RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   2 Stroke in Sig Rascal 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5047509-2-stroke-sig-rascal-40-a.html)

Daryl_y 11-27-2006 11:10 PM

2 Stroke in Sig Rascal 40

Well I just bought Rascal 40, and great job Sig. It is built nice, straight and very light. I know I will probably get "Why don't you just put a 4 stroke in it!" but I have a perfectly good and nearly unused OS .46SF in the shop that I would like to use. The stock muffler hanging out the side looks pretty cheesy so I was wondering if anybody has had any luck fitting in a inverted in-cowl muffler. It is a real tight fit in the engine compartment but looks like you could get an in-cowel muffler to fit. Just wondering if anybody has done this to theirs.

Kmot 11-28-2006 01:21 AM

RE: 2 Stroke in Sig Rascal 40

Do you have a noise restriction where you fly? Club rule or something? If not, you could install one of those old skool Dubro flat mufflers. They make a very small profile outside the plane.

JNorton 11-28-2006 12:04 PM

I flew mine with a TT 46 Pro with the regular muffler. I don't think a Pitts Muffler would fit.

The one thing I would do is use the aluminum engine beam mounts as a pattern and replace them with steel. This was the only problem I ever had with this plane after I beefed up the landing gear mount. The aluminum beam mounts will break. The landing gear mount was made out of wood instead of aircraft ply and split length wise on a bad landing.

John

N1EDM 12-02-2006 09:42 PM

I also 'had' a Rascal 40 with a TT Pro 46 in it. To make a long story short, I flew a big loop, let too much speed build up on the backside and didn't throttle back. I wanted to make a high-speed pass and thought I was pulling out gradually. Well, I wasn't.

The wings departed the fuselage simultaneously. The last part 'flying' was the landing gear which was ripped off the fuse. I left debris for 250 feet... man, what a great crash!! Wish I had video

It wasn't the fault of the plane by any means - I just pulled too many G's. I really love this plane and am going to get another. But, just be careful with your OS. Have fun with this bird. You're really going to enjoy it.

Bob

NM2K 12-02-2006 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I also 'had' a Rascal 40 with a TT Pro 46 in it. To make a long story short, I flew a big loop, let too much speed build up on the backside and didn't throttle back. I wanted to make a high-speed pass and thought I was pulling out gradually. Well, I wasn't.

The wings departed the fuselage simultaneously. The last part 'flying' was the landing gear which was ripped off the fuse. I left debris for 250 feet... man, what a great crash!! Wish I had video

It wasn't the fault of the plane by any means - I just pulled too many G's. I really love this plane and am going to get another. But, just be careful with your OS. Have fun with this bird. You're really going to enjoy it.

Bob

-------------

Any sport ARF that will not perform a full throttle loop when powered by an engine within the rated displacement range without structural failure is defective, UNLESS you let it go straight down at full throttle and then jerked in full up elevator in copiously over abundant amounts. Seriously, I would talk to them about providing a free replacement.

Ed Cregger

N1EDM 12-03-2006 09:36 PM

Nope, Ed.

It was full throttle on the backside of a loop... gravity had something to say about it....

Not the airframe's fault at all...

Bob

Daryl_y 12-03-2006 10:51 PM

Thanks for your input guys, The OS .46 is going in. Guess I will just cut out a hole for the stock muffler and hang it out 1 side like the plans show. I'll just be sure to take pictures of it from the left side :) I have had very little time to work on it but I have re-shrinked the covering and fitted the wing up to the fuselage. Although the quality of the construction so far could not be better the covering is a little rough. I would not be proud of the covering job if I had done it. The main reason for this problem is the holes for the aileron servos and where the the tail feathers are mounted have already had the covering removed and the edges were not rolled over in the aileron bays. This makes it impossible to shrink the covering wrinkle free on the elevator and the bottom of the wings as the covering will just pull away leaving bare wood around the open bays. I wound up having to cover over the bays with some ultra-cote and then re-shrink it to get the covering a little tighter.
This is approximately eighth R/C airplane and my first ever ARF and I must admitted its kinda of fun opening a box and seeing most of the work already done for you. However, I really enjoy gluing, sanding and covering so the work that is left installing the engine, servos and running the control rods is actually the least enjoyable part of the hobby for me. Assembling this ARF will be a nice break (even if its only for a week or so) from building my current project which is a Sig King Kobra.

NM2K 12-04-2006 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Nope, Ed.

It was full throttle on the backside of a loop... gravity had something to say about it....

Not the airframe's fault at all...

Bob

-----------------

This doesn't make any sense to me. Who would sell a model that when powered by a recommended engine (size wise) could not complete a full throttle loop without structural failure, OTHER than a fun fly or 3D plane? Things must have changed, I suppose.

Of course, if there was a warning in the instruction manual about such maneuvers, that would be a valid excuse.

I don't usually have full power applied on the backside of a loop. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere, especially with a model airplane such as the Rascal. What a beauty.

