RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Thunder Tiger Champion 45s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/298733-thunder-tiger-champion-45s.html)

rap1404 10-03-2002 12:30 AM

Thunder Tiger Champion 45s

Hi, im just looking for some 'reviews' of this airplane, the pros and cons.. does it fly good, etc...

thanks

Reinaldo

robinr767 06-10-2003 02:17 AM

I'm told it is a great sport + airplane.

I've got one NEW in box if looking to buy.

Will sell for reasonable price.

MrMulligan 06-10-2003 02:55 AM

It's a good flying plane. My buddy and I each bought one a couple of years ago in a special deal from Ace who was distributing them at the time. It came with a TT.46 and four servos. The wing mounted landing gear is a problem. My buddy's came out on his 2nd landing causing a rebuild of the wing. It was an ordinary landing, not hard. Mine did the same on the third landing and pretty much destroyed the wing. Very disappointed. My buddy was able to rebuild but I couldn't. He eventually relocated the landing gear to the fuselage. I loved the way it flew. I have the shoulder wing version for a future build. It shouldn't have a landing gear problem.

rockmon 06-10-2003 12:57 PM

MrMulligan, if you want a wing I will give you one you pay the shipping and it's yours. I bought the plane for twenty bucks and was going to turn it into a rocket with my webra and a pipe but too many planes and plans so I offed the fuse and kept the wing for??? If you want it it's yours.

kaboomski 06-10-2003 04:47 PM

Sweet flyer

I have had the 45s for about a year. It is a very stable flyer and performs well with the TT46PRO. The assembly is easy. The covering is not heat shrinking.

Please note that the 45s has the "trike" landing gear. The 45L is a tail dragger with the landing gear mounted to the wing. I have heard that some people had problems with the 45L and its landing gear.

The Model Airplane News has reviewed the 45s, you can read it here.

--kaboomski;

MrMulligan 06-10-2003 09:54 PM

Sorry guys, I misread the thread. I guess I have a bit of a blind spot toward Thunder Tiger planes. Had a problem with a Tiger Sport 40 L also. Love their .46 though, it's a real runner.

doctorgo 06-10-2003 10:17 PM

Greetings, Reinaldo.
There is an ARF in the same category as the TT and I believe was the plane of choice for the Georgia State Pattern guys. It's the Global Avenger 45, the last of those with built-up and capstripped wings (as opposed to foam) and covered in UltrCote. It's wingspan is 59" and 51" in oal. The bare plane is said to weigh 3.5 pounds and will perform exceptionally well with a TT .46.
Regards,
DGO

tiggerinmk 06-16-2003 01:44 PM

Just found one of these...

I just found one of these (45S) in a LHS. It's the 'standard' combo that comes with the TT pro 46 engine and HS-300 servos.

As far as I can tell you just need to install your own receiver and battery.

Ant ideas on what this should be worth? The LHS has it priced @ $279-

robinr767 06-16-2003 07:26 PM

I'll sell you an Champion 45S new in box for $115 shipped. Get a better engine (OS 45 fx) for about $85 (here in classified). Buy a complete radio system which includes servos. Learn and have fun putting it all together.
Good Luck

rap1404 06-16-2003 09:59 PM

45s

i had that plane for about a month its a great plane but the problem is that the wing mount breaks so the wings fall off the plane in flight so if you buy one you better glass it or reinforce it i lost mine in a turn. but great plane fast and forgiving

reinaldo

Capt. Larry 06-16-2003 10:05 PM

Don,t have the 45S, I did build the 45L. A good looking ARF. The only problem I had with this plane was the wheel pants. You must land straight, or these pants will crack easily. I,ve replaced them twice. A nice basic pattern plane.

Jack_K 08-22-2021 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by rap1404 (Post 298742)
i had that plane for about a month its a great plane but the problem is that the wing mount breaks so the wings fall off the plane in flight so if you buy one you better glass it or reinforce it i lost mine in a turn. but great plane fast and forgiving

reinaldo

Still available? I'll take it.