RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3102050-new-hanger-9-p-51-mustang-%2A%2Atrainer-%2A%2A.html)

isaacsgs 06-29-2005 01:16 PM

RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

you could always buy it, and the ebay the radio, but I agree, it would be nice to be able to buy it as a kit so you could use any radio.

isaacsgs 06-29-2005 01:18 PM

i would still like to hear from someone that has flown this plane. Anyone??

rcfury 06-29-2005 01:55 PM

this plane is not released yet... So nobody had flown it. I got the owner of my hobbyshop to put some on backorder. Dont know when we will recieve them...

MMcConville 06-29-2005 08:28 PM

Of course I've flown it extensively. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

martno1fan 06-30-2005 12:40 PM

now this one looks interesting!!,i only wish id seen it before i forked out for my tutor 40 trainer!!!.

FiveO 06-30-2005 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Of course I've flown it extensively. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
Mike, do y'all plan on releasing it as an ARF? At least sans Tx and Rx? I'd be on one quick if you do.

rcfury 06-30-2005 10:46 PM

I think that would be a great move within horizon / hanger-9... At least there not packaging the plane with junk like some of the arf trainers ive came across. With my experience working at my shop id run into a couple of people who rather put their own stuff in the plane so they have something to grow with. A basic 4 channel would last a while but once you step into other planes you would need a little more TX.

BR289 07-02-2005 08:33 AM

Greetings,
I am an instructor with our club, and to be honest with the new guys ( Girls ), in my opinion a taildragger is easier to fly than a high-wing model. We have had quite a few newbies "worry" about getting their first taildragger, until their first take-off with one, then for the most part, they quickly lose their "Goosebumps" and realize that a taildragger is much easier than they thought.
I think this plane will work fine with the "additions" Hanger 9 has put on it, but it may actually land too slow. The Nexstar was a pain to fly, until I removed the speed brakes, and anti-stall things on the wing......
Good luck to any of you getting this plane,and may you have many happy flights with it.....its pretty neat!

tailskid 07-02-2005 04:10 PM

Mike McConville,

Are they shipping them yet?

Jerry

airskiner 07-02-2005 11:08 PM

hi im new here:eek:

airskiner 07-02-2005 11:10 PM

hi im new here:eek:

tailskid 07-03-2005 01:40 AM

Airskiner....welcome aboard!

Jerry

txaggie08 07-03-2005 03:12 AM

i guess my biggest problem with it is the fact it only comes with a JR radio. personaly, futaba and airtronics are the poison of choice at my field. the one guy i know who flies jr has his own extra radio for a buddy box....

LSP972 07-03-2005 08:27 AM

Like kerrydel said, offering the "complete package" is just a ploy to get the newbie flying JR radios. If you'll recall, The Empire did the same thing with the NexStar at first. You could only buy it with the engine, radio, auto pilot AND sim. The package was actually very reasonably priced, but they lost a lot of sales to guys like me who only needed an airframe and had no use for that other stuff. I'm pretty sure that you can now purchase just the model if that's all you want.

I imagine this offering will be similar. They'll push it for a while as a complete package, then just the plane and engine, then perhaps just the airframe?

At any rate, one thing is certain; these guys (Horizon and The Empire) are not sitting on their hands. Now, if this park flyer fad will just run its course so they can get back to concentrating on real airplanes...:D

DarkWombat 07-07-2005 03:16 AM

HAH! Parkflyers are the new wave, get used to it :P

I for one really like this P-51, but they probably won't release an ARF for some time, which is why I'm just going to buy an old Solo Strike ARF kit that's been sitting on our wall for a couple of years. I'll learn with that one and then get this P-51 when it's a kit so I can just swap the engine and radio equipment out and go fly that one.

So, Mike, any word of whether Hangar 9 plans to release this as an ARF anytime after its original release? Also, do you know if it would be possible to mount retracts without a lot of hassle? :D

martno1fan 07-07-2005 06:50 AM

dont be so lazy!!!,the only way to learn how to fix a plane when you crash it is to learn how to build one 1st!!.plus think of how much pride youll have in your plane knowing you built it?.its not so hard to build a plane either just take your time.

bubbagates 07-07-2005 07:59 AM

Mike,

Since you offered to answer questions no one has responded then I will be the first. I am asking for responses based on the new pilot and his/her concerns. Easy to fly for you and me is one thing, for a new pilot is completely different.

