RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   hanger9 60 size p51 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/122903-hanger9-60-size-p51.html)

MOPAR 05-02-2002 08:45 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

ive got the new p51 60 size from h9. im puting a saito 100 in it. any input on what prop to use. and has anyone flown one of these yet. its a real nice looking plane. can hardly wait to get it together. any how if any one nows some nice props to use on this engine. thanks

Brylee 05-03-2002 03:28 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Putting it together now. Very nice plane. I am also putting in a Saito 100. Will probably use a 14x8 APC. Have you installed the airleron servos as suggested. My experience with the long servo arm through the hatch method usually results in too much throw. Of course this can be corrected with a computer radio. Has any one had this problem with this plane?

LuvBipes 05-03-2002 05:29 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Do not reduced the servo travel below about 80% using a computer radio, because this can induce flutter - particularly on ailerons. Ask me how I know!

If you're getting too much control surface deflection do one of these things:
Get taller control horns - like the Dubro 1/4 scale horns.
Enlarge the cutout in the servo hatch so that you can use a hole in the servo arm that's closer to the servo center.
Change the servo installation method from under the hatch to IN THE HATCH. This way the whole servo top is outside the wing and you don't need to use extra long servo arms.

Brylee 05-03-2002 05:38 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Thanks IVO

tailskid 05-04-2002 06:07 PM

Problems, Challanges, Opportunities :)

I at the stage of mounting the wing on to the fuse...no problems so far - but I did make a larger wing joiner - made it 11" long vrs. their 8.5".

Also getting the retract servo to work was a problem - until I raised the servo 1/4" - then no stalling!

I don't like the way they mount the retract doors - 4 nuts on the outside - ugh!!!!

This has been one of the best looking covering jobs I've ever seen!

Jerry

PS Might use that new Saito 100 on this one :)

Flying Scotsman 05-04-2002 08:22 PM

Photographs please

Guys,

I'm dying to buy one of these planes. Please, please, once you have built the plane and have it flying, post some pics!! :D Just for me!

Flying Scotsman

Brylee 05-06-2002 12:35 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Question to anyone building this plane. Are you getting too much airleron thrown if you mount the servos through the hatchs with the long servo arm as suggested in the instructions.

rcavi8ter 05-06-2002 06:23 PM

P-51 ReCover

I was wondering how hard it would be to recover the tail of the P-51 as I am wanting to do it in the scheme that is based here in Springfield IL. The P-51 is the worry bird and is one of the most fantastic P-51s in the world. It took Best P-51 at Oshkosh a few years back and I have never seen this scheme modeled.

Chris Puckett

Brylee 05-07-2002 02:53 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Tail skid what retract servo did you use. I read on another thread that a standard retract did not have enough throw and that a hitech 605 was used because you can adjust the end points.

tailskid 05-07-2002 03:51 PM

FMA Retract Servo

Brylee,

The retracts need 7/8" of throw to go from lock to lock. The FMA servo is working well now that it was raised up 1/4".

Concerning the remonokoting the tail feather Rcva8tor, should be no problem - it is just UltraCote.

I'm still debating the idea of changing the name - I don't know a "Marie" :)

Jerry

rcavi8ter 05-07-2002 05:46 PM

P-51 Motor

OK gang I am thinking of Slapping a YS 120 in the nose of one of these. I know it is going to be fast but do you think the airframe will handle it? Also what kind of prop clearance are you guys getting. I really want a RCV but don't think there is enough room for the correct prop. Does anyone make a 4 blade this size? Mine should be here today assuming all goes well.

Chris Puckett

Capt G 05-07-2002 08:40 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

I'm putting one together now. Engine will be YS .91 with 14x8 prop. Using long arms on the ailerons (3/4" from center) but control horns will be longer - 1" from aileron hinge line so should be no problem. Don't forget to seal the gaps! Only problem so far was fitting the wing which required cutting 1/8" from bottom of fuse mounting slot to saet wing flush. Saw this plane fly at the RC trade show which promoted my purchase. Nice speed and maneuverabilty and slow landing.

rcavi8ter 05-08-2002 12:19 AM

P-51

Ok everyone I got my Mustang and these are my questions. I want to make it look a little more scale. Has anyone thought about moving the tail wheel forward? Also has anyone tried struts on the bird. I saw the VQ struts and I was thinking about ordering them. I also want to maybe add drop tanks. I am recovering the bird in the Worry Bird scheme and will be going to the local airport to take some pics of the bird in the next few days. I have done a little work on the real P-51. It is a private museum that has volunteers work to keep the planes going. I got to help redo the mustang a couple of years back when a new motor was put in. It was my job to make sure the fairing for the horizontal to the fuse was taken off painted zinc chromate on the inside and polished on the outside then put back on the plane in the correct order. It was a great time. I also got to put a new floor in the nose of a B-25 where the nose gunner would sit. This is a very tight fit as I am a big boy and the through hole is only about 18". I rubbed all the way through it.

Chris Puckett
Puckett Model Aviation

Robotech 05-08-2002 01:24 AM

P51

Mine's all ready except for a spinner which should have been in at the LHS today. My retracts work great with a Cirrus low profile retract servo. Perfect throws. The control rods do rub the inside of the wheel wells so I too will probably raise the servo a 1/4 of and inch or so. I had to shave a little off the front wing post/tab to get the wing to seat properly.

I put a Saito 100 up front and I got a MA 14x7 3-bladed prop. I think maybe the 14x7 is a little to much for the 100. May pick up a 13x6 or 12x8 at the LHS before I fly it this weekend. :D

Capt G 05-08-2002 02:13 AM

guns?

for RCAV8er: Any thoughts on guns in the wings? How to do it?

tailskid 05-08-2002 12:30 PM

Guns and Drop Tanks!

