RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   My hangar 9 P51 is a total piece of junk!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/504425-my-hangar-9-p51-total-piece-junk.html)

serge1 01-24-2003 01:31 AM

My hangar 9 P51 is a total piece of junk!!

Well I hate to say that but what a deception...

After all the good things I heard from this arf I was very excited when I got the plane. But to date the plane is a major deception to me. First the silver metallic covering is a total waste. It peel on the inside when you shrink it. Secondly the landing gear is so weak and soft its almost a joke..And finally the cowl is not fuel proof...I started my Saito 100 and 10 minute later my cowl was a complete mess...How Hangar 9 can release a so poor product?

I hav 6 ARF and I never complained about anything but this time is just to much for me............ I know its just 250 bucks but I hate to buy junk!!

Well this is my first and last misadventure with hangar 9....

I am totally decepointed....

Great planes rules!!

Serge

av8r4aa 01-24-2003 01:37 AM

H9 Mustang

You know you are right.It ia total piece of junk. Why not box it up and send it to me for 100 bucks.

serge1 01-24-2003 01:44 AM

Re: H9 Mustang

Originally posted by av8r4aa
You know you are right.It ia total piece of junk. Why not box it up and send it to me for 100 bucks.

To late I put the plane in the trash. Anyway it did not deserve to
be boxed.. :D :D

Serge

beavertail 01-24-2003 01:58 AM

Yeah but did you fly it???? About the covering, cowl and gear, such is the way of an ARFer

tailskid 01-24-2003 01:59 AM

That's the first time I've heard such bad things about that plane. Maybe you got the 'lemon' we all avoided :-)

Jerry

serge1 01-24-2003 02:02 AM

Originally posted by tailskid
That's the first time I've heard such bad things about that plane. Maybe you got the 'lemon' we all avoided :-)

Jerry

Ya I thing so...

:mad: :mad:

serge1 01-24-2003 02:03 AM

Originally posted by beavertail
Yeah but did you fly it???? I can deal with the covering

No I did not fly it.

Serge

BRYAN01601 01-24-2003 12:32 PM

too bad, the last time I checked the lack of fuel proofing the cowl does not affect the flight performance... yes the gear is a little shakey but let me tell you, once this plane is in the air it flies just awesome....probably alot better than in a trash can.

Damnathius 01-24-2003 02:01 PM

I'd be pissed off as well. If the plane looks like doo doo on the ground due to a messed up cowl, why bother putting it in the air, let alone unloading it at the field?

I guess I'm at a loss to understand the "It doesn't matter how it looks, it's how it flies" attitude, even though I see it every time I'm at the field. Some people take more pride in their aircraft than others, even if they're "just ARFs". But that's cool by me, as it just makes our planes look that much better. :)

Sorry you got ripped for $250 plus the time wasted assembling the plane, Serge.

Mendes 01-24-2003 02:57 PM

I've seen a couple of these planes, they look great to me! Most people clearcoat the cowl to fuel proof it. The covering is Ultracote, much better than Monokote if you ask me.

I don't know, the problems all seem superficial to me. GP ARF's aren't without their faults either! Don't forget the Pitts!

You didn't actually throw it out did you? :eek:

quint-rcu 01-24-2003 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yes he did! I went by the garbage can and picked it up. - WOW is it ever s-w-e-e-t flying...

quint :)

P-51B 01-24-2003 04:27 PM

Way to go Quint! I wish I could get one of those 'stangs for free!

quint-rcu 01-24-2003 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even if it didn't come free out of a garbage can it sure turned out fine.

Modify the retracts to get the gear out in front of the leading edge, use 3/16" struts, an on-board glow driver and a big Saito up front and then see if you would throw it away. Sometimes it pays to go beyond slapping an ARF together and this plane is one of them... Get you one and add a full scale cockpit just for the heck of it

quint ;)

serge1 01-24-2003 07:51 PM

horizon hobby nightmare..

I called Horizon Hobby today to ask them a new cowl....I need the send the bad one to them in order receive the new one..
On top of that I must pay the bad cowl shipping. I must also purchase new decals to put on the cowl...

I ma totally disgusted!!

What a nightmare!!!
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Serge

paero-RCU 01-24-2003 08:10 PM

I thought you said you threw it away and it's total junk, why bother. I have one and yes the gear is weak, and I carefully shrunk the covering. I still think it's one of best ARF's out there.

NM2K 01-24-2003 08:12 PM

Let's see if I understand this right...

The model is intended to be powered by a glow engine. Right? Glow engines use glow fuel that acts as a solvent on non fuel-proof paint. Right? Why did they spray paint the cowl with non fuel-proof paint? Why would Horizon (or anyone else) sell a model that is degraded by using its intended fuel?

Did I miss something?

serge1 01-24-2003 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Artisan
Let's see if I understand this right...

The model is intended to be powered by a glow engine. Right? Glow engines use glow fuel that acts as a solvent on non fuel-proof paint. Right? Why did they spray paint the cowl with non fuel-proof paint? Why would Horizon (or anyone else) sell a model that is degraded by using its intended fuel?

Did I miss something?

Man you're right! I doubt I can fit may Taurus 52 in that thing!!

I am not the kind of quy to complaint about anything but I hate to waste my time on poor quality or deffective product. But what frustrate me the most is to waste my time to get a new cowl.
I need to pack the bad cowl , pay for the shipping and wait, wait and wait...This is totally ridiculous...Not my fault after all if the cowl is not fuelproofed!!

