RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   *Skyshark Edge 540* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3372413-%2Askyshark-edge-540%2A.html)

Zippi 09-19-2005 10:23 AM

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Has anyone heard of this manufacture and how the quailty is? This is the specs on there plane.

Specifications:

Wingspan: 64 inches
Length: 58 inches
Wing Area: 689 Sq. In.
Flying Weight: 5.9 - 7.5 lbs.
Wing Loading: 20 - 25 oz sq/ft
Radio: 4-5 channels
Engine Size: .60 - .90 2-stroke, .91 - 1.20 4-stroke
Building Experience Recommended: Beginner
Flying Experience Recommended: Intermediate

$269.95

http://www.skysharkrc.com/edge540.htm

FW190 Dave 09-19-2005 03:13 PM

RE: *Skyshark Edge 540*

Zippi, I have built one of there kits and am in the middle of a second one from them. I can tell you first hand that there quality is A+ and they take a great interest in Customer Saticfaction. If the edge 540 is anything like there kits the quility will be heads and toes above everybody else. They test there products thoroughly before they release them on the market as well. If you like there planes I would not hesitate to Buy one. I think they are well worth the money. Very well engineered as well.

Zippi 09-20-2005 08:30 AM

Thanks FW190 Dave. Looks like a very nice plane. I watched the video of the plane and it flys great. Until yesterday, I had never heard of Skyshark.

gjeffers 09-20-2005 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Thanks FW190 Dave. Looks like a very nice plane. I watched the video of the plane and it flys great. Until yesterday, I had never heard of Skyshark.

hey zippi, skyshark is listed as being in lake havasu az and i have raider ron that lives in fort majave checking it out for me, like you i like the plane but not to many people have one that i know of so ill let you know how it turns out when ron finds out, may be a few days;)

sorry, i didnt see fw190 daves report till after i posted, will take his word to heart;)

Zippi 09-20-2005 12:05 PM

Thanks gjeffers. I just ordered the Skyshark Edge 540 today and the people you talk to or really nice and they speak good english :) The video of the planes looks like they put it through the ringer. I was going to order the Pacific Edge 540 but I couldn't get ahold of anyone when I called and they would'nt call back. Same thing with Ultra RC, I was going to order their 3D Quest but after multiple calls and one email, I never heard anything. Oh well, I think the Skyshark Edge 540 has the best color scheme of any in its size range anyway. I hope the info you get on the plane checks out ok since I already ordered it.

Zippi 09-20-2005 12:59 PM

Whenever my kit comes in I'll post some pics of the packing and the parts and give a little review of what I think before building. I plan on installing an OS .91FX on the business end and all Hitec servos. Probably 635's and 645 for the rudder.

gjeffers 09-20-2005 01:19 PM

yea Zippi, let us know , i might get one too if ya like it, if so ill put a saito 100 gk in her, that ort to do it:D
post it here so i dont miss it.

thanks Zippi

Zippi 09-20-2005 01:27 PM

The video of the plane has a Saito 100. Have you seen the video yet? I'd like to put a Saito 100 in mine but I just don't have the extra cash right now.
http://www.skysharkrc.com/

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

yea Zippi, let us know , i might get one too if ya like it, if so ill put a saito 100 gk in her, that ort to do it:D
post it here so i dont miss it.

thanks Zippi

gjeffers 09-20-2005 01:37 PM

i cant view the vidio, cant find source filter?ill see if i cant find the fix for that!!!!

Zippi 09-20-2005 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought you might be interested in this since your into the same size planes as me. The plane that I'm flying now is a Model Tech formula 3D Competition with a Super Tigre G-90 up front swinging an APC 14X4W prop. Nice plane and plenty of power.

FW190 Dave 09-20-2005 03:01 PM

Zippi, I think you will be more than saticfied with Skyshark. I have never had an email unanswered or a call go unheard from them.

To give you an example of the kind of people you are dealing with, I am currently building one of there 109G airplanes. I emailed them inquireing about purchasing a couple extra fire-walls to play around with engine orientation. They asked me for a shipping addeess and sent them out free of charge. They really do care about there customers and there products.

Anyways, please post a report on your purchase.

gjeffers 09-20-2005 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Just thought you might be interested in this since your into the same size planes as me. The plane that I'm flying now is a Model Tech formula 3D Competition with a Super Tigre G-90 up front swinging an APC 14X4W prop. Nice plane and plenty of power.

nice Zippi, here are a few pics of mine.

z

Zippi 09-26-2005 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received my Edge 540 from Skyshark today and WOW, what a kit. The first thing that I noticed when I opened the box was how well everything was packed and in its own compartment and also stapled to the side of the box and with no damage as far as I can tell so far. This is a good size plane and just what I was looking for. There is a little TLC that will be required on the covering to tighten it up but it looks very good. I noticed a few chips on the paint job on the cowling but no big deal. There are two sets of aluminum landing gear that come with the kit, one is marked "Heavy Duty For Grass" and is painted white. I may have to go all out and get the Saito 1.00, this is just to nice of a plane to put a 2 stroke on ;). Overall view of this kit, Very nice looking, great quality, good size plane for the weight and, it's well worth the money. Now, if it flys like they say it does, S.....W.....E.....E.....T :D

