 PM

YS .91, 110 or 115. IMO that airplane is too small for a gas engine.

ahicks 04-20-2019 04:19 AM

I would have to disagree with "too small". With 900 sq. in. of wing, it's fine for a 20cc gasser, and with some attention to detail, an engine like that would offer some pretty "spirited" performance. A decent 20 will have unlimited vertical performance at 10lbs. They say this plane might be closer to 9 lbs.

What I am not sure of is how well the plane is built. For instance many Cubs will be plenty big enough for a 20, but may not be built near strong enough for hard play of any sort. As this is an older design, the design and construction standards are not going to be on par with the latest and greatest from the 3D world where designs are thrashed mercilessly.

Servos would have to be strong enough to hold those big control surfaces, and metal gears highly recommended.

Bottom line, the success of a gas install might depend on your expectations. If looking for a good sport plane, I'd go for it. It should be super. For harder play, I would have more reservations.

speedracerntrixie 04-20-2019 07:01 AM

There would be a pretty large performance difference between a DLE 20 and a YS 115. So much so that a DLE 30 would be nessesary to make up the power difference. At that point the weight of the 30 would be playing a larger factor. Of course this will all depend on expectations. The YS 91 and DLE would be on par power wise with the weight advantage going to the YS. The last 10lb airplane that I owned had a Webra 120 for power and while it flew fine, it lacked power by today's standards. The Webra spun the same 16x8 as a DLE 20. The question for me would be just how much vertical performance does the OP want?

ahicks 04-20-2019 11:08 AM

SRT, you're pushing this into a YS vs. DLE discussion that will stretch on forever, and I'm not going there. You said you thought the plane was too small for a gas engine. I'm saying I think not, period. I fly 20 powered stuff this size and weight all the time. At 9 lbs, the 20's can easily pull a plane out of a hover. I'd say that's plenty of vertical performance for most people.

I think the better question might be regarding whether a YS115 or 20cc DLE/RCGF/Valleyview might not be a bit much for a lot of flyers. They'll definitely be in the "over the top" category. If you are used to flying hot rod sport planes, these engines might be a good choice. I think a 16x8 would be a poor choice for a prop though. A 17x6 would help keep the plane slowed down to the point where it has a much better chance of keeping it's critical control surfaces where they are intended...... and still be plenty fast. I don't think this plane will do well at 80 mph plus.

speedracerntrixie 04-20-2019 04:05 PM

Al, my apologies if it sounded as if it appeared I was leading towards a DLE vs YS debate, certainly not my intention. Simply giving the OP a wide variety of options. It's no surprise to me that you and I will have different Veiw points due to our flying styles being different. 3D is not quite as power hungry as doing large maneuvers at a constant airspeed. I would agree that by most people's standards I grossly overpower my models as that is what is required for my type of flying. When suggesting power plants, I will usually point out the best power to weight options as I beleive giving guys a full range of options is best.

ahicks 04-20-2019 05:34 PM

Yes, It should be known, if you don't already, SRT and I have a huge difference in the way we generally fly. Though we are both performance nuts, we fly at pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither of us are what most would call an average "sport" flyer. He (to the best of my understanding) flies precision style, and mostly larger stuff, especially when talking gas. I'm more of a 3D type, playing in the low and slow stuff for the most part (think knife edge hover flying into just a light breeze) - and I'm most active in small electrics (42-60") and 10-35cc gassers.

To avoid off topic debate, I'll pass on the " 3D is not quite as power hungry" comment....something else I don't agree with. -Al

speedracerntrixie 04-21-2019 07:16 AM

Very well put Al, happy Easter to you and yours.

tailskid 04-26-2019 07:47 PM

Currently using Saito 125 on mine.....love it.

cstevec 06-14-2019 08:28 PM

I had two of these when they were first released. They fly extremely well with the intended Saito 100. The plane is built strong but lightweight so yes, you could fly with a dle 20 but I wouldn't. You might find yourself adding tailweight and that would not be a plus for this plane. By the way, the side force generators are unnecessary.

SU29 07-03-2019 12:53 PM

Mike,

My brother has been flying one of these with a DLE30 for approx. 8-9 years now. He flies it very hard with no structure type failures. He has thought about putting a DLE 20 on it however has not tried it yet. I believe he's using a 19 X 8 prop. The plane still slows down for nice gentle landings.

I just wanted to add some real experience to the conversation.

Jeff

RCFlyerDan 07-05-2019 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by tailskid (Post 12521211)
Currently using Saito 125 on mine.....love it.

+1 IMHO.......If the guy hasn't flown 4-strokes, then a YS is too temperamental, complicated fuel system to understand and difficult to tune for the average glow engine pilot. Most don't realize with a YS to get it properly tuned, you have to wait for the fuel tank to pressurize. Most that haven't owned them, don't even let their engines warm up before tuning, let alone letting a fuel tank pressurize. Saito or OS 4-stroke in the 1.20 size is perfect for the plane.

soinks 11-19-2019 09:59 AM

Hi Picard1, I'm looking at your post on RC UNIVERSE about the H-9 Showtime had one of those and absolutely loved it with a Satio 180 on it. I'd like to know where you got one of those new in the box since they stopped making them a while back. To me it was one of the best flying planes ever, it would do anything that you wanted or could do. If you still have it and want to sell it let me know. You were asking what engine to put on it well you see what I used,the Satio 180 and its awesome.

Thanks, Soinks

picard1 11-19-2019 10:18 AM

Soinks,
I bought it from a fellow club member. He has a Saito 125 he purchased to go in it but decided not to sell the engine. I haven't gone forward with the build yet, so If I decide to sell it ill PM you first.s

TacticalKarma 01-15-2020 07:09 AM

Shoiwtime?

soinks 01-01-2021 06:29 AM

Hi Picard 1, its been a long time since we talked. I'm wondering what you have doing with the Showtime. I loved mine with the Saito 180. The only thing is with the big engines is they beat the frame to death so that you have to inspect it often. I haven't seen a PM from you saying that you want to sell it. I know it's been over a year and more than likely you've done something with the plane. I would appreciate if you would let me know what you have done with it.

Thanks Soinks

soinks 12-15-2022 03:41 AM

Showtime

Hello Picard
It's been so long and probably all forgotten about but I'm wondering if you've done anything with the Showtime. I'd appreciate it if you would let me know what you're doing or done with it.
Thanks Soinks

picard1 12-15-2022 06:49 AM

Good morning,
Been off and on this past couple of years. I installed a DLE20 and it seems to be a perfect match. Added carbon fiber struts to the horizontal stab and rudder helped to stiffen up the tail section.