There was a fellow at our old club's flying field (ERAM) that was flying the Rascal 40 powered by a Super Tigre GS40. I was amazed at how the model flew and how powerful the GS40 was. That was a sweet combination.

Ed Cregger

Timoteo 12-04-2006 10:19 AM

I have a Rascal 40 and have had the motor mount and landing gear problems. Fixed those and love the airplane. There is one other area that could be a potential problem that might have had something to do with the crash mentioned above. If you over tighten the wing hold down bolts, it could weaken or break the mount that contains the blind nuts, that the bolts screw into. If that mount failed, the wing would depart the airplane.

N1EDM 12-09-2006 01:57 AM

Well, Ed, to put this matter to bed, my instructor, waaaaaaay back when, always taught me to throttle back on the back side of a loop... which I didn't do. Remember, this was a very, very large loop and she had a lotta room to dive (a few hundred feet) to pick up a head of steam.

I won't badmouth a plane when it was my own bad judgement.

High altitude + Gravity = very high speed and lotsa stress on the pullout...

Yup, want another one... End of comments on this issue.

Bob

22Ryan22 12-09-2006 06:05 PM

See if a slimline works. They're great exhausts!

rtn9105 05-07-2007 06:25 AM

Does anyone have any pictures of their Rascal with a 2 stroke mounted in it with the stock muffler?

RCVFR 05-07-2007 09:01 AM

I saw one at the field. A much repaired plane with upright engine, stock muffler. Don't do it! Inverted engine is a more complex installation, but some things need to be done a certain way. This is one. Upright engine ought to be a last resort, at least it is for me. I shouldn't be telling others what to do. Just my point of view. ;)

NM2K 05-08-2007 12:07 AM

I'll use the Saito .56. That or an Enya .53. Yep, that's what I'll do. But only after a good break-in on the test bench.

The Rascal 40 flying at our field was perfectly powered by an ST GS-40. I was amazed at how strong the little GS-40 was and how smooth it transitioned and how well it idled. Shouldn't have been, but I was.

Ed Cregger

rtn9105 05-09-2007 03:39 AM

I'm thinking a Saito 56 might be the best way to go but I have a Super Tiger G45 just sitting on the bench so I was wondering how everyone has mounted the muffler on the 2 strokes.

JNorton 05-09-2007 04:25 AM

Inverted with a cutout through the side wall. At least that's how I mounted my TT 46 Pro. Replace the aluminum engine beam mounting pieces with steel. The aluminum ones break.
John

rtn9105 06-04-2007 04:05 AM

I picked up one of these planes at a swap meet a few week ago with a Saito 72 for power. Can anyone tell me if standard servos are enough for the control surfaces?

Also can anyone give me the CG location and the control surface throw measurements as I didn't get a manual with my plane.

JNorton 06-04-2007 04:26 AM

Mine flew great with Hitec 425's. Download the manual from Great Planes website. 4-5/8" from leading edge of the wing at the fuse.
http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html
John

RCVFR 06-04-2007 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: rtn9105

I picked up one of these planes at a swap meet a few week ago with a Saito 72 for power. Can anyone tell me if standard servos are enough for the control surfaces?

Also can anyone give me the CG location and the control surface throw measurements as I didn't get a manual with my plane.
Standard servos are fine. That is a hugely overpowered engine for that plane! Enjoy it!

JNorton 06-04-2007 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines
Standard servos are fine. That is a hugely overpowered engine for that plane! Enjoy it!
HUH? A .70 4 stroke is usually considered equivalent to a .40 2 stroke.
John

rtn9105 06-04-2007 02:37 PM

I was going to pick up a Saito 56 for the plane but I want to put a set of floats on it later on so I decided to leave the 72.

JNorton, thanks for the CG measurement. Am I missing something on that page? I can't find the Rascal listed anywhere, I didn't know Great Planes supplied the manuals for Sig kits.

rtn9105 06-04-2007 07:07 PM

I got the Rascal ready to fly, maybe put the first flights on it tomorrow.

I checked my CG and mine balances right on the spar which is 3 1/2" back from the leading edge. Has anyone flown this plane with the CG off by an inch?

Also can anyone tell me how this plane handles 12-18 mph winds.

JNorton 06-04-2007 07:12 PM

I'm BRAIN DEAD. :eek:

I don't know what I was thinking. Actually I do but how I got a Venus out of the Rascal is beyond me except I've had them both. I just went downstairs and couldn't find the Rascal manual.

Sorry for the bad information.

With egg on my face,
John

Don't use the CG I gave you it's wrong. Mine balanced on the spar too. It handles the wind fine.

get14me 05-12-2008 10:37 PM

Rascal Weak spot.
wing joiner 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock .
after ripping off my wings , I thought about how little surface support there is in the wing joiner pocket.

If you have one and like to fly pattern or anything other than lazy sunday, reinforcement is a must.

Total destruction , SPECTACULAR mid air implosion. as the wings riped off they cleaned out the tail section on there way by,
leaving the fuselages to go in for a deep soil sample.