RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3120187-kmp-ebay-yak-54-build-fly.html)

bpryor 06-28-2005 11:53 PM

KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly

After posting some comments in the thread "KMP Rejects", I thought it appropriate to start a more positive thread for people that are building these planes and would like to share their experience with them.

Here's the gist of what I think of mine so far, copied and edited from the other thread.

I did not expect the YAK to be the quality of a very top ARF, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is much
better than I expected. It does have one tiny flaw in the paint on the cowl, and a ripple in the canopy, but I didn't buy this to take to the Scale Masters, I bought it to fly, so these "flaws" are not a problem for me. As with all ARF's, even the best, I always go over every exposed glue joint, and examine it closely for any place I think might be a weak spot and I re-enforce it. In general it seems to be a well-built and designed plane, and if it's a copy of Chris Hinson's design, then I'm sure I'll have a great flying plane.

The hardware package is definitely light(minimal), but I didn't expect anything more. I never use the manufacturer's hardware anyway(though I might if I had an EF), and I have plenty of Rocket City and Nelson pieces laying around for this plane.

I'm also a fan of tuned pipes/cans, and although it will take a bit of modification, there is definitely room to squeeze in a K&S can(which I just happen to have a couple of 60cc ones).

As expressed by someone else in the other thread, I also have some concern over the size of the wing tube, but this will take more research to determine if there's a potential problem. There also was concern expressed about the strength of the cowl, which if the person that posted that info would like to add his concerns in this thread, that would be great.

bpryor 06-29-2005 01:06 AM

RE: KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly

1 Attachment(s)
Since this thread I started has been moved here to the Giant Scale forum, and the other KMP thread really has no positive direction, I will be posting my progress on my KMP YAK in this thread and not the "KMP rejects" thread, and I invite everyone that has, or might want to purchase, the KMP YAK to post their questions and experiences with this plane here. It's probably pointless to ask this, but will everyone please try to stay positive and on subject?

Here's a bit of new info. I posted in the other thread the measurements of the wing tube and socket and the possibility that a 1" "straight" tube might fit in the stock wing tube in the KMP. I do not know how much the sockets vary between planes, so you will have to measure your own, but after talking with Gene at troybuiltmodels.com it does seem like there's a good chance that his 1" CF tube will fit (tightly) into the socket in the KMP. On mine there will only be about 2 thou clearance, which is fine if the tubes are straight. I mentioned that I have a old 1" aluminum tube that is quite a bit out of round varying by up to 3 thou over 1" and that tube almost fits in to the tubes as-is. That is with little force I can get it in 3-4" into the socket in fuse and wings. I will be ordering one of the troybuilt 1" tubes shortly and when I get it I'll report how it works on mine. If it works it will be a win, win, win, since it will eliminate the too loose fit of the stock tube, take away any concerns of the stock tubes strength, and of course will save a few ounces.

Also, I will be putting a KS can in mine.....though I don't know for sure what engine I'm using yet. I have some canister tunnel that I purchased from Germany a couple of years ago when I put a can in a 33% H9 Cap with a ZDZ-80(don't ask me what happened to it...please). It's thin balsa sandwiched in fiberglass. It's actually very light. I've posted some pictures of that installation. The one in the YAK should be similar except it will be a rear exhaust instead of a front exit. The rear tunnel exit in the Cap was only for cooling air to pass through.

drumbum 07-11-2005 09:22 PM

well i will be up here when mine arrives. thanks for pointing me this way on the other thread..

im going with a BME 50
hs 5645s with 5945 on rudder
LiPo with regulator 6v setup
LiPo with regulator 5.4 ignition
dubro HD horns and pullpull
Central hobbies CF pushrods
and various other things i have laying around

bpryor 07-11-2005 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if he is the original author, but here is the elevator fix as posted by FreedomFlier on 2/13/05:

ORIGINAL: FreedomFlier

Mark where you want to cut, peal back, and shape/glue a piece or 1/16" ply.. Cover with scrap piece of white ultracoat,, reiron covering back..

Bosshossv8 07-12-2005 07:23 AM

I cut my elevators to one smooth line. Not the compound cut above. I don't have the measurements, But I copied the EF Yak elevator cut exactly. I used my scroll saw with the table adjusted to the correct angle to make the cut square to end stock. I used the old end stock and shaved it down and CA'd it in place. I wanted full deflection on the rudder without the P-P cables interfering.

