RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   GP Cosmic Wind Minnow (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3241586-gp-cosmic-wind-minnow.html)

MormonMike 08-08-2005 07:41 AM

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

One showed-up at my doorstep last night, Very nice indeed. Same quality like the Little Toni. Will doubtless fly every bit as good as the Shoestring. Maybe a little faster with the thinner wing too. Might try to have it done for this weekend, we'll see.

thisoneused 08-08-2005 03:18 PM

RE: GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Well,,,I'm glad your plane came ok!
Mine came with two left hand wing panels. Damn my luck anyhow!
You're right though, it does look to be a nice ARF. I especially like the fact that they used glass in the former to fiber fuse areas! My Toni formers were just glued in place and they have come loose.
I expect it to be a bit faster than the Toni, and the Toni was already much faster than a club members Shoestring with comparible engine. I just hope it flies as stable as the Toni does...This one doesnt seem to have the dihedral like the Toni does and I think the wing is a bit thinner. This might take some of the natural self recovery away, but I expect you probably shouldn't be flying such a model unless otherwise experienced with faster low wing designs that use less dihedral.
What engine have you decided on? I just might go all out and purchase a Webra 1.20 W/pump for mine. I'm getting a deal on this one.....thats one of the contributing factors of engine selection in my aircraft,...The deal!
I test fit the engine in the cowl at the local hobby store, and it didnt take up any more room than the four stroke would have. It also weighs a little less too!
I do run a Saito .91 in my Ultimate Bipe, but I think I will be dissapointed with the same engine in the Minow. I think the larger two stroke is the way to go for impressive speed. I could be all wet, but I think thats what I'm going to go with.

MormonMike 08-09-2005 07:39 AM

Greetings, I've installed a ST. 90 with Pitts style muffler. Almost identicle to the Toni. This is a much more sleek airframe. Mid-wing, much less dihedral, longer tail moment too. It will handle like the Shoestring. There's no way to re-inforce the firewall with fiberglass and resin , you just can't get in there to apply it, very tight. Two left wing panels, those idiots ! . Some of the hinge slots are "off" a little bit. The one for the tail wheel wire needs to be slotted down just a scoche. Other than that, it's quite a beauty. I thought that this thread would of had a few more replys but I'm not really surprised, most of what I have to share or discuss on my findings are usually ignored. Oh well, thanks for your time. Seeya, MM

mazer 08-09-2005 12:44 PM

I'm watching!!! Can't wait to get your impressions when you fly it! Do you think the tail wheel will need replacing? How about the landing gear for those of us that land a little rough from time to time! :)

Cheers!
Pete

MormonMike 08-09-2005 01:12 PM

Pete, the landing gear mount seems to be ok, probably would'nt hurt to apply a little fiberglass resin and medium 3/4 ounce cloth around that area. The tail wheel is fine, same one I'm using on the "Toni". I've had no problems with it. Tell ya what though, I did put a piece of soft foam in between the landing gear and the mount to kinda cushion it. Other than that, the plane is a beauty to put together. I'm sure this one will pull ahead of the Shoestring and Toni. I'll keep you posted. MM

MormonMike 08-10-2005 07:20 AM

Pete, cowling is now installed. Warning !.. dimples on cowl to help align cowl mounting screw/hidden nut to wood plate inside of fuse do not line up at all. Suggest you drill hole approxamatly 3/8 inch further toward front of cowl so as to better line-up with wood mounting plate that is glued on the inside of fuselage. Did a perfect job hawging out cowl to accept ST.90 w/ Pitts style muffler. Using a Dubro Refueler, mount it [if that's what you decide to use] on the left, middle, top of cowl. May even work better right on top center of cowl. It's by no means unsightly there. The way the engine is cowled, your going to need some type of remote fueling device. Will do wing tonight. Also, the only simalarity from this plane to the Little Toni is the canopy. It's quite different from there on. Seeya, MM

SkyChaser 08-11-2005 12:09 PM

This plane looked like a good home for my Saito 100. Any thoughts?