Just my 2 cents.
Serge

beavertail 01-24-2003 08:21 PM

why

Serge, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you like buying ARF's this will not be the last time you will be disgusted. If these little things bother you, you might want to start looking to building from kits. Ive had bad expieriences from ARF's too. but I knew that the person that put that plane together usually doesnt care how its going to look to you. I think these things are bothering you too much, man. Most arf;s even hangar nine, are made by people who dont fly or know what fuel proof's a cowl.
Money is the bottom line, the good fuel proofing stuff was probably just wasnt cost efficient. ya know

Take a breath, fix whats wrong and fly.

P.S. I mean well

JWN 01-24-2003 08:22 PM

Re: horizon hobby nightmare..

Originally posted by serge1
I called Horizon Hobby today to ask them a new cowl....I need the send the bad one to them in order receive the new one..
On top of that I must pay the bad cowl shipping. I must also purchase new decals to put on the cowl...

I ma totally disgusted!!

What a nightmare!!!
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Serge

Would you replace something site unseen based on a strangers comments when you're not receiving complaints from other people? No, you wouldn't. You would want proof. That is all H9 is asking for. Also, with your bad part in their hands, they can go back to the manufacturer of the model and demand 1) a replacement to cover their cost, and 2) demand improvements in the product. I would fight having to buy new decals, but that's your decision. You could always demand to talk to a supervisor and see if they are willing to budge.

Yes, it sucks to be in your spot right now. But, with a little effort, you should be able to get it all resolved to your satisfaction and get on with enjoying your new model.

John

serge1 01-24-2003 08:30 PM

Re: why

Originally posted by beavertail
Serge, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you like buying ARF's this will not be the last time you will be disgusted. If these little things bother you, you might want to start looking to building from kits. Ive had bad expieriences from ARF's too. but I knew that the person that put that plane together usually doesnt care how its going to look to you. I think these things are bothering you too much, man.

Take a breath, fix whats wrong and fly.

P.S. I mean well

I can live with the covering and the weak landing gear. But the cowl is the major issue for me. I can't finish the plane right now and that frustrate me a lot. However this is a good reason to buy another arf while waiting for the new cowl..

:D :D :D
Serge

beavertail 01-24-2003 08:39 PM

Yeah

i just think your taking it way too hard, man.

BRYAN01601 01-24-2003 10:53 PM

I clear coated my cowl soon after I noticed it was not fuel proof. There is a slight discoloration around my fuel dot but that is about it. Most if not All arf's need a little tweaking or personalizing here and there, I believe it is the norm. Most arf reviews even mention that they used there own prefered hardware etc... As for the cowl not being fuel proof yeah it is a disapointment, and they should replace the cowl and sticker set in my opinion. My great planes 25% Extra had a good cowl but the paint was a little to dark for a good color match (no big deal). When I called great planes they apoligized and sent a new one. No questions asked :) hanger 9 Does not follow the same philosophies as great planes I guess. But it is still an awesome flying airplane, and everytime I am at the field setting up there are always 2-3 fellow flyers that mention "what a nice looking plane" I would buy another hanger 9 arf... mabey the new cesna 182 :)

happy flying serge,
get over it
it is part of this wonderful hobby.

kwelz 01-24-2003 11:25 PM

Ok I was one of the first people to get a H9 P-51.

There were a couple batches that did not have Fuel Proofed Cowls. It sounds to me like you got one from old stock. I called them about mine and they replaced it with no questions asked.
This has been a long while back so they may be questioning if you are someone trying to cash in on past problems and try to get a New Cowel cause you messed yours up in instalation or something.

Frankly you can't blame them for being careful...

On teh Landing gear. This was a worry of mine as well. However it is stronger than you think. Trust me, mine has had a couple very nasty landings and it has never given me any problems.

The one thing you do need to double check however is the firewall. It needs more support if you put any good sized power plant on it. a .65 or so will not strain it but a Saito 91 or 100 is going to pull it right off.

Call Horizon Stay calm. Be nice, and listen to what they have to say. They have some of the best customer service in the business..

F.Ciccarello 01-24-2003 11:41 PM

H-9/P51

I have about 25 flights on mine, I think it is a good plane for the money. All I did to my plane was clear coat the cowl and change the struts to 3/16" wire. This is the best flying .60 size P-51 on the market IMHO.

warplaneinsane 01-25-2003 01:47 AM

For what it's worth

Just for what it's worth:
I've owned a couple of h9 arfs, all with disasterous results.
1st was a h9 Edge 540 ARF. I had one with a bad wing, folded up in flight, spiraled in right between the flightline and the parking area. Gave h9 an earful. they replaced the edge with a 33% extra ARF, remanufactured GT-80, and all the servos (jr8411's) to finish out the ship!!!! Extra lost it's firewall in flight,
Ship was obviosly totaled. Shook my head on the way to the trash can and gave up.
2nd. received h9 100' cub from wife as xmas gift, flew it twice and when I landed the 2nd time, I noticed the wing span was about 102"!!!! Found dowels the bolts screw into in the wing root to hold wings onto the metal spar had pulled right out. dowell/bolts holding wings onto metal spars had pulled about 2/3 the way out!!!!! She now looks pretty hanging from the ceiling of my work shop. (the cub, not my wife!)
3rd My son purchased , (w/o my knowledge) an extra easy 2 ARF trainer. While on 1st flight, while in the landing pattern, the airplane began to porpose. Had my son on trainer box, took over, (thought it was him, not the plane), and the ship was barely contollable. Finally got it on the ground in more or less 1 piece, and found the hinges had pulled out from the elevator, about 75% of the way. Sheesh!!
To make a long story a litlle shorter, I'm thru with h9 ARF's.
I also don't buy into the theory that "if you fly ARF's that's what you deal with". I have several other ARF's including great planes, model tech, the world models, Sig, kangke, and cermark, without any of the problems associated and repeated so often with h9.
.....just for what it's worth.....!!!!!
PS Anyone seen the new GP Lancair ARF? Wow!!! Sign me up!!!!