RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great planes revolver 70” (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11672360-great-planes-revolver-70%94.html)

ErikElvis 11-27-2019 02:29 PM

Great planes revolver 70”

Anyone know when a lot of these great planes ARF’s will be available again? Tried to contact great planes directly but they didn’t have an optio. To ask about this on their web form.

thanks!
Erik

guapoman2000 11-27-2019 02:48 PM

Placing your e-mail at the product page may help.

I have done it before and I have received an E-Mail indicating the product (Model) is back in stock.

ErikElvis 11-30-2019 03:30 AM

May be picking one of these up. I didn’t realize the amount of servos out there. I have a spektrum receiver so I should prob go with spektrum servos. And recommendations on which ones?

scott page 11-30-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ErikElvis (Post 12566987)
May be picking one of these up. I didn’t realize the amount of servos out there. I have a spektrum receiver so I should prob go with spektrum servos. And recommendations on which ones?

The make of receiver is a factor on what transmitter to use it with -- but not seros. Servo speed, torque, physical size, gear composition, Digital or analog, and PWM or Sbus are the only factors that need to be factored into purchasing servos. Perhaps brand preference as well. All receivers connect to the servos using either PWM and/or Sbus. You're free to choose whichever brand of servo has the specifications to meet your need. Radio companies such as Futaba and Spectrum like to encourage you to use their servos because this is increased income after the initial sale.

I'll not mention names because I don't want to throw anybody under the bus -- but some of the best servos are made by a company that makes one of the worst (IMO) radios. One of the best radio companies (IMO) doesn't even make servos.

ErikElvis 12-04-2019 09:15 AM

So a touch confused. I have a spektrum dx9 and some spektrum receiver. Will any servo plug into my receiver? I’ve noticed different shapes of the connections on some.

also what’s your go to way to add control surfaces to the wings? I tried some of those long gray plastic sticks with a hinge in the middle before but don’t remember how it turned out.

scott page 12-04-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ErikElvis (Post 12567996)
So a touch confused. I have a spektrum dx9 and some spektrum receiver. Will any servo plug into my receiver? I’ve noticed different shapes of the connections on some.

also what’s your go to way to add control surfaces to the wings? I tried some of those long gray plastic sticks with a hinge in the middle before but don’t remember how it turned out.

Some plugs have a fin on the signal wire side to polarize the plug. If you need to fit a polarized plug into a nonpolarized Rx just use an Xacto and trim off the polarizing fin. The PWM signal is the same regardless - however different radios have slightly different end points... with some having an upper end point at 1080 Ωs while others have the end point as high as 2012Ωs. So you might see a slightly different amount throw (also called weight) from one system to another. All use a center value of 1500Ωs so the difference in throw is inconsequential - and if you need less throw (because you're over driving the servos) simply reduce the end points.

I don't understand the question of adding control surface to wings.

ErikElvis 12-04-2019 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just meant what is the preferred hinging method for say the ailerons to the wing.

scott page 12-04-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ErikElvis (Post 12568019)
Thanks for the reply. I just meant what is the preferred hinging method for say the ailerons to the wing.

That depends completely on the material, size, and speed of the specific model. For Balsa sport planes C.A. Hinges or nylon hinges held with epoxy. Larger planes pin hinges. For foam, hinge tape. High speed planes C.A. hinges sealed with hinge tape. I've seen covering used to hings as well as seal hinges. Fabric hinges are also common on high end planes. I don't think there is a "preferred" method except by each individual builder.

ErikElvis 12-04-2019 11:52 AM

What would you recommend for this plane?

ahicks 12-05-2019 06:02 AM

What are you using for an engine? How hard are you planning on flying the plane?

This plane was really popular using a DLE 20, and the rear exhaust version installs with a minimum of cowl hacking.

This is a pretty awesome plane, capable of just about anything in the right hands. If you've been flying sport planes for a while and are capable of pushing this plane's abilities, I would sugge3st you use heavy duty everything. Set it up pretty much using the same hardware you would use for a 30-36cc gasser. 4-40 everything, with HD clevises or ball links on everything.

So to answer the hinge question, I would use pinned hinges keeping hinge gaps to a minimum, and use blenderm tape (or similar) to seal them from the bottom.

One of the most popular planes built, here's Everything you ever wanted to know about the R70
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...-revolver.html

You'll need to reinforce the landing gear block. It's the crappiest design ever, was never changed though well known to be problematic from it's introduction, and will pull right out unless landed on it's tippy toes every time. Everyone I know of that didn't do the reinforcement mod furing their build found this out the hard way. You can do a google search on Revolver landing gear mod for more info. Here's a couple of pics. The way I did it was the sheet metal method, with the sheet metal installed between the gear and the fuse. I made it from a piece of alum. roof flashing. -Al

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...96c029599b.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...873ef69546.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...17192e97ba.jpg

ErikElvis 12-05-2019 07:41 AM

Looks good. I did plan on using the dle 20. I’m not sure I have the ability to make a reinforced section like that though with my tools though.

ahicks 12-05-2019 05:09 PM

Bending a piece of aluminum sheet metal is pretty easy if you try. So is cutting off a length of angle aluminum purchased at a local hardware store. Either way works fine using just tin snips or a hacksaw.

ErikElvis 12-05-2019 05:28 PM

Ok cool. Are people using blind nuts with the reinforcement or nuts and bolts.

ahicks 12-06-2019 04:55 AM

Either way would work fine.

As far as fastening the reinforcement to the firewall is concerned, you could use several short sheet metal screws as long as they were not installed too close to the bottom of the firewall.

TacticalKarma 01-15-2020 07:09 AM

Indeed it is a great planes