1. the landing gear. How tough is it. I am concerned about it being in the wings and the normal tendencies of the new pilot to be pretty hard on the landing gear at times. So I can see where a really rough landing can literally destroy the wing.

2. low speed handling. I have flown other planes will all the stuff bolted to the wings and they can be slowed quite allot but I have to admit that they fly much better to me without everything hanging off of them. As far as new pilots are concerned, the extras will help but at times can introduce bad habits. So to help unlearn theser habits, I'll usually leave the things on until they are pretty proficient at takeoffs and landings plus basic aerobatics. So my next question is:

3. How does it handle with all the extras removed.

Now I do like the look. I think Hangar 9 and yourself have come up with a winner. Good luck with it and I cannot wait to see/fly one.

LSP972 07-07-2005 08:07 AM

<<Parkflyers are the new wave, get used to it.>>

I don't have to get used to it.

"New wave"??? Yeah; right.

rcfury 07-07-2005 08:55 AM

Well i could definatly see a rise in sales with the parkflyers today than eariler. As battery technology and power systems get more superior it will probally get better. I myself cought the foamy bug not to long ago.

Steve i can agree with you for what you say... Since i do work here at hobbytown nextstar sales are not quite the best as with our other trainers that are in the ARF form. The superstar 40 (RIP) has always been a great seller with us since its just the fuse and the customer can put what he or she wants in it. Then again ive been noticing a lot of lazy people too. They dont want to buy everything seperate and rather have everything included. Thats where i see a problem becasue newbie pilots doesn't get a chance to see how to set up a radio system. So they dont know how to fix anything that goes wrong with it or to properally hook up pushrods etc.

LSP972 07-07-2005 12:00 PM

<<...a lot of lazy people...>>

That right there is the big reason I have a problem with these park flyers. Before the advent of all this plug'n'play stuff, not just any hambone with the bucks could participate. You had to make the effort to learn a few basics (such as frequency control!) if you were to have any chance at all of success. A fellow who had just plunked down three or four hundred bucks for a plane and set-up was a LOT more inclined to seek competent help/instruction.

Thanks mainly to the seductive, and often misleading, copy splattered across the full-page color ads in the mags (and on this site, come to think of it:eek:), any individual with money now thinks its a piece of cake, just open the box and get after it.

So, while these things no doubt bring in some new blood to the hobby, and provide fun for experienced folks as well, they also open the hobby up to some people who should stick to video games, if you get my drift. My concern is two-fold; first, I'll be honest and say that, from a purely selfish standpoint, the fact that I no longer dare fly my helos in my one acre back yard annoys me greatly.

But secondly, and far more important, I worry that one of these devil-may-care individuals will cause some disaster that will bring un-wanted official attention to our hobby. We have enough trouble policing ourselves; that poor fellow who was killed by a newbie and his helicopter in Houston a while back... the incident with the jet in Kalifornia that saw a popular field closed... the list goes on. And these involved serious modelers. I just am greatly irritated that similar incidents loom, involving restless guys looking for cheap thrills who are dabbling in our hobby, on the way to the next brief area of interest.

That's my position, and I'm sticking to it...;)

DarkWombat 07-07-2005 01:01 PM

Well, there are surely greater risks involved now with so many people flying, but also it's a matter of what plane it is. If you got hit with a Firebird, I'm sure you'd be in much better condition than by a .40-sized trainer. Yes, Parkflyers are dangerous of course, but in many cases they are much less dangerous than the "big boys". I think if someone doesn't want to plop down $300 in this hobby from the start to start flying, why shouldn't they spend $85 on a Firebird II that comes with everything they need to fly so they can start learning. At the hobby shop I work at we all make an effort to steer new flyers towards the Firebirds, because they're excellent trainers, we don't recommend a Parkzone P-51 even though it looks cool, (although I still regret having to sell one to a guy who didn't have a clue what he was getting into, after repetedly answering the same questions from him and telling him that the P-51 is NOT for beginners).

