RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3102050-new-hanger-9-p-51-mustang-%2A%2Atrainer-%2A%2A.html)

jfanning05 02-19-2006 12:56 AM

RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

I didn't know, I was looking at buying a heat gun today and really didn't know which one to get because I wasn't sure how much heat it could take. I thought somebody might have bougth some ultracote and it might say.

Railinrob 02-19-2006 02:24 AM

I picked up a pts mustang today.Does anyone know if the price changed ?I payed with a visa card and really wasnt paying attention to the price and after getting home (1 hr south) I realized They only charged me $220.75 for a pts mustang and 3 10x7 props for another airplane! That plane retails for $399.99 right? It needed a once over with the heat gun as the covering had wrinkles EVERYWHERE and looked bad but now its smooth as glass hopefuly maiden will be tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

rccrippen 02-19-2006 09:51 AM

Railinrob'

Keep your mouth SHUT and be HAPPY!.......Like you said, You've got a reciept don't you?
Even if it does rain tomorrow I think most of us would be smilen :D

RICK

Av8r Guy 02-19-2006 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Ok, for a 3 blade, I use an 11 x 7 Master Airscrew. I am also using a TruTurn aluminum 2 3/4" P-51 style spinner.
Here is pic:
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...75/Mk25179.jpg
Kahlog - I love the look! - did you have to do any mods to make the spinner and prop fit? I assume you had to change the spinner backplate ?

Have you noticed any difference from the new prop ?

Kevin

Av8r Guy 02-19-2006 10:33 AM

Hey Roltech;

Yah it was pretty nasty here at the beggining of last week (-31C / -48C with the wind) - your probably getting what we had.

On the positive side, lots of nice summer days are headed our way soon. Looking forward to getting started flying in R/C.

Anyway, a friendly hello from Saskatchewan !

Railinrob 02-19-2006 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rccrippen

Railinrob'

Keep your mouth SHUT and be HAPPY!.......Like you said, You've got a reciept don't you?

RICK

Oh believe me there's a smile on my face ,I'm definatly not going back to tell them and to boot its sunny here and about 50 degrees plus I've got 200 still left in the ol' rc budget for some more goodies I'm off to the field!:D

kahloq 02-19-2006 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Av8r Guy

Ok, for a 3 blade, I use an 11 x 7 Master Airscrew. I am also using a TruTurn aluminum 2 3/4" P-51 style spinner.
Here is pic:
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...75/Mk25179.jpg
Kahlog - I love the look! - did you have to do any mods to make the spinner and prop fit? I assume you had to change the spinner backplate ?

Have you noticed any difference from the new prop ?

Kevin

No mods. When you order a Truturn spinner, you tell them the desired prop you want to use. They cut it to that prop. The only things removed from stock was the red spinner assembly: Unbolt the red spinner, pull of the prop nut, take the 10 x 4 stocker off, pull the red plastic spinner backplate off.

Obtain TruTrun spinner. Also, don't forget the prop adapter. Threre is a big blue link on every spinner product page to go determine the correct prop adapter for your engine...for stock engine...choose the evolution hanger - 9 .40NT, .46NT, .46Trainer selection from their website.(www.truturn.com).
Put the Tru Turn aluminum backplate on(there is a little metal circular adapter you put on this backplate so it matches the diameter of the prop shaft...this piece is included with the spinner). Slide the new prop on. Install the prop adapter black washer onto the bottom of the prop adapter, then place the prop adapter on the prop shaft and tighten down. Slide the spinner on and align with the prop blades to make sure there is even spacing on both sides of the blades. Install the spinner nut and tighten down with allen wrench. Don't overtighten, but tighten good enough...tighten until you can't turn the wrench with only3 fingers.
I have had only one flight on the plane with this blade on it since it has been rather windy here on my off days and we also just got a really bad arctic cold blast. I might be able to get out again this week to fly.
Also, order the spinner directly from TruTurn on their website if you can. Some hobby shops will upcharge you to order it in(special order).

roltech 02-19-2006 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rccrippen

Railinrob'

RICK

There you go! :D

jfanning05 02-19-2006 06:39 PM

I finally got to maiden my plane today. It took a while to get the engine right, but we finally got it up and got 1 flight in. It was in the low thirties but it was worth it. It flew great and my trainer said he was very suprised at how well it flew. So maybe this next weekend I'll get to fly it if the weather is good.

bassmanh 02-19-2006 09:31 PM

hmmmmm,

what happened to being honest ??? just think if they had OVERCHARGED YOU AND YOU DIDN NOTICE TILL YOU GOT HOME you would be back there in a heart beat to ask for YOUR money back .