SkyChaser

MormonMike 08-11-2005 01:19 PM

Na, let's put a DA 50 in it............... Oh wait a minute, this is a 60 size, oops, I'm thinkin of a different plane. Sure, a Saito .100 will work. It might be best to go inverted with it. Even with a two stroke with Pitts muffler, quite a bit of the cowl on the bottom front is hawged out but it still is not bad and actually, looks good. I chose a two stroker for RPM speed. You will certainly need a much bigger tank though for that .100 and of course the appropriate prop too. Back to the engine choice again, I dont know if you will like the head sticking out the bottom as it will, I dont think you can fit it in the cowl sideways. A mistake on it will cost you $30 bucks for a new cowl, so be careful the first time. I can't post photos because of the proxy server here at my work computor and I dont have internet t home yet. But if you can , please do so. Finnished wing last night. All hinge slots are too shallow and need to be hawged out more. Other than that, onto the tail feathers. Seeya, MM

Harry Lagman 08-11-2005 07:48 PM

MM, thanks for the progress updates. I was looking at the Minnow as a potential next model but just noticed Tower's not shipping them outside the US, even though they ship the Toni and models as large as the 80" Lancair quite happily - very strange...

Is the box any bigger than normal?

Anyway, keep the updates coming!

SkyChaser 08-12-2005 06:17 AM

MM,

Thank you for your thoughts. You're probably right about not liking the large cylinder and valve covers sticking out of the bottom. I will have to judge from a personal visit to the LHS instead of the marketing photos.

As for the DA-50; It might throw the balance off slightly and once started, might spin the airframe faster than the prop. At least it wouldn't look ugly sticking out of the cowl. :eek:

mazer 08-12-2005 06:27 AM

Finally back from that business trip!
Thanks for that tip with the cowl MM. I'm not familiar with ST engines, you like them better than the OS, YS, and Enya?

thisoneused 08-13-2005 03:09 PM

Hey guys...hows the building going???
I got a call from home yesterday saying my right wing panel came to the house. Cant wait to get home now.......Come on friday!!!!! This is one of the bad things about going out on the road for work. I live in Ohio and my employment has me in Colorado. I can look out the hotel window and see the Rockies. Very nice to look at!! Wish I would have had a small plane to bring along!

Regards,
Jim

MormonMike 08-15-2005 07:33 AM

Guys, sorry for the delay, Had to take a three day weekend. I just seem to have great luck with Super Tigre engines.. Check your ailerons for true, one of mine was a little warped and double check the hinge slot line-ups. I had one on the left in-board aileron slotted a little off. Horizontal stab is a tight fit, thats good, med CA will keep it in place. Epoxy the top canopy deck in place on the wing fitted to the fuse so it lines up and drys where it's suppose to. Here's the big surprise------- The supplied spinner appears to be balanced!!! [ at least for mine ] I can't detect any wobble through out all the RPM range. Except for those cowl dimples being off [and having to drill them where they are suppose to be ] there really is'nt much else to say on this. I used a Dremel to cut my canopy to shape, Smoked the inside of it and glued it on. Red pin striping covered the seam nicely. Took one ounce of lead at tail wheel to balance it. That's about it . Will test fly after daughters Saturday 20th wedding. :D Seeya then, MM PS, yes its a much bigger box for shipping.

mazer 08-15-2005 08:20 AM

Hi MM! Can't wait to hear how this plane flys! I'm thinking of putting in an OS 1.08. Quick question, it says this is a "remote needle" version, what does that mean? Ups the price on the engine quite a bit for it.
Pete

MormonMike 08-15-2005 10:47 AM

Pete, funny you should mention that. I have an OS 1.08 in my Miss America. Remote needle means its toward the rear of the engine. It works just great too. HOWEVER-------- It is a bigger shaped engine. You'll need a Pitts style muffler for it and it will hawg -out quite a bit of the cowl. Other than that , I can't see why it would'nt work. For your info, I can't see much difference at all in power performance between my Shoestring/ Little Toni ST.90 versus the OS 1.08 Miss AM. It's a 420 cc fuel tank in the Minnow [ I think thats 14 ounces ] and really could use a bigger tank. The only thing sticking out of the Minnow cowl is the muffler, does'nt look bad at all. Great Planes appears to be taking the lead in quality. I notice it's consistanly getting better so will wait to see what they come up with next. Time's up, back to work, Seeya, MM:D

Michael R. 08-15-2005 10:51 AM

Anyone thought about making the Minnow electric?

