RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Pacific Aeromodels 1/4 Laser 200 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/367884-pacific-aeromodels-1-4-laser-200-a.html)

Blackhawk RCU 11-16-2002 05:28 AM

Pacific Aeromodels 1/4 Laser 200

Has any one seen or have one, is how does it rate.

I saw the Tigermoth at Toledo last year got to give it a good look over, inside and out. I like the way it as done, light and great workmanship.

newto3D 05-03-2003 06:14 AM

Well, I just finished my maiden voyage of my new Laser 200 1/4 scale from PAC.

VERY solid bird, I am quite pleased. Construction was great, ALL the parts minus engine, radio and fuel were provided to complete the kit.

I mounted it up with 6 Hitech HS225MG servos and an O.S. FS-120S-E. Mounting the 2 elevator servos in the tail of the plane had my C.G. spot on to the kit recommended "start point". A pull-pull rudder system and she came in at 9lbs finished flying weight.

The engine hasn't even had it's first gallon run through it, so I wasn't expecting miracles (only had 2 1/2 12 oz. tank fulls run through it so far). I started my take off roll, it was tracking very straight and true, so I applied more throttle till about 1/4 throttle and to my shock, the tail was already flying!! So I did what any other sane pilot would do.......FIREWALL IT!!! Wow! It just lept into the air litterally, pointed it vertical, e.g. straight up, and off it went.

Tried a few tricks I was used to with my Extra 300S .40 size and was quite please at how solid this 200 was. Then I tried to hover, could definately climb out of a "hover". It was more just a hang on the prop for a few seconds and then slooowly climb out of it, this all being at full throttle.

After further discussion with a friend of mine, we think I am under proped in diameter and overproped in pitch (had a 16x5 wood prop on at the time) so tomorrow first thing am off to buy a couple more props, a 17x4 and an 18x3 <---no clue if such a best exists.

Anyhow, am quite pleased and will be going out again in the morning after returning from the shop. Will keep ya'll posted how it went.

Also, I am not new to R/C, just new to 3D flying, so please, ANY advice you may have I am willing to hear.

Neil

outssider 05-03-2003 04:07 PM

let me know when you find a 17/4 or 18/3... ;)

in the mean time try a 16/6 or maybe an apc 16/4Wide.

newto3D 05-03-2003 06:55 PM

Lol! Ya, I checked at my hobby store, those props don't exist. I did pick up a 15x4W APC, gonna give that a try. Didn't see a 16x4W APC or I would have got it as well.

Gonna head out here in a few minutes to go fly, so will let ya know how it goes when I return. :)

Neil

outssider 05-04-2003 03:58 PM

ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........that's kinda small for a 120 4-stoke...be very careful

newto3D 05-04-2003 08:49 PM

what would you recommend for a 1.20 4 stroke? am flying in Grapevine, TX, so am not quite at sea level, but am close.

Neil

outssider 05-04-2003 11:57 PM

it really depends on what style of flying you do and what exactly you are trying to accomplish ;) ......slow 3d flight with lots of torque..... stick with 17/6 16/6 16/5 (watch the revs) or 16/4 w apc....regular type aerobatics (a bit faster) 16/7 15/8

eness76-RCU 05-05-2003 12:02 AM

Laser Review

I've been flying mine now for about 2 weeks. I have a few year old low time ASP 1.08 running on an APC 15x6 that I've fine tuned with a new style magnum carb, added a head shim, and it's running on a Cline Regulator to put the tank on the CG. It's unlimited vertically. I'm using Hitec 5945s (two of them) on the elevator, and 5645s on the rudder and ailerons. I changed out to all 4-40 hardware, as well as making a couple other changes that make me more comfortable. All I can say is that I love this plane. It tracks straight and true thru IMAC maneuvers, has minimal pitch coupling in KE that I haven't even bothered mixing out (YET!) and it will Inverted Flat and KE spin with the best of them. I started out with the CG per the instructions, but I've since moved the battery (1650nmh) from the motor box to under the wing saddle, I haven't remeasured the new position. Here is a breakdown of 3D performance:

Torque Roll: This plane will torque roll easier then my U-Can-Do-3D. It's easier to hold the tail under it, and it spins much faster.

Harrier: After moving my CG further aft, it has made it manageable, it still wing rocks quite a bit but you can get ahead of it with the ailerons and make it look pretty respectable. Although still in the preliminary testing phases, my gut feeling is that I'll never harrier land this plane, it's just a little too unstable.

Waterfall: I just can't get it to waterfall, despite the CG change, huge Elevator rate, and spoileron mixes.

Wall: Will wall very well without dropping a wing, no spoileron required.

Blender: It will do the most violent blender I've seen since my CG Ultimate w/Saito 180. This plane is designed very strong, and light, and is assembled with very good looking balsa and light ply.

Lomcevok: I know there is an argument out there that models don't have enough gyroscopic force from their propellers to do a proper Lomcevok, but from what we've all gotten to know as a lomcevok, it does one very well, it wraps up very tight and fires the tail forward for a very nice looking end over end sidways skidding flip.

As a side note I should mention that since this plane's introduction, it has been changed significantly, it's a little larger, a few more sqin of wing area, more traditional plug in wing design, and a built up hatch. I purchased my plane last christmas, before they released the new version. From email conversations with Johnson @ Pacific, and by looking at the pictures, I would say that the new version looks even higher quality than my version, and I think the extra wing area would allow even a wider engine selection and perhaps more stable harrier performance. I haven't weighed mine, but my guess is 8.5lbs, with the 9 pounds that the other gentleman mentioned being the absolute tops. With 827sqin of wing, that's a very low 25 ounces/sqft even at 9lbs, and it flies that way, very much on the wing, and you can land it at full stall without fear of coming off a wing tip. For Spin Entry, a very soft unnoticable touch of rudder at stall speed will coax it off a wingtip and into a clean break to spin, but that's not always necessary. Fantastic plane, I've wanted a Laser ever since I saw Mark Radcliff (family friend and former TOC/F3A world competitor) fly his TOC Laser maybe 17-18 years ago. I'm glad I waited for this version.

Shovel-Head 05-05-2003 01:33 PM

Can any of you guys post a pic of your plane? For $289 it seems like it is a great plane! I'm thinking about getting one and power it with a Magnum 91 XLS. Thanks!

eness76-RCU 05-05-2003 01:37 PM

Picture

I'd be happy to, I have several at home that I can reduce after work and put up.

Shovel-Head 05-05-2003 02:42 PM

Sounds good, do you have any with you or anyone else for that matter next to the plane? I want to get a size comparison with someone next to it! If not its ok, I still want to see how it looks!

eness76-RCU 05-05-2003 02:48 PM

I think I have one with the Laser sitting next to my Kyosho GeeBee, and possibly one next to my brother's 80" Lanier Cap. I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

eness76-RCU 05-05-2003 10:29 PM

Here is the Picture

1 Attachment(s)
Laser 200

crashNburnin 05-05-2003 10:50 PM

laser

got mine from here, awesome deal. This aircraft flys like it on rails, the 2 pc wing is great for transportation.....luvun life right now !!!! finally an awesome flyin arf!!!!