RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   How to make a Mustang PTS Unflyable! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/4270786-how-make-mustang-pts-unflyable.html)

Airmotive 05-12-2006 03:56 PM

How to make a Mustang PTS Unflyable!

First off...greetings from a first-time poster.

I bought my H9 Mustang PTS about a month ago. Since then, my instructor and I have put three very educational flights on her.

Then yesterday, the truly unthinkable happened. Not what you think (otherwise it wouldn't be unthinkable, now would it).

I work for a Rolls-Royce aircraft engine overhaul facility in Texas. Who shows up there for a tour yesterday? ALL the surviving Tuskegee Airmen!!!! Granted...there aren't very many left, but they ALL signed the left wing and fuselage of my Mustang.

As soon as I can get photos to post up, I'll have the proof.

Regardless...it was a true honor and thrill to meet the red-tailed angels. The shop where I bought the plane has already determined it shouldn't be too hard to recover the tail and wing-tips in red.

Gonna need a new airplane though...this one's done flying.

Blue Skies,
JJ

Please see my gallery for pics.

tuwood 05-12-2006 04:19 PM

RE: How to make a Mustang PTS Unflyable!

Very nice

roltech 05-12-2006 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Airmotive

First off...greetings from a first-time poster.

I bought my H9 Mustang PTS about a month ago. Since then, my instructor and I have put three very educational flights on her.

Then yesterday, the truly unthinkable happened. Not what you think (otherwise it wouldn't be unthinkable, now would it).

I work for a Rolls-Royce aircraft engine overhaul facility in Texas. Who shows up there for a tour yesterday? ALL the surviving Tuskegee Airmen!!!! Granted...there aren't very many left, but they ALL signed the left wing and fuselage of my Mustang.

As soon as I can get photos to post up, I'll have the proof.

Regardless...it was a true honor and thrill to meet the red-tailed angels. The shop where I bought the plane has already determined it shouldn't be too hard to recover the tail and wing-tips in red.

Gonna need a new airplane though...this one's done flying.

Blue Skies,
JJ

Please see my gallery for pics.

Who would want to fly it now? I would get a ARF when they come out and transfer the mtr, electric, etc, to it and keep this one for keep sake , it will gain in value in time.

roltech

BankYank 05-12-2006 08:50 PM

Its so sad to think that before long ALL the WW2 vets will be gone. Sometimes scared,Sometimes brave but ALL there pulling there weight and watching your Buddy's back. Just think of how many stories we are loosing everyday never to be told again, Some still waiting to be told and just waiting for a friendly ear. History tells the big picture but the real understanding only comes from talking to the people who were actually there.
That is a nice keep sake you now have. I would never fly it again.
Pat

MinnFlyer 05-12-2006 09:21 PM

Wow, talk about mixed emotions! How do you NOT fly a new plane? THAT'S how!!!

Welcome to RCU Airmotive. That's one heck of a first post! :D

PS, Don't fly it!

Ed_Moorman 05-12-2006 09:44 PM

You can say that again about the WW II vets. My flying buddy, Carl "Flaps" Laffert, flew Douglas Dauntlesses in the Marines in WW II. He was stationed in Mindinao on the same field with Army B-25s and P-38s. He said he remembers the end of the war. They flew their planes down to this island and taxied out on to a barge. When the barge was full, they towed it out and pushed the planes overboard. He also flew AD-2 Skyraiders in Korea, with some time in Corsairs and Tigercats. We always have something interesting to talk about on the way to the field whether it is RC or full scale.

rcfury 05-13-2006 08:57 AM

that is just awsome!!! Ive had the pleasure to meet some of those brave pilots a few years ago at a local airshow. Granted they didn't sign the wing of my plane, i do however have a hat they signed. HaHa.

Yup guess that is a real good excuse to tell the misses that you need a new plane. Thats awsome..

oh yeah welcome to RCU... Hope your stay is enjoyable.

tailskid 05-13-2006 09:44 AM

Fantastic....now order a NEW WING from H9 and put THAT wing in a showcase! I'm green with envy!!!!

Salty25 05-13-2006 08:09 PM

I would put a couple of those pics in a frame and hang the plane and pics in my living room. Of course the wife would complain but that is an irreplaceable item now.

So, what's your new plane going to be?

stallwart 05-13-2006 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Airmotive

Or, try a Scotch Brite pad and some Krylon. A member named Richard L. has some great pics of the 60 size H-9 Mustang with some re-covering in Tuskegee markings.

cwrr5 05-14-2006 08:40 AM

[X(] Cool!

That's a keeper! Don't screw with it, just hang it! :)