RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Antenna routing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3063290-antenna-routing.html)

GJAUBIN 06-11-2005 07:05 AM

Antenna routing?

I'm trying to finish up an Ultra RC YAK and I'm to the antenna routing stage. I was going to try a Deans whip, but just dont have the courage to cut the receiver antenna.

I have run a tube from the back of the fuse, but am worried about the antenna running parallel to the pull-pull rudder wire. The tube runs under, then crosses, then runs above the pull-pull. It does not come in contact anywhere along the run. Is this OK or should I find another way to route the antenna?

Looking at the run it looks like the closest they get to each other is about 3/4".

E-Mo 06-11-2005 08:06 AM

RE: Antenna routing?

if you have already ran the tube, i would say set it up

then go thorugh your range check

also check with the eng running too

is the tube plastic? or waxed cardboard?

chances are the anntana will be insulated

running through the fuse is a clean set up

any chance of exiting out the anntana just behind the t/e

if you are geting glitches?

let us know of your findings...

GJAUBIN 06-11-2005 08:34 AM

The tube is plastic. I have it exiting out the botton of the fuse just fore of the tail wheel assembly. I 'll leave it this way and do a range check.

My main concern was running parallel to the pull-pull. This is the first time with this set up and wasn't sure about the routing.

Thanks

Sturtz 06-11-2005 09:32 AM

I run all mine that way (tubed) I've never had a problem. I don't exit them out the tail either. Unless the bare antenna wire is touching the pull-pull cables and if they are crossed somewhere creating a metal to metal RF-static-interferance you should be ok.
Although I do know several veteran RC pilots who cringe at the sight of a hidden antenna. I don't run hidden antennas on planes I plan on taking above 3000 feet or flying at extreme distances. Your Yak is a plane that needs to be kept close anyway. You'll be fine I betcha.

JJPs51D 06-11-2005 12:28 PM

I hope you dont mind jumping in here but are you talking about keeping the antenna hidden in the fuselage ? If so is there some sort of conflict in doing this with guide wires , servos and the such ? I would like to do this on my P51 which is why im asking.

rflasch 06-11-2005 04:24 PM

So much depends on the equipment you are using....Good rule of thumb...if you can run your antenna outside the fuse DO IT. Try to avoid crossing servo lead wires (and extensions)....definitely isolate your power lead from all servo leads to avoid any chance of crossover...jmho do as you like!!

Salty25 06-11-2005 06:27 PM

On my planes with pull-pull I usually run the antenna out of the bottom and along the fuse to the tail. I put a small piece of tubing in the hole so the wire doesn't rub on the fuse. The wire stays outside the fuse and is basically invisible, unless you hold it upside down.

My understanding on the tail wires are to have some plastic in the loop to break up the metal to metal contact. I was told if you run your antenna through the wires that are all metal you could get RF interference. I only had one plane with a full set of tail wires, SSE, and it had plastic tips so I didn't have a problem.

GJAUBIN 06-11-2005 06:52 PM

Just to clarify, I have run a tube the length of the fuse inside and then exited just in front of the tail wheel. The tube starts out above the pull-pull, goes down to the bottom of the fuse and then exits below the pull-pull. They do cross each other at some point inside the fuse but they never touch. As stated in an earlier post, the minimum distance from each other is approx 3/4". At the rear of the fuse I will have approx. 3 to 4" of antenna exposed.

Salty25 06-11-2005 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I understood your situation, thought I'd offer a suggestion on how I route mine.

Does your pull-pull criss cross or run down both sides? Most run them straight down the sides but there are people that have them cross in the fuse; it's suppose to be easier on the servo or something.

If you do cut the antenna on the rcx and don't like it you can always solder a new on. It's not hard, unless you don't know how to solder; but maybe you can get someone to do it for you.

However, if it was my plane.... I'd go with the wire under the fuse. You can see how I did it on my 4*60 that had pull-pull. Small piece of fuel tubing in the hole to prevent chaffing, a clip on the inside for stress relief and one at the far end to hold tension. I've done this on a lot of my planes.

This is just a suggestion of another possibility. I don't know if you will have probs with running the wire inside with the cables for your pull-pull.

Good luck.

GJAUBIN 06-12-2005 07:58 AM

Sorry if I came across snotty, wasn't my intention. I ran the antenna on my 4*40 the same way as you Salty and works great. I wanted to try and keep the YAK as clean as possible. I was going to try a whip inside the fuse but just couldn't bring myself to cut the antenna and then find out it didn't work.

The pull-pull is straight down the sides, no crossing. I will be taking the YAK out today for radio check and engine tuning. Hope to get in the air this week.

JoeAirPort 06-12-2005 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can use the antenna tube but it should not come anywhere withing 2 inches of the antenna. And it should only come 2 inches for a short length (not the entire antenna 2 inches parallel to the pull pull cables). You will lose range if you do. You can make little balsa tabs with slots in them and just glue them all over the inside of the fuse. Then string the antenna through the slots in the tabs. I did this on my last plane and it is totally glitch free and passes the range test.

One thing I don't like about using the tube and running it all the way back into the tail is that is gets so cramped back there. There can be elevator servo leads, the elevator servos, pull pull cables, tail wheel, and even some metal for holding in the removable stab halves. So trying to push that tube back there you may be fine until the very end of the antenna, it's likely to touch one of those things I listed if it's too far back.

Note in my 2nd pic that I go back about half way, then I do a u-turn and come back to the front again to use up the antenna length. This is a totally glitch free setup and the range is great (I got tired of walking).

JAkridge 06-12-2005 11:26 AM

I am using the Revolution whip antenna in 3 of my planes "with out" a bit of trouble. I really think I got better range checks from them and for sure not less. I had a hard time cutting the antenna on the first plane I used this antenna in, but after I did it and did my range check, I went and ordered 3 more Revolution antennas. These are very similar to the Deans type. I have used the tube, I have used the back and forth method, and I have ran them out side of the plane, and yes on some of the planes I have if I can run them out side and not make the plane look crappy with the wire hanging out I will, nothing wrong with running it outside. just the look of it.
The first time I tryed it, I was having glitch problems on a 25% size plane, while running the wire inside the fuse makeing back and forth turns like joeairports, but it just wasnt working, so I went to a tube through the fuse, I have 2 servos in the tail running the elev.'s. So I made sure to put the wire clear to the other side of the servo leads, that still did'nt give me glitch free service. I gave the Revolution a try after a Jet guy told me not to worry about cutting the wire and that most if not all Jet guys use some type of base loaded antenna.
So at some point give the base loaded antennas a try.
Worked for me.
25% 540 Edge (base loaded antenna)
OMP profile 540 Edge (base loaded antenna)
WM P-47 combat plane (base loaded antenna)

Next to be installed with a Revolution base loaded antenna ( Hanger -9 Extra 260 27% )

Good Luck on what ever you use. lets hope for a glitch free plane..:)