Guns should not be too hard to install...some metal brass (K&S) tubing might be best....now what about drop tanks? Surely this bird would be a killer with 'em.....

Anyone know where some are available? Frank Tiano has some, but can't find the size...hummmmm, more internet searching!

Jerry

rcavi8ter 05-08-2002 03:53 PM

P-51

Ok Gang I went and got some pics of the real P-51 at the local airport. It looks like I will have to pull the invasion stripes off the wing. I already striped the tale of the yellow and started recovering the plane. As I pulled the yellow off the tips I noticed that it also pulled some of the silver off with it. Looks like fiberglass would, it has a weave look to it. I want to find out how to do this so when I go to pull the invasion stripes off I don't have any problems. One of the things that I was really impressed with was the build quality under the covering. Man I don't think that I could have done any better. This was one of the best built birds I have ever seen. For those of you that are almost done with your planes do you think that making the rudder a pull pull would work. I don't really like the servo's hanging out in the tale. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Chris Puckett
Still looking for drop tanks and oleo's

helihawks 05-09-2002 11:50 PM

Hanger nine P51D 'stang!

Guys;
I cannot believe that there aren't more posts on this
new plane! It is a WINNER!!!!!!!!!! :)
Our local HS was selling them at 216.95
and it actually sat on the shelf for a week!
Tim, the mgr, said lot of guys 'looked' at her, but
no one had bought it yet. I actually heard that he
told a friend of mine that he wondered if it would
ever sell!! Can you take it? :rolleyes:
I saw it and scarfed it! A nice new Saito FA-100 was
sitting on the shelf too!
When I got the box opened at the bench and looked
her over, I knew this was a finely constructed machine!
I ordered a set of ROBARTS for her! She deserves it!
(609HD - 85 degree w/ 3/16 axle.) 35$!!!!
Do yourself a favor and order a True turn 3.5 in spinner
and saito 8x1.25mm adapter for her! She deserves it!
Puttin the HD retracts in now and over the weekend.
Will post some pics next week. (Need to find cute gal
in bikini for this one!) Believe me, if you're into RC, you
won't be looking at the gal....)
Get one!
Byron 14x8 is in the middle of the propchart! Got 3! :cool: later...

rcavi8ter 05-10-2002 01:12 AM

H9 P-51

I had mine for about two minutes before I stipped the pretty yellow covering off the tail. I now have the wing joined, the horizontal, elevators and rudder recoverd. I coverd the rudder in Red and the rest of it in the same silver. I will be adding my own graphics for the name and N number. I will also be adding struts and drop tanks to mine. I went to the local airport and got some great shots of Worry Bird an Oshkosh winning P-51. I will try to post some pics tonight after I get the back half of the fuse covered. I will be trying to figure out a way to mount a more scale tailwheel tonight. I want to atleast move it forward a couple of inches and add some fake gear doors. I should have this bird ready to fly maybe this weekend. I plan on hanging this bird next to my F6F of the same scale at my grandfathers (WWII, Pearl Harbour Vet).

Chris Puckett
Puckett Model Aviation

mikerc 05-10-2002 01:19 AM

hanger9 60 size p51

Mine is ready. I have a Magnum .91 on the nose. Has anyone flown one yet?? How did it taxi? Mine nosed over while I was farting around in the front yard with it. Maybe my grass it too thick. Mine came out to 7.5 lbs complete. Should be a floater.

mikerc 05-10-2002 01:26 AM

Here is mine all done

1 Attachment(s)
Can't wait to fly her.

tailskid 05-10-2002 02:05 AM

Drop Tanks + Struts....

Guys, I just read Jeff Foley's account of his first flight with this plane - and it is apparently OVERpowered with the Saito 100... so that leaves only one REAL option - let's add some drag - we need some drop tanks - any ideas? Someone suggested Hobby Lobby had some - anyone have a catalog that shows 'em?

And for struts, surely Robat has 'em...right????

Let's load this bird down and enter some scale contests :)

Jerry

MOPAR 05-10-2002 02:34 AM

hanger9 60 size p51

i just joined my wings tonight. and went over all the joints in the fuse where the wings bolt and allover the inside of the firewall joints. just a precautionary measure. never had one come loose while doing this. it is one of the most butiful planes ive seen. i had a great planes p51 for a long time. it was ok. but not to great. this one puts it to shame. my wife got it for me for my birthday. i can hardly wate to get it together. got a saito 100. im going to put it together by the book. and using a hitec 605 for retracts. im going to use the stock retracts. they look pretty heavy duty. and where i fly. i cut the grass now. so its cut as low as the mower will hog it. when i get it done and fly it. i will post how it went. its so butiful i kinda dont want to fly it. i like to just gaze upon it. and since my wife got it for me its sentimental. but i will fly it. and hope she flys well. again its a really awsome looking plane. lets hope she flys as good as it looks. but then theres the weather in ohio. {the armpit of it all} 30 mph winds. rain rain and more rain and wind. im in the basement working on them more than flying cause of weather. kinda like to flyem once in awhile. take care everyone. glad to hear so many like this plane. after the flight ill be back. take care bill :p

Capt G 05-10-2002 02:45 AM

hanger9 60 size p51

For : RCAV8R - Did you figure out how to move the tailwheel forward?

Brylee 05-10-2002 12:28 PM

hanger9 60 size p51

Putting one together now too. One issue she seems a little fragile to me. The sheeting on the wings is really thin you have to be careful, any little pressure and it will crack. I made the mistake of picking it up out of the box by the tail and the sheeting cracked between the cut out for the veritcal and horizontal stablizers. Easily fixable but it shouldn't have happend. Also what are you guys using to trim the retract wires. Those things are tough a regular old wire cutter doesn't do it.