RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   jamara pilatus turbo porter arf? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/323546-jamara-pilatus-turbo-porter-arf.html)

iwannafly 10-20-2002 06:22 PM

jamara pilatus turbo porter arf?

I just received the pilatus turbo porter from Jamara of Germany. A 95 inch wingspan. I am thinking of installing a zdz 50 gas engine for good power. I am looking for any information from someone that is actually building or flying this bird. Any input on mods or suggestions would be appreciated. Flight characteristics? Engines installed? Servo locations? Servos used? Quality? Whatever! I find info on its cousin the regular Porter but so far no luck on the long nose turbo model. Anybody out there??? Thanks.

mstroh3961 10-21-2002 01:00 AM

turbo porter

Iwannnafly, Is there a web sight for this kit? or is it an ARF?

Any info will be appreciated!

Regards
Mark

P-51B 10-21-2002 02:22 PM

It's an arf, go to http://www.jamara.com/

Birddog-RCU 10-27-2002 12:47 AM

Porter and zdz 50

I'm curious how your Porter is coming along with that zdz 50. I was also looking at the Jamara but with that long narrow nose, it would be very difficult to mount a gasser of any size without altering the sleek nose.

Were you able to do it and do you have any pics yet?

Thanks,

iwannafly 10-27-2002 04:28 PM

I haven't actually started on this plane yet. Not having any luck getting a zdz 50. I'll probably have to settle for the 40 since the 50 is not available for a few months. The plane is good quality with the exception of the small stuff you will want to trash. I had to glass the inside of the plastic cowl and will make it two piece to accomodate the gasser. Probably the easiest engines would be the 150-180 four strokes but due to the length of the cowl it would have to be two piece to avoid losing most of to cut out. This thing will be interesting to set up and fly with the operational flaps and four servos in the wing.

Carlos Murphy 10-28-2002 06:36 AM

Too much dihedral...

The Jamara Porter has waaay too much dihedral.
It should have almost none. And it's UGLY with all that dihedral too!

iwannafly 11-05-2002 04:19 AM

Eyes of the beholder.........Different strokes........You referring to the turbo porter?? Got one from Jamara but haven't test fit the wings yet to see the angle but shouldn't be a big thing to adjust. You speaking from personal experience. Apparently not many of these are around. Been too busy with engine install to worry about the wings yet. Like to hear from anyone actually flying this plane and their personal experience.

Carlos Murphy 11-05-2002 07:13 AM

iwannafly

I had one Alteh Turbo Porter and built it with no dihedral as per the plans. I just bought one built and it has about 3 degrees of dihedral. I'm almost finished with my R/C Plane Power (non turbo) Porter and IT has no dihedral.
I also have a 140" all glass and honeycomb Turbo Porter from Germany (not started yet) and It has no dihedral.

I've noticed pictures of a couple different Jamara Porters and each model had different amounts of dihedral.

Tailman 11-05-2002 05:34 PM

Just had to.

1 Attachment(s)
This is OT for this thread. But I was so impressed with the job Carlos Murphy did on his Pilatus that I had to share it with you all. WELL DONE! Basically out of stock on these and it will be months before I get more. I want to thank every customer for the success of this plane!!!!!!

Tailman 11-05-2002 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

Tailman 11-05-2002 05:35 PM

LAST one

1 Attachment(s)
another, Thanx for everything Carlos..great job.

Birddog-RCU 11-29-2002 03:52 AM

Pilatus landing gear install

Ok guys, I'm a little slow so I way behind the rest of you. I need some info on the location of the landing gear. How were you able to tell where the gear are to go? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

DOH... never mind. I rolled the plane over and found the slots. How is yours flying Carlos? I'm still putting the G-38 on mine.

pequeajim 11-29-2002 03:59 AM

Carlos:

Where did you get the 140" Porter from?

Who makes it? Do they have a web site?

Jim!

Birddog-RCU 11-29-2002 04:14 AM

140" Porter

I was just about to email Carlos and ask the same question. Where did you get it Carlos? Please send me the contact info also!

Thanks,

Carlos Murphy 11-30-2002 02:16 AM

@#^&()+_)(*%@%*&)++)(*&%$%&*!!!

Somsbody once said (I don't know why) " If you fly em, you'll crash em". Maybe Anthony will post the pics I sent him.
Was to put the first flights on the Porter last Wednesday and managed to get about 5 seconds out of the first and only flight.
I think the plane was just a bit tail heavy and why it veered to the right I'll never know but it turned right, I caught it and it turned hard left, caught it again and it turned right, caught it and it went left again. This is when I pulled the power off but it continued to turn left and roll to 90 degrees, cought the left wing tip and cart wheeled 1 1/2 times and came to rest on it's wheels.
I was sooooo peed off that I just paced around a bit and then sat for a while. My friends went out to the side of the runway to pick up the wreckage because I wasn't the least bit interested at that point.
I stripped the the carcass that night after talking some pictures and thats it.