to bad things are the way they are :(

[:'(][&o][:'(][&o]

propchief 02-19-2006 10:13 PM

I had the opportunity to fly one of these last week. One of our newest club members got it for a present to learn to fly R/C with it. It flies like I'd expect a Mustang to fly. However, I'm not in favor of it as a primary trainer. First, it needs airspeed to stay in the air. This means less reaction time to recover from mistakes for the student ... and instructor. And, it covers a lot of ground in a short time. Also, it's not inherently stable like most trainers. Sure it stays where you point it, but you have to know where to point it, and most beginners can use some room for error. All-in-all it flies well and has appeal. Just not as a primary trainer. Of course it's just my opinion!

kahloq 02-19-2006 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bassmanh

hmmmmm,

what happened to being honest ??? just think if they had OVERCHARGED YOU AND YOU DIDN NOTICE TILL YOU GOT HOME you would be back there in a heart beat to ask for YOUR money back .

to bad things are the way they are :(

[:'(][&o][:'(][&o]
I doubt that you'd go back to the store after realizing once you got home, that you were undercharged. Possibly, you might passingly mention it the next time you were at the store using the guise that you wanted to make sure they corrected any error.
It also isn't very nice to purposefully point out a perceived negative about another person. I guarentee that everyone has faults and everyone has had moments that may not have been Saint-like. Unless your an angel, please refrain from correcting someone else's behavior.

Railinrob 02-20-2006 01:55 AM

I understand where you are coming from but I honestly wasn't paying attention when I left and my last experience with the counter help really sucked.What if you drove 1 hr 30 min north to the closest hobby shop and get told I'm STUPID for not knowing what spinner size my evo 61 motor needs , then refuse to pull the one in the display case and see what size it was.This was just after I spent 400 bucks on a new radio and another plane not even 5 minutes before and came right back into the store.I had to wait 2 weeks til I drove back up there with my motor and what does the same jerk do when i show him the motor? He pulls the display out and looks at the damn manual which I informed him before I didnt have before.All he had to do was do it in the first place!I would have saved a tank of gas and it was my weekend fly day.I realize some might not understand or agree my reasoning but I was still pissed about the jerk behind the counter I felt vindicated in my shallow mind.

ps. it was people like him that kept me away from this fantastic hobby for so long if their service had been above average they would have gotten a call from me as I've spent LOTS of money there over the years

rccrippen 02-20-2006 05:46 AM

Honesty went out the door with customer service! Did'nt it Rob!?
I have had two wives in my life(the 2nd one's great!) and both have worked in retail.
Still do. The one thing they both have in common, and I know these businesses are in it
to make a profit. Is the Mark Up! They both can tell you it's ridiculous! I would be willing
to bet Railinrobs hobby Shop still made some profit off of him, between Retail, Insurance Co,s
and the IRS! I have nothing at all against honesty, But when we're all paying almost $3.00
a gallon for gas a few month's back, and over $2.00 now without ANY excuse for it!
I SAY MORE POWER TO US ALL! and in this case Mr. Railinrob! We all get up and work hard
for a living, He was just able to get the Big End of the "stick" this time ;) I would love to see
why it cost $18.00 to make a gallon of glow fuel, Someone somewhere"s liken it [8D]

RICK

PS This Hobbies Great is'nt it!
To bad things are the way they are:(

rccrippen 02-20-2006 05:56 AM

Propchief,
Your opinion's pretty common, Glad you liked it.

RICK

CVN-71 02-20-2006 08:25 AM

Can someone tell me why you cant buddy box with the flap servo installed?? Thanks

lanny2003 02-20-2006 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: rsCVN-71

Can someone tell me why you cant buddy box with the flap servo installed?? Thanks
You can buddy box. Just have to use the right buddy box or the flaps will be allways up (or down I dont remember) in the trainer position.

earthbound misfit 02-20-2006 10:35 AM

I didn't know, I was looking at buying a heat gun today and really didn't know which one to get because I wasn't sure how much heat it could take. I thought somebody might have bougth some ultracote and it might say.
The heat guns in the home centers can get very hot - 1200+ degrees. This is WAY too much heat. You can use them but keep the gun moving so you don't melt the covering. I picked up a gun at a craft store that works great (and was half the price of the home center heat guns). It is actually a Marvy Uchida embossing heat tool. It max's out at 680 degrees. This is still too much heat but it does a great job smoothing out wrinkles. Keep it moving so you don't melt anything. You can see when the coating starts to shrink into place.

Mike

Av8r Guy 02-20-2006 06:22 PM

Here is pic:

Kahloq;

I went and checked out the Tru Turn spinners on the site - price is up there but not to bad, I might have to go for the anodized red !

When I look at the shapes on Tru Turns page the P51 spinner looks allot blunter in the nose then the one on your pic - not to doubt you, but you're sure yours is the P51 style ? - I want one just like yours as I don't care for the really rounded blunt spinners. (maybe the picture on the site is wrong ??)

