RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   ARFs shedding covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1183556-arfs-shedding-covering.html)

scottrc 10-06-2003 09:24 AM

ARFs shedding covering

OK, now I have confirmed my cardinal rule. That is to always just replace the covering on my ARFs. My first ARF that I bought with "quality" covering was the Goldberg Tiger 2. After taking to gun and iron to it to straiten all the packing wrinkles, this turned out looking really good. Then, on the second flight, I hear this really loud BRRRRRG sound, did a fly by, and watched all the covering on the top right wing peel off. I landed it before it stripped any more off and recovered it with Monokote, treating it first with Balsa Rigth.

I bought the Eagle 2 ARF and upon inspection, found that there were no overlaps of the covering, which would cause the same issue I had with the Tiger, so I recovered it.

Now, I just flew a new Tower KAOS, red version. Again, the covering looked really tight and solid, then, while flying, I began hear funny BRRRRG noises, the plane began pulling to the right really bad, I had to land with full left rudder and aileron, only to find the entire top of the right wing void of covering.

I live in a very humid area and am wondering if the climate may be affecting the factory applied covering.

Is anybody else having these kind of problems with ARF covering? Another member had the covering shear off his Sig Four Star ARF wing as well, so it seems not to be brand specific.

Scott

Mike Bogh 10-06-2003 10:15 AM

RE: ARFs shedding covering

Odd luck, you've been having...I live in a no humidity zone, fly 99% ARF's for 8 years, and have never once had covering come off...even the cheesy sticky back that came on the TT Extra profiles.

Can't say I have an explaination for you Scott, must be the humidity.
That blows.

aaron2874 10-06-2003 12:09 PM

I have the Thunder Tiger Sport 40, Champion 45L, 40 Trainer, and the Tower Voyager. They are covered either with some kind of vinyl or pvc. ALL had to be recovered. I also have the Goldberg Tiger 60 arf which came covered with ultracote and a Tequila Sunrise which is covered with Ultracote as well. No problems with those. My conclusion: The cheap printed coverings on a lot of arfs are junk and you will be recovering the plane before long. The good news is: You will get good at covering!! :D

scottrc 10-06-2003 01:01 PM

LOL, I love building, but hate covering, that was why I've been getting ARFs. Both the Goldberg and Sig were great, if they would only overlap another 1/4 inch around the sharp edges of the fuse and wing tips. I have been trying the Top Flight trim solvent and that seems to work on some covering. But test it first, it did alright on the Ultracoat, but burned a hole through the cheapo stuff on the Tower Kaos.

BTW, I called Tower this AM and told them my dilema, they were willing to take the plane back, but I counter offered, I told them that this was a fine built plane and flies great, how about you just give me a credit on three rolls of Monokote and a can of Balsarite? I'm to expect a call back from their warranties division manager this afternoon for confirmation on my offer.

Well, guess its time to pick out a new color trim, which on the bright side is cool, now mine won't look like everyone elses.

Thanks for the replies.

Scott

visioneer_one 10-06-2003 02:05 PM

I live in a very humid area and am wondering if the climate may be affecting the factory applied covering.
Funny you should mention this. Yesterday I was training one of the fellows here with his Tower Trainer. The first flight went well... he landed, then it started raining. We got all our gear secures, but the planes all got a bit wet.

Once the rain cleared we put in another flight. Partway through the plane started reacting strangely and making a strange sound. I immediately took control and brought the plane in. The problem? One of the trim pieces on the LE of the right wing had partially let go, and was flipping up into the aistream and stalling the wing.

I've now gotten into the habit of sealing the LE of my wings with a single strip of ultracote or monokote that's wide enough to wrap around and cover about an inch on top and borrom. If the wing is a different color on top and bottom I use clear covering. Works great.

jcflysrc 10-06-2003 04:10 PM

That's a very good idea.

polstery 10-06-2003 06:18 PM

Sounds like real bad luck too me, Are you sure your not getting flutter and peeling the covering off. Those trainer like or second plane type planes can be oversped easily

Cheech 10-06-2003 06:35 PM

The covering is peeling off everywhere on my modeltech Magic. As much air time as this thing has and as wild as it's been flown, it is entitled to shed covering. It was a cheap ARF. I carry clear packing tape. Seems to work.