I used a Quadra 52 w/cup mount. It has the exact same bolt pattern as a G62 w/cup mount.

Colombo posted he had to cut 40mm off the box and reconstruct. I did the same. Keeping the right thrust I shortened it 40mm. I used the same construction method as factory. 1 thick firewall inside the walls, and a piece laminated over the end and aluminun angles. The cut off end of the box made a nice jig for making the pieces.

I beefed the cowl mount tabs. The cowl held up well ,..even in the crash.

THe wing tube is 25mm. You can get one from PBG supplier in Austraila custom made 25mm by 920mm for about 75 bucks. I was lucky enough to get a spare from Andrew at KMP , albeit aluminum.

a 1 inch tube just wont fit.

I painted Gorilla glue on everything, and I am glad the canopy hides the inside, the rough cut wood is a little ugly. But, all in all, this is a well made plane.

I used Dave Patrick Tail wheel, Dubro and Hangar nine hardware.

I think if there are any of these still around they will get snapped up, giving that every other Manufacturer is having delivery problems with their Yaks.

bpryor 07-12-2005 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bosshossv8,

Thanks for all the great info.

Here's a little more of what Bosshossv8 wrote in an earlier post about the elevators, and the pictures from him of before and his cut after.

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

...I cut the (elevators) 9/16 back and angled it to the end of the original cut.

Bill

Slyder 07-12-2005 02:40 PM

:D

drumbum 07-12-2005 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bpryor

Hi Bosshossv8,

Thanks for all the great info.

Here's a little more of what Bosshossv8 wrote in an earlier post about the elevators, and the pictures from him of before and his cut after.

...I cut the (elevators) 9/16 back and angled it to the end of the original cut.

Bill
thats what i was looking for

DENNIS C 07-15-2005 06:17 PM

Thinking about getting one of the yak's bill you got any pic's to post.

O yea i see your back........now for how long ;)

bpryor 07-15-2005 06:42 PM

Hi Dennis,

How's it going?

Thinking about getting one of the yak's bill you got any pic's to post.
I've only pulled it out of the box, looked it over, and put it back in. I'll be getting started for good very soon and will be posting progress pics. If there's anything in particular you'd like a picture of, let me know and I'll take one and send it to you(or post). FYI, there are only three listed on eBay right now, so I don't know if the guy that has these is running out or not. You might write him and ask if he has more. His e-mail is: [email protected]

O yea i see your back........now for how long
Good question. Hopefully for awhile. [:o]

Bill

DENNIS C 07-15-2005 06:47 PM

Bill i'd like to know how it really looks in the quality department. like is there a twist in the fuse...yea know shuff like that. what is the deal on the wing tube is it way to small. I plan on recovering mine anyway's so i can see what is actually there and not.

IM bidding on them right now on e-bay ;) ;).

But im not a patient person ;)

I want one now.

Thanks for the e-mail address im going to see if he has anymore.

bpryor 07-15-2005 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: DENNIS C

Bill i'd like to know how it really looks in the quality department. like is there a twist in the fuse...yea know shuff like that.

Mine does not have any warps in the wings or fuse. It does have gaps in front and back of the wings in the mounting recess, as other people have reported, but that does not matter to me as it does not affect alignment or structual integrity, and I'm not that picky on looks.

I plan on recovering mine anyway's so i can see what is actually there and not.
You'll have an easy time checking all the glue joints, which is probably all that needs to be done. I'm not thrilled with the color scheme, though some really like it, but I'm also too lazy to recover it. I do plan on adding some graphics to make it a bit more unique.

what is the deal on the wing tube is it way to small. I plan on recovering mine anyway's so i can see what is actually there and not.
Since the CF is probably going to fit, it doesn't matter to me. But if you're not replacing the tube, I'd do some adjustments to tighten the slop up before flying.

IM bidding on them right now on e-bay
Good luck.

drumbum 07-15-2005 10:15 PM

well TOTO mine is in kansas now.. it is almost here. just a few more states

DENNIS C 07-15-2005 10:34 PM

Where are they coming from ....the state's??

drumbum 07-16-2005 08:15 AM

washington

idealer 07-17-2005 12:12 PM

I didn't get instructions with mine, anyone have any or measurements for a da50?