Zippi 09-26-2005 06:35 PM

The instruction book that comes with the kit is one of the better ones I've seen in a while and its in a spiral binder. I trial fitted the wing joiner to see if there was going to be an issue there and it fit like a glove. I just have not been able to find a thing wrong with this kit at all. Man, I can't wait to get this thing in the air. I'm a slow builder and don't have a lot of time so it will be a while before it's air worthy. I'm going with the Saito 1.00 since there instructions say it has unlimited vertical with this engine, that's what I'm looking for. I'm not much of a 3D flier but I do like flying aerobatics and IMAC. This plane should be great.

jgraham10 09-27-2005 09:08 PM

I do not know if anyone one else noticed that the 540 went onsale and has free shipping.
The price is 239.95 instead of 269.95.
Very tempting price.
John

Zippi 09-28-2005 05:29 PM

I ordered mine two days before the sale and I emailed them and said that if I would have known there was going to be a sale, I would have waited. They were more than ready to help me out and gave me a vinyl checkerboard graphics kit for the Edge 540 to make up for missing out on the sale at no charge to me. Now I tell you, that is customer service at it's finest. The people at Skyshark are very nice people to deal with. They have a great product, great customer service, and nice people to talk with. What else could a person ask for.

ORIGINAL: jgraham10

I do not know if anyone one else noticed that the 540 went onsale and has free shipping.
The price is 239.95 instead of 269.95.
Very tempting price.
John

jgraham10 09-28-2005 05:32 PM

I have to agree with that on their Customer Service.
It is above par.
John

FW190 Dave 09-28-2005 10:10 PM

Zippi that is great news. Keeps us up to date on the plane.:D

jucava 09-28-2005 10:15 PM

build and flight report please.

Zippi 09-29-2005 05:47 PM

So far, all I've had time to do is hinge the ailerons on and epoxy the wing joiner in one wing half. The covering was a little loose and it just took a little work to get it tight again. I always go over the whole plane with a heat iron to seal all the edges anyway so no big deal. My new Saito 1.00 came in and I just ordered my servos from Servo City. I'll be using Hitec HS-635's for the ailerons and the elevator and HS-645 for the rudder and HS-425 for the throttle. It came with a white plastic spinner but I'll probably go with a Tru-Turn or Dave Brown spinner. I noticed in the instruction book that it tells you about the 7/8" dihedral in the wing early on but as you go through the steps where it gets to epoxying the two wing halfs together it does not say to raise one end 7/8" before you epoxy to two wing halfs together. That could be overlooked very easy if you don't watch out and get in a hurry.

ken graham 10-01-2005 12:21 PM

hi zippi just thought to let you know. i've flown one for about 1/2 tank of fuel it flies real nice. so nice that i bought one myself that same day!!!!
:) when putting it together be sure the stabs are good i had to sand very little. also the plane is tail heavy[&o] i put the battery pack under the cowl behind the firewall on that little shelf,mounted the receiver as far foward as i could and still had to add nose weight. by the way i put a .91 fx swinging a 16-4w apc prop. you might want to put the grass landing gear on it; it's alot stronger even on pavment which you fly at evansville rc field. i fly off of grass and the other guys plane the landing gear didn't hold up very well. i havn't flown mine yet still need to glue on canopy and go fly it.:D

Zippi 10-01-2005 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't wait to fly mine ken. Here are a few pics of the progress that I have made. Had a block sale today so all I had time far was putting the two wing halves together. I did go with the heavy landing gear. I was going to put an OS .91FX on mine and decided to go with the Saito 1.00. The video of this plane has the 1.00 and they said it had unlimited vertical and all they had to do for balance was put the battery pack up front. We'll see I guess. I haven't ran into any trouble yet but I did attach the wheel pants a little different. I didn't like the idea of having a hole in the outside of the wheel pant. I also got the checker board vinyl decal sheet to make it look just a little better. Ken, I went with Hitec HS-635's and HS-645 on the rudder. What are you going to use?

jgraham10 10-01-2005 08:39 PM

Zippi,
It is looking good almost good enough that I want to go out and get one but alas to many already.
Just picked up a used Chip Hyde CapX that will have a YS140L on it when all is said and done.
Looks like it will be a great flyer and a fun one at that.
John

gsmarino2000 10-01-2005 09:03 PM

My flying buddy got his Skyshark Edge 540 put together a couple of weeks ago with an OS91SX. Good flying plane, although we have not had enough time to check out the 3D capability yet. First landing was really gentle, but bent the gear. We bent them back, they seemed like dead soft aluminum. I was flying it on the second flight, had a dead stick and had to land it in the dirt. Folded the gear back flat against the fuse. I have never seen such weak gear - they would not support a .25-size plane, let alone a plane this size. Only other problem is the black trim between the red and white is coming off already.

Greg

Zippi 10-02-2005 04:32 PM

gsmarino2000, were you using the light gear or the heavy? I installed the heavy on mine and it seems pretty stout. I made a little progress today by getting the wing attached and the horizontal and vertical stab installed. I'm still waiting for all my servo's from Servo City. I did notice something today, where you bolt the engine mount to the firewall box there are slots and not holes. I don't remember reading anything about where to place the mount as far as up or down on the engine box. What did you do on yours???

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

My flying buddy got his Skyshark Edge 540 put together a couple of weeks ago with an OS91SX. Good flying plane, although we have not had enough time to check out the 3D capability yet. First landing was really gentle, but bent the gear. We bent them back, they seemed like dead soft aluminum. I was flying it on the second flight, had a dead stick and had to land it in the dirt. Folded the gear back flat against the fuse. I have never seen such weak gear - they would not support a .25-size plane, let alone a plane this size. Only other problem is the black trim between the red and white is coming off already.

Greg