As for the 140" Turbo Porter, I found it on the old RCO about 2 years ago and swaped a JPX T-260 turbine, scuba tank, fire extinguisher and a little cash for it from a guy who turned out to live about 1 1/2 hours from me. He didn't buy it from the manufactured ether.
What info I could turn up said the plane was built by Brawer or Brauer in Germany but nothing conclusive.
I plan to use a Moki 360 inline twin in it.
Carlos

ChinookPilot 11-30-2002 04:49 AM

OOOPS!!

Carlos,
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune with the Porter. You stated that it seemed tail heavy. Exactly where was the balance point on your model? I want to make sure this does not happen to someone else. Were the instructions wrong as to where to establish the CG?
Thanks for your help and again, sorry about your loss.

Sam

Carlos Murphy 11-30-2002 08:02 AM

Sam,

There was no CG recomendations in the instructions.
I found out from Anthony today that the CG is right on the wing tube, I had to have been close. My wing tube looks like an "L".
Oh well, balanced the Gold Edition T-Bolt tonight with pumped Webra 120 and Spring Air's, will fly it Sunday for the first time ( fingers crossed).
Carlos

ChinookPilot 12-01-2002 06:26 AM

Carlos,

Man--what a bummer! I didn't realize that there is no published CG spec in the instructions for the Porter. I have not started mine yet so this whole thing has got me spooked. Am planning to mount a G-38 up front. Anyway, a thought just popped into my mind--are you sure you had the ailerons hooked up correctly. Now before you get offended, a have seen it done and I have myself hooked these up backwards and didn't realize it, in my case, til just before I was about to take off. Two or three people including me must have looked at that thing 4 or 5 times prior to that and no one caught it til it was almost too late. Your problem was either that or you were very tail heavy (way too far aft CG). Seems to me that with the CG extremely rearward that pitch is the thing that is most affected--straight up first and then after the pilot's logical down correction--straight down. All this happens very fast especially when you are not expecting the problem in the first place. I guess roll would be affected also, but it seems that this is not the first thing to happen.

Well, just thought I would share my thoughts. I just want to know what went wrong so that something like this is not likely to happen again to any of us--at least for any of the above reasons.

Good luck on your test flight today!

Sam

Birddog-RCU 12-01-2002 06:37 AM

Mounting G-38

Sam,

The G-38 goes on easily. I'm using a B&B muffler and had to use 1" standoffs to bring it out to clear the muffler but it worked out well. I can send you pic if you are interested. I'll most likely have mine flying in two weeks if I can get to the LHS for some paint. They won't ship Lustrekote to California for some dumb tree hugger reason or another.

ChinookPilot 12-01-2002 06:47 AM

Thanks Alan,

I would really appreciate any pics and info you can share. Good luck on your upcoming flight. Hope Carlos can shed more light on what happened to his.

Sam

Tailman 12-01-2002 06:19 PM

CARLOS MAY IT "RIP"

1 Attachment(s)
A while back I posted about Carlos's Porter. How impressed I was with the job he did! well I am here to say that I am just as impressed with the planes destruction as with its construction!
I am truly sorry Carlos..you know how much I was looking forward to you flying her!

Tailman 12-01-2002 06:20 PM

ANOTHER SHOT

1 Attachment(s)
CARLOS

Tailman 12-01-2002 06:20 PM

Another photo

1 Attachment(s)
MURPHY OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Birddog-RCU 12-03-2002 05:44 AM

What if...

1 Attachment(s)
Hey... wouldn't it be cool to put together a Porter and paint it like this?

Loopman 12-04-2002 03:33 AM

Jamara Porter

The original post asked if anyone had any experience with the Jamara Porter. I received mine from Germany about a week ago. It is a very well done kit with the exception of the linkages for the ailerons and flaps, "all plastic!" The wood construction is very good and the covering, looks like oracover, is put on well. I upgraded the linkages to "DuBro" hardware and will change out the cheaper pushrods for Sullivan precision rods. The landing gear looks sturdy enough and the kit supplied wheels are first class. I also received a "Miss Europa" 1/5th scale pilot, which is also first class. Overall the kit is impressive and should go together fairly quick. I will be powering it with a ST2300 as the nose is too narrow for a gasser, at least one I can afford! You do need narrow arms and nimble fingers to work on installing the fuel tank, it's a looooong way to the back of the firewall.

Happy Flying!

LOOPMAN :cool: