RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   KATANA . 50 Is it too heavy ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/2483334-katana-50-too-heavy.html)

Zafer 12-30-2004 01:52 PM

KATANA . 50 Is it too heavy ?

Hi guys,

I have posted this a week ago and still didnt get any reply.
So I want to ask you guys what is the weight of your Katana .50 ( From Ultra RC or From CMP PRO - They are just same)

Here is the rest of the post>

"I have ordered my Katana .50 from Austria , since they (LHS) dont have it in Switzerland. I should get it in these days...

I saw in your advertisements that Katana .50 will weight 4,5 - 5,5 Lbs. which can be translated like 2 - 2,4 kgs. which is not bad.

But in CMP site I saw their claims that it will be 2,75 - 2,85 kgs which is 6 - 6,3 Lbs. which will be very heavy. I would like to know if they produce special planes for Ultra RC. Or is there any misprint or anything.....

Could you please enlighten us a little bit..."

Thanky you for the inputs. Have a happy new year.

Regards.

Zafer

rspiegel 12-31-2004 05:10 AM

RE: KATANA . 50 Is it too heavy ?

I will try to get by to a scale and whiegh my soon.

ertman_176 12-31-2004 06:41 AM

Hi
My english is translate by program
I wanted to ask what engine you assemble for your katana??
I considered purchase this model { thats only 175 dolars} but i dont now what engine assemble to katana { I think 4 storke 70 be ideal }
What do you thint ??

Zafer 12-31-2004 10:25 AM

Hi Ertman,

I think 4 stroke .70 will be very good. Actually CMP Pro advises .63 YS 4 stroke. But I have a 2 stroke .53 Irvine at hand. So I have to try this at first. 2 stroke engines will need pitts style mufflers.

I am still waiting for my plane to be delivered from HS in Austria. Post offices during Christmas and new years times are always very busy.

You have a very good translation program.

Regards.

Zafer

Zafer 01-01-2005 04:36 AM

Hi guys,

Nobody has this plane.?..................... Since no replies for the weight of Katana .50 I think this plane is really a crap......

Anyway, when I got the plane (still waiting) I will write every detail from here this is for sure...... Nothing will go undetected..................

The thing that I cannot understand if they ( Ultra RC) will not answer questions, why they make a support forum for..........

RC Universe may be make them move.........

Regards.

Zafer

ertman_176 01-01-2005 06:33 AM

Zafer
My level of ability doesn't allow me on even this array purchase { though I very would like to fly } becouse i only lern fly { dlg glider} but certainly I have fallen in love with forms of katana to model manner.

Latanie na Luzie {Fly on Freely} - Forum/club happen in poland where we {club-men together} affect too market through expressing opinion about polish model products { and not only polish products} and polish shops.
We have contact with owners, vendors and producers of models {kits etc.}
We don't buy nothing in shops where vendors are impolite etc.

loading 01-01-2005 09:40 PM

I have not finished my Katana yet, but I put everything on the scale and it was 5.5 lbs. I did not have the cowl on. My engine is a Magnum 52 with a pitts muffler.

Just so you know, my engine and muffler weigh about 1.2 lbs

dasintex 01-03-2005 11:40 AM

Loading; I'm interested in getting this Ultra RC Katana, I plan to put a YS-53 4S in it; let me know how you find this ARF, good and bad would be apreciated. Thanks

nightchook 01-03-2005 07:02 PM

Hi guys, just for your interest, I have been flying my Katana .50 for about 4 months now, I have a Magnum 91 Four Stroke up front with a 15x6 prop, I did have to put a little lead on the tail but let me assure you you this plane is fun and not too heavy at all, the surfaces may be a little small for true 3D but to put it in perspective for you, when in an inverted flat spin I can get it to gain height for a short time.
Again with the 91 up front it isn't too heavy so for all you guys using 50 to 70 size 4 strokes you will have no probs at all.

Cheers
Troy

Zafer 01-10-2005 08:37 AM

Finally, I have got the KATANA .50 from mail.

I will post building with details.

Regards,

Zafer

Zafer 03-30-2005 03:36 AM

Hi guys,

After a very long winter, we have restarted flying in Switzerland.

I have also built the Katana, CMP Pro ARF kit is not the best quality IMHO.

I have used .53 Irvine engine with bisson pitts muffler, Hitec servos ( 475 and 635 karbonites )and a Hitec receiver.

Weight is 2.600 grs. ( 5,7 Lbs. ) without wheel pants, spinner and fuel. I have used 4,8V battery to save some weight.

