RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   World Models Spitfire (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/18298-world-models-spitfire.html)

Shihtzutan 06-14-2003 12:12 AM

World Models Spitfire

Just picked this thing up and I'm somewhat disappointed. After going through the box, noticed all kinds of sloppy craftsmanship. The instructions absolutely suck, I tossed them aside on step 3 (I'm guess I'm on my own). Some damage from poor packaging, heavy rub marks through the film and onto the wood underneath. The struts wires are wound backwards. One of the retract screws is so crooked it won't seat properly. The torque rods for the flaps and elevators are loose and sloppy; it looks like they used contact cement (rubbery glue)! I stripped it and found damaged balsa under the paper as well, not to mention factory repairs! Oh yeah, factory repairs - a balsa patch on the left wing and cracks in two locations that looks like it was caused from excessive finger pressure - it kind of had that thumb look to it.

There is much work ahead to straighten this out. And to think I bought an ARF to get in the air quicker . . . . silly me! So as a cautionary note, if you get one of these, go through it thoroughly. All in all, the engineering seems good, but I doubt I'm be getting another World Models airplane soon.

docpaul 06-27-2003 12:32 AM

World Models Spitfire

1 Attachment(s)
Yikes! I'd return this kit to the place you bought it from. First rule...NEVER buy an ARF from a mail or web-based order house. There is great variability in quality with these products which are often manufactured and shipped in large containers from China or southeast Asia. Quality control is sadly lacking by many distributors in the United States, resulting in the product you received.
My World Spit was very well made & constructed apart from the imperfections I noted on my earlier thread. I have now flown it about 30 times from an ashphalt runway at our club and have had no problems. It is a tempermental warbird, just like the full scale was and will challenge you no matter how skilled you are. I would not recommend kit-bashing this one....just enjoy it as it is. You will have a blast coming in low & fast on a straiffing run with the gear retracted. My OS FS 70 is very adequate up front, and the cowl does not look that bad at all!
Good luck buddy,
-Paul[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ballgunner 06-27-2003 01:33 AM

World Models Spitfire

The only World Models airplane I have heard anything good about was the P-51. I don't know about any of their other stuff but the remarks so far scare me away. I have built two ARFs and one ARC and all of them came from USA websites. They were apparently made in China as well. One was a Sig LT40 ARF and although it was fairly well constructed and the covering was a bit loose Sig included a note to the effect that the model did come from China and that the shipping may have influenced its condition. I appreciated the information. Sig also backs up everything they sell and I'm sure if there was any real damage they would have made it right. Buy from people you know and can trust.

gilligan371 07-05-2003 08:04 AM

World Models Spitfire

I have assembled and flown two World Models ARF's, Frontier 40 and a Rambler 40. And had a friend who had a Midget mustang. We both thought the quality of the planes was good. The only complaint I have ever heard was that the landing gear on the Midget mustang was soft. But I also hear that about other kits. If I ever decided to buy a ARF again and it was came down to the Manufacture, I would chose World models.

crownvic 07-07-2003 09:44 AM

World Models Spitfire

have several arfs by hanger 9 and Greatplanes these are very good quality and well built with nice covering jobs

Shihtzutan 07-08-2003 05:01 PM

World Models Spitfire

Well I'm just about done 'bashing' the World Models Spit and have fixed everything I've had an issue with, right now it's sitting in primer. I'll post a pic soon. For all those who ask, I'd be glad to explain how and what I fixed or enhanced on this particular model. Rest assured, World Models will be getting a letter from me! As for other ARF's out there, Koyosho still ranks #1 with me, but they are pricey. Replacement parts for Koyosho's are absurd! Great Planes scores low because I don't like how they do things (engineering). Hanger 9 although I haven't yet purchased one, seems to be the up and comer. A friend of mine picked up a .60 size AT-6 and it looked real nice.

Overall, I still prefer to build from kits. Top Flite's are my favorite, but then again, I gravitate to warbirds.

Shihtzutan 08-08-2003 06:29 PM

World Models Spitfire

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here's my 11 lb beast. It flies OK but has some bad habits.