Yes, people think flying a plane is easy, just as they think that flying a Blade CP will be easy. Just ask the guy who tried flying one for the first time...in his kitchen. There are a lot of stupid people out there, but there are also smart people who have a basic idea what they're getting into and are willing to listen to those more experienced and take their advice. I've sold numerous Firebirds to people who understood that this isn't such an easy thing to learn, and I've got one guy who's taking it the slow and smart way who just moved up to an Aerobird Xtreme (3-Channel 4 1/2 foot wingspan Firebird) after reaching the limits of his Firebird II.

And most parkflyers are not ready-to-fly, just as most fuel-powered aircraft aren't either. You still have to install your radio system, you still have to assemble it. But when you're just starting out and don't want to shell out so much money to get started, how is a simple RTF electric plane that costs around $100 a bad thing?

I for one don't want a ready-to-fly plane anymore, I've gotten past the Firebirds and I want to build some aspects of the plane. That's why I'm getting a Hangar 9 Solo Strike ARF instead of an Alpha Trainer RTF, and that's why I'm getting a 6-channel radio instead of a Quattro. But for someone who is totally new to this hobby, all this terminology and equipment seems like information overload. I think it's a good thing to offer RTF aircraft that someone can start out with, and making it electric makes it that much safer and easier. There's practically no maintenance required, it's clean and quiet, and it's far less powerful and dangerous than a fuel-powered engine (at least for the small parkflyers, I'm not talking about brushless powerhouses).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's another door for the beginner in this hobby to get started, and it's easier than ever now. And it's communities like this that help to get new, responsible people into this hobby, or some people who don't like change to scare them off.

LSP972 07-07-2005 01:55 PM

<<...people who don't like change to scare them off.>>

I assume that remark was aimed at me. If so, you missed the entire thrust of what I said and have me confused with the old reed guys who are still suspicious of ailerons.

bubbagates 07-07-2005 02:04 PM

Alright everyone,

This is starting to get off topic so as a reminder, the topic seems to be what does everyone think of this particular trainer.

So please let keep it on topic :D

MMcConville 07-11-2005 09:05 AM

Sorry for the delay in rspondfing, I've been away for a week. Here are the answers:

1. the landing gear. How tough is it. I am concerned about it being in the wings and the normal tendencies of the new pilot to be pretty hard on the landing gear at times. So I can see where a really rough landing can literally destroy the wing.

The landing gear mounts in the wing are very strong. The LG are raked forward quite a bit, which is done to get the desired ground handeling (which is amazing). A side benefit to the forward rake is the way the lg absorbs landing shock. They'll bend forward and up rather than transfer as much load to the wing. Weve never broben a lg mount loose. If it would happen, call into our Priduct Support dept and they'll take care of you.

2. low speed handling. I have flown other planes will all the stuff bolted to the wings and they can be slowed quite allot but I have to admit that they fly much better to me without everything hanging off of them. As far as new pilots are concerned, the extras will help but at times can introduce bad habits. So to help unlearn theser habits, I'll usually leave the things on until they are pretty proficient at takeoffs and landings plus basic aerobatics. So my next question is:

The low speed handeling is very good. The Speed brakes and flaps keep the sped down quite a bit. They do induce drag which makes the glide path steeper, which means a student will learn to make shorter landing approaches and perhaps evev carrysome throttle till near touch down. I think thats a plus IMHO, since the model stays closer in and is less exposed to and effected by wind.

The NACA droops are amazing. We used a pretty radical shape (thanks to the help of Dr. Michael Selig), which make a huge difference to the stall characteistric of the wing. It is impossiblr to tip stall or spin with the droops on. In fact you can actually pull full up elevator and hold it, then steer around and land the model while never releasing full up.

3. How does it handle with all the extras removed.

With all the xtras removed, including the droops, it acts like a pretty aerobatic sport model. If I'd compare it most closely to the Hangar 9 T-34 in flight performance once everything is removed.

bubbagates 07-11-2005 09:10 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the excellent response [sm=thumbup.gif]. I know they sounded like very basic questions but I did not see where they were previously asked and it's all good info to know instead of everyone guessing.

At least for me, now I have a better idea of what I can expect when a student shows up at the field with one.