Bosshossv8 07-17-2005 09:18 PM

I have a pdf of the manual....let me look for it....I will email it to you,...

I cut 40mm off the box for my Quadra 52 // G-62 style installation...and now I went to line up my Da on it,,,,,and it needs a half inch plate on the front of the box to make it right, with the stock 2.5 inch standoffs. It also needs a relief hole in the firewall to breath...so -40mm , then add 1/2 inch(12.52 mm) ...assuming you use 2.5 inch standoff.s...

I am going to be doing this in the next week....I will post more info as i do it.

I am going to break in the DA on this one and eventually transfer her over to the EF 87" Yak-54 , but who knows, It may stay there for quite a while.

arrio 07-17-2005 09:29 PM

Bosshossv8: Would mind sending a copy of the instructions my way also? Sure would appreciat it. I have a KMP YAK54 on the way too.
Thanks,

Alfred, [email protected]

DENNIS C 07-17-2005 10:03 PM

Does anybody have a flight report on this plane...I sure would like to know how it holds up before i buy one.

Bosshossv8 07-17-2005 10:19 PM

I flew mine 3 times before the aileron horns pull out from flutter. .. they were installed incorrectly in to soft balsa and not the hardpoints by the previous owner...[:@][:@] I did not check it closely enough, finished the model , and crashed on the 3rd flight.

The wing came out when the plastic bolt snapped, rotated , spun the model to the ground and flexing the wingtube before impact flat.

The model was rebuilt and is getting ready to fly again......

If flew absolutly awesome, need no trim from neutral....none. landed like a trainer.

I was in a hot downline pullout and exited fine , then 5 seconds later..flutter...from incorrectly installed aileron horns....lessons learned about used planes. Double check everything. The hard points were a half inch away from where the horn were installed by a novice builder.

But, she will fly again...all ineeded was a wingtube and got it....and a little wood and glue. She is straight and fly soon.

drumbum 07-17-2005 10:23 PM

I have a pdf of the manual....let me look for it....I will email it to you,...

I cut 40mm off the box for my Quadra 52 // G-62 style installation...and now I went to line up my Da on it,,,,,and it needs a half inch plate on the front of the box to make it right, with the stock 2.5 inch standoffs. It also needs a relief hole in the firewall to breath...so -40mm , then add 1/2 inch(12.52 mm) ...assuming you use 2.5 inch standoff.s...

I am going to be doing this in the next week....I will post more info as i do it.

I am going to break in the DA on this one and eventually transfer her over to the EF 87" Yak-54 , but who knows, It may stay there for quite a while.
if you find them PM me ill give you my E-mail too..
part of mine will be here tomorrow bu i think the smaller box is lost in transit. fedex it researching it.. it departed in oregon on the 13th and never arrived anywhere. but the larger box on the tracking shows on truck for delivery tomorrow

p39 07-18-2005 09:02 AM

I've been flying mine this summer. I bought mine from KMP when they were available. My BME 50 is a good match for the plane. The aluminum gear is a bit soft and after a little hard landing or two I'm looking to replace it or add some B&B supports. Make sure you put your gear facing forward or it will be light on its toes on the ground and want to nose over on taxiing. I used Dubro heavy duty horns- the single bolt through style for my control surfaces. I've got smoke in her and she really looks great in the air.

drumbum 07-18-2005 11:18 AM

Well fed ex lost my wings.. always my luck. I filed a claim with them. and when the fax came I found out exactly who is selling them.. I will not say on this thread because the distributer might pull them from E-bay and people will loose the deals they were getting... Now that i know who they are i can call them(if can ever get in tough with them and get another set/or another plane depending on what fed-ex pays.

DENNIS C 07-18-2005 10:19 PM

Well i bit the bullet and sold my wildhare 540 and ordered the yak. Im going to recover it as soon as i get it and post some pictures and really see what its all about.

drumbum 07-18-2005 11:02 PM

yea im thinking of recovering mine too.. i was looking at what i have. i think i might be able to get the graphics off and down to a white shell. and do my own scheme.. but that is the beauty of gas motors. i might see how it flies then do it. since there wont be any castor on it.. I am doing something on the bottom though