Michael...

MormonMike 08-15-2005 12:59 PM

Mike, sure you can and it'll probably work very impressive too. Dont use a BEC whatever you do. Use a separate battery for the controls. Thats the VOICE OF EXPIERIENCE. Try it. MM

GarySS 08-15-2005 03:36 PM

Hey Guys, About how much "ground clearance" is there with the wheel pants installed on either the Minnow or Little Toni? Thanks??

MormonMike 08-16-2005 07:31 AM

Wheel pants are about the same height in mounted position, About 5/8 inch. I've used a small piece of metal banding strap painted the same color and applied double sticky sided sponge tape to them and applied them under the wheel pants to protect them from hard landing scuffs. MM

mazer 08-16-2005 08:18 AM

So........how does it fly???? Does the ST 90 pull it around quickly? How does it handle??? Need the details MM!!!! :)

MormonMike 08-17-2005 07:47 AM

Pete, I'm grounded till after this wedding on Saturday. I'm flustered too, but there's no time at all to get out to the site. [ it also "irks" me that I can't post photos yet ] I don't know what else to say. Respectfully, Michael [MM][:o]

mazer 08-17-2005 09:56 AM

Ah well, that's life [:o]. I'll be away all weekend as well so no flying for me! I'm curious as to what radio you are using? 6 channel? How many servos?
Trust me, I'm writing it all down ;).
Pete

MormonMike 08-17-2005 10:50 AM

Yo Pete, this might raise your eyebrows a little. I use a pair of Futaba 9C's. I have twenty-five fully operational RC aircraft. each one is treated with the care of a full-scale. I dont take short-cuts with any of them in maintenence. It would be inviting an argument were I to down-talk Futaba's biggest competitor. So after a lot of careful research when I started this hobby, I chose what I now use. Each of these planes is a carefully planed investment [ we all know they ain't cheap! ] So I plan only the best I know for them. Mechanical/electrical malfunctions are excepted/expected should a crash occur, Pilot error is not, and that comes straight from the wives...er...I mean the wife. Enough of my life story, The fun part of this is none of the other club members think I have this for the annual Labor Day Airshow. We have an air race in it. Once the engine breaks-in after about six/seven tank fulls, It will be interesting to see the "Dumb-Looks"on their faces:D at the finish line. Keep ya posted, MM

Kirk RC 08-17-2005 08:22 PM

Hi Mike,
I just finished my Little Tony with a Jett 90L, Why dont you bring out your minnow to Jordon River this weekend and we can do a head to head. Would be interesting to see which one has the speed as they both are so similiar.
Cheers,
KirkRC

MormonMike 08-18-2005 07:02 AM

WELL HOWDY PARDNER !!. :D I will probably take you up on that offer. I'm up here in Logan. I have my daughters wedding here this weekend so I'm "booked" for this Saturday. My engine only has a couple tank fulls run through it at this point so I need a few more before I can get the best out of it. Tell ya what, can I offer an invitation to you to come up here to the Logan-Cache airport while I'm breaking mine in ?. I promise to come fly at your site in a couple of more weekends. Probably right after the Labor day Airshow here. The wife and I just love to get out of here and try different sites, Yours being one of them. Gimme the directions to it. Lastly, tell me how your Minnow went together. Could use a phone number from you also, Seeya, MM. Kirk, Gimme your club website too, Ours is Bridgerlandrc.org