I think it is still a heavy plane. I wish it had less weight or more wing area. Anyhow, I will see how it flies...... and post a report.

Regards.

Zafer

tIANci 03-30-2005 05:29 AM

Watch this video in the review and then tell me what you guys think of the plane ...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=421

loading 03-30-2005 11:40 PM

I have been flying mine for a while now. I have to say, I like it. I have been having engine problems, but as ussual it was my own fault. I just got it fixed, but its been too windy to fly. I have landed about 5 dead sticks with it now, and I can say that it has enough wing area for its weight. Each dead stick was a piece of cake. I just happen to be high enough or in the right place to get to a nice place to land, but the landings where easy. With those big alerons, rolls are blindingly fast. It flat spins very nicely. It wants to go toward the belly in KE, but not too bad. My CG is still in the stock location, so I may mess with that or just mix it out. As far as 3D goes, since my motor wastn't running reliably, I didn't attempt any thing. I have the Magnum 52 running a APC 12x6 prop. This gives me plenty of speed. And I mean plenty, this is that fastest plane I have. But, I still get unlimited vertical. I haven't really tried to see what it would hover at, but I don't think the 52 is going to put out enough power to do anything close to the ground. I am not in the same league as the guy that flew this plane in the video though. As far as the ARF goes. For "Ease of putting the ARF Togather" I would give it an Average (I had some missing parts and I don't really like the spring for holding the wings). For ARF constuction, I would give it Above Average (No gaps and the Tail was nice and straight)

Zafer 04-01-2005 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I wanted to post some photos of my Katana before maiden flight possibly tomorrow or the day after if tomorrow it rains..... Just in case..............

Regards. Zafer

Zafer 05-01-2005 01:21 PM

Hi again,

So, after a long break, I have had time to go to the field this weekend.

Saturday, I have flown with Acromaster 3D trainer. I liked the new prop ( 14x6) better than the old (and broken) 15x4W. It pulls better moves faster still lands very slow. This plane is getting better by the time ( after each crash it weights more:):D ).

Sunday I took the Katana. My Katana weights 2.800 gr. ( 6,16 Lbs ) Maiden flight was O.K. I must say it flies very good, rolls are quick, snaps are super, infact it always looks for a snap:eek:. You have to keep your throttle above half. Otherwise[:o] it snaps . And you have to land it fast, I mean fast ( x2 faster than your trainer lands). I Have a .53 Irvine with pitts muffler an 12x5 prop. It flies fast, I like fast planes ( but I would like to land slowly ). It didnt require any trims:). I also manage to fly KEs.

If I can keep in my mind that lands faster ( better I should program my radio for a higher idle ) I think I can survive with this plane.

To make the long story short, It is not what I was afraid of. Better than expected. But I must say if it would have weighted a pound less. It would be sooooooo nice.

Thanks and regards.

Zafer

tIANci 05-01-2005 11:21 PM

Any 40 sized plane at 5.5 lbs or less is definately very nice! Anyways, its only a hot landing, not a terribly hot one right? :) When will you be flying her like in the RCU video???!!!

rspiegel 06-01-2005 05:53 PM

Ok sorry to reply so late. I just put the 4th flight on mine. I have crashed it 3 times[&o]. Some due to my fault/motor not running right. Ok I had a saito 91 in it the first 3 times. and a 2300NIMh battery pack 4.5oz. I think it was a tad to heavy t that time. I did not have a scale. But it's much lighter now. Now I have a Magm 52 with a 12.25x3.75 I think. I put a 600Nicad 3oz back in it and put a 9g servo on the throttel. I also moved the rudder servo to the back. This helps the ballanceing. Before I would have to put battery behind servos.(with Saito91) I have an 225bb on order and it will go on elivator. the plane flew great. It wieghs a lot less now. I also programed in flaps. and seems to slow it down for landing. I did have dual rates setup but the high rates were to much for normal flight. Maybe good for 3D. I have broken the LandingGear out. I have renforced it a lot. As it is now the battery is on top of the spar/tube. I also took out the spring and put in a zip tie(save wieght). All this is to save every last bit of wieght. I also took a dremel and cut all the screws that were long. So have to give props to this plane. It does fly good [:-]:eek:. I will try to get a video up soon. Also one last thing I conected the elivators with a piece of carbon rod. Still have control rods on both side just wanted to have them move with each other. Thanks hope to do low knifeedge next...... Richard I will weight it soon.