RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Cub vs Great Planes Cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1393376-hangar-9-cub-vs-great-planes-cub.html)

T. Mitchell 01-01-2004 11:45 AM

Hangar 9 Cub vs Great Planes Cub

I will be buying a Cub ARF sometime soon. PLease help me pick one. I like both!! Everyones input would help.

Happy New Year

Troy

T. Mitchell 01-01-2004 08:34 PM

RE: Hangar 9 Cub vs Great Planes Cub

I know there have to be some cub fliers around !!! Whats your pick???

Thanks
Troy

conkster 01-01-2004 08:52 PM

hey troy,
i got the hangar 9 super cub on the day before xmas. i got to fly it today.i really like hangar 9 arf`s. the supercub is a beautiful plane and easy to assemble. the j3 cub is almost identical. it is a good flying airplane. i put a q 35 [quadra] in it , can you say way overpowered? it took a 2200 mah 6 volt batt. and 10 to 12 more ozs. in the tail to balance it.even at that it will pull a long vertical line. it looks funny seeing a cub going straight up for a couple hundred feet! i don`t know much about great planes cub but i don`t think you can go wrong with the h9 cub or any h9 arf for that matter. good luck on your choice & have fun with it.
conk

majik 01-02-2004 10:55 AM

Both are very nice ARF's. I like the Great Planes more because it is cloth coverd.

Jemo 01-02-2004 02:12 PM

The H9 Cub's are fabric covered also. Very hard to clean, at least my super cub is. Good flying plane, the 40 degrees of flaps are neat also.

4*60 01-02-2004 04:16 PM

The Hangar 9 80 inch ARF Cub I have is not fabric covered, but I love it's looks and the way it flies with an ASP 61FS engine, on wheels or floats!

Jimmbbo 01-02-2004 04:16 PM

Have the GP J3 partially assembled - I like the overal quality, the fabric job is well done, instructions are clear... Landing gear is simplified, and wing strut attach looks a bit under designed if you need to remove the wing for transportation - will have to beef them up with thread inserts in the wings. Large note in instructions requires that the struts be attached for flying, so can't just leave 'em off.... :D

HTH

Jim

Jemo 01-02-2004 05:49 PM

My H9 super cub 100" is fabric covered. I made the top window and the struts easy to remove so you don't have to remove all those screws.
I have flown it with and without the struts, they are not functional, but I felt it flew better with them on, maybe just a bit less wing flex,???.

conkster 01-02-2004 08:32 PM

the fab. covering on my supercub got stained from the exhaust. it`s a black residue that will not come off. with the flaps deployed at 1.5 inches & the rpms at idle , the cub would slow to a walking pace & float across the runway. i couldn`t land it with the flaps down.it`ll probably fly backwards in a slight breeze.

Blackhawk RCU 01-02-2004 09:10 PM

I have several cubs 3, which are 1/4 Sig's one clipped wing. I also have two Hanger 9's, a J3 and a Super Cub, love them. In addition I have a GP 80" which I have been very disapointed in. I think Hanger 9 is way ahead esp. in product quality. I have a GP Extra 300 that I like very much but the Cub leaves much to be desired. Sloppy covering and poor quality wood.

SteveD-RCU 01-03-2004 09:05 AM

Ive have a 100"Hanger 9 J3 that Ive been flying about 3 years.With a gasser in it (a 31cc Ryobi) its overpowered and heavy.Now I have a OS 120 surpass in it and its much better. If I were to get a J3 now I'd go for Dave Patricks J3 in 1/4 scale.It has a more scale look to it to me.I once had a 1/3 Balsa USA cub with a 62 Zenoah in it and that was a great flier.Biggers better but in 1/4 scale for an arf I'd look at DP's.

T. Mitchell 01-03-2004 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I think i'm going to go with the hangar 9 100 in.

Thanks again

Troy

Blackhawk RCU 01-03-2004 05:51 PM

Good choice you won't be sorry. I fly mine with a Saito 150. It will cruise at a scale speed at just under 1/2 throttle. I like the 150 for take offs in tall grass but I think a good 120 will work.