I'll wait to hear from you before I order

Kevin

coolhand3537 02-20-2006 07:49 PM

Hey fella's. I'm new to posting but not to reading this one! I've read this thing justabout the whole way through, tons of great information and I appreciate all of your information on this awesome airplane. I do have one question though and it may be more of a Evo engine question than PTS question, anyway... When I run my plane I get tons of fuel spattering down the side & on my right wing. I spoke to a guy at my local field who'd only been flying for 3 years and he couldn't tell me anything. After attempting to adjust her it still flows out the exhaust. It runs great and flies awesome, no lack of power, it just seems to be sucking fuel right through the tube that connects to the muffler. I picked it up today off my fouton after charging & went to go load it in the truck, when I did quite a bit of fuel just ran out the exhaust! I made sure when I shut off the plane & radio that the throttle is closed, I just don't know!! Can anybody explain this to a very novice pilot? Thanks guys & keep up the posting!

stallwart 02-20-2006 08:36 PM

Just get an exhaust deflector, rotate the muffle exhaust down and attach the deflector. That will keep a some of the fuel off the plane. DuBro sells one for under $3.00.
The fuel running out is from running the engine rich. That's what you want! After flying and defueling, you could start the engine to burn off remaining fuel in the fuel line, carb and engine, let it cool and run the electric starter for a few seconds to get rid of the rest. Finally, wad a piece of paper towel to plug the exhaust.

WiredMike 02-20-2006 08:54 PM

Finally got mine!!!!
After I opened the box I realized just exactly how afraid I was to even begin working on some of the mods listed. It all seemed so straightforward from the reading I have been doing. But man I was nervous as hell for about 20 minutes!!
Started off with what I thought would be the easiest of the "fixes" fuelproofing the firewall.

Well to begin with I couldnt find my metric allen wrenches so I had to run to walmart to get those and some acid brushes. (Note: Dont ever ask for acid brushes at walmart, they look at you funny).
Got home and proceeding tearing into it. Took me forever to figure out how to get the cowl off. I was 10 seconds away from splitting it when it just sorta happened....Now I can take it on and off with ease. (probably due to the nervous syndrom fading.)
Well got the firewall fuelproofed. Loctited the motor mount screws and while I was waitng for the epoxy to dry I went ahead and tore the muffler apart and loctited the muffler body screws.
After the epoxy dried I put her back together and finished it off by loctiting the screws that hold the muffler to the engine. So far so good.

One thing I did notice is that the engine was not seated squarely on the engine mount? I wish I had taken pictures of that part. So when putting the engine back on the mount I squared it up with the mount and made sure it was evenly on the knurled surface of the mount. Hope doing this was ok.

Took a couple pictures just to show that I got it apart and back together again in one piece. I think now I will go ahead and assemble the wings just to get a good look at her.
P.S. Rick, I wont be able to get the wrinkles out untill this weekend when I get an iron. That is high on my list tho!!

http://wiredmike.com/forum/attachmen...mentid=6&stc=1
http://wiredmike.com/forum/attachmen...mentid=5&stc=1

rccrippen 02-20-2006 10:15 PM

Wiredmike;
The engine does sit back some. You probably have it too far forward and your spinner
will stick out a little to far, you can fix that. Be sure to "fuelproof" the wood on the bottom
of the"Radiator scoop" and the wood all around the wing bolts, and above it. I even did it to
the tray my servos sit on! That whole area back there especially around and behind that
"scoop"WILL get soaked with oil when in flight. Someone on this sight might already have
there cowl off and can measure the distance from the Firewall to the end of the Flywheel
for you. I set my OS 50SX at that same distance and it fit perfect. I'm afraid Loc Titing the
screw and nut on the muffler is not going to be enough! Ask Roltech and some others, We ended
up removing the muffler baffle and cleaning the the joints where it fits together REAL good
you should probably remove the whole muffler for this, and use Acetone. Remount your
muffler and make sure it points where you want it, most likely down, and use some JB WELD
on the two surfaces where it meets, be kinda liberal with it. Remember preperation is
everything for a good bond! Put the screw and nut back real tight while you can still work
with it.Do not use the JB WELD "KWIK" it sets too fast! Lok Tite alone just wont keep that
two piece muffler in place! Then get a exhaust deflecter like Stallwart recommended!
Leave that baffle out ,you don't really need it and it's just a Tad louder without it, and there's
gonna be times when your gonna want to hear YOUR motor, Like when there's 2 or 3 or more
planes in the air.

Hope some of this helps, You'll get to the wrinkles soon enough, take your time and enjoy!
RICK

PS If there's exposed wood and I can reach it, It gets some sort of fuelproofing!

jfanning05 02-20-2006 10:37 PM

Wiredmike:
The engine definately needs to go back some, the spinner weight for mine was right inside the the opening in the cowl. I think it sits just about flush with the outside.

roltech 02-20-2006 10:47 PM

I had to mount the motor right back as far as it will go on the mount and it was right on, worked for me.

roltech