RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

OldFart1 09-16-2009 11:39 AM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

ORIGINAL: Ed

I was able to order my Abell G-26 muffler direct from them. It's an excellent quality muffler, all welded and polished aluminum, and adds about 300 RPM over stock. The legendary Ralph Cunningham put me on to them years a go.

Ed
Ed, I've had several folks recommend that muffler, it's supposedly a bit less restrictive (more RPM) but a bit (or a lot) louder than the Pitts style. Can't get Abell's website to even acknowledge that they SELL mufflers right now though - no link :(

mobyal 09-16-2009 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: jmesseder

Uggg 1st quarter scale, need to pick up a Sullivan Dynatron starter to spin the Saito 1.80.

Has anyone else experienced the supplied plastic engine mount vibration problems with this engine?

Check out the starters offered by Pac Aero, dist of this Arf. They've got some that'll spin that puppy. I have one that I got at Toledo a few years ago and it's just great.
Al

sgillmore 09-16-2009 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: edgeman55-RCU
Just ordered one of these.Going to put a new DL 30 in her.
I'm really glad to see that this thread is still active. I'm scraping together the funds to buy one of these right now. I also plan to use a DLE-30 so I'm very interested to see how yours works out. I have a couple DL-50s and so far I've been very happy with them. Can't wait to try out the little "30".

Has anyone put a pilot figure in their Monocoupe? Just wondering if someone has found a good "fit" for this plane. Thanks.

dgliderguy 09-16-2009 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: sgillmore

Has anyone put a pilot figure in their Monocoupe? Just wondering if someone has found a good ''fit'' for this plane. Thanks.
Mine has a pilot in it. He's a quarter-scale pilot bust I found on the internet, don't recall right now which one. You can sorta see him in there if you flare right at stage center, but for the most part he is out of sight when the airplane is up and flying.

Incidentally, it always bugs me when guys put the pilot right up front, peering out the windshield, with the instrument panel in his chest. If you look at pictures of the full-scale Monocoupe, you will find that the pilot's head is under the wing, between the front and rear spar. Makes it difficult to see over the nose while taxiing, but it puts the pilot a reasonable distance back from the panel, and in line with the side windows, where he can look out and smile at the ladies whilst he taxiis smartly by.

GBR2 09-16-2009 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also put a pilot in my Monocoupe. It was from MGA I believe. Mounted it similar to what Don did in the previous post. His head sits just behind the bulkhead that the wing joiner is screwed to. It adds a nice touch to the model. Not the best of pictures but you should get the drift.

jmesseder 09-17-2009 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mobyal

ORIGINAL: jmesseder

Uggg 1st quarter scale, need to pick up a Sullivan Dynatron starter to spin the Saito 1.80.

Has anyone else experienced the supplied plastic engine mount vibration problems with this engine?

Check out the starters offered by Pac Aero, dist of this Arf. They've got some that'll spin that puppy. I have one that I got at Toledo a few years ago and it's just great.
Al

Thanks for the info Al!

sedrick 09-18-2009 08:30 AM

If my 180 won't start with a back flip I use the Hobbico 180 starter with a 12 volt battery. If the battery is low you may have to completely close the throttle, including the trim to get the engine to turn then slightly open the throttle to start. certainly a 24 volt set up would work with the starter as well.

OldFart1 10-01-2009 04:18 PM

Well, after all my yammering about aftermarket exhaust - I went and ordered a stock G26 can.

Should start on her tonight - glue in the hinge points at least. A bit of work as I'll use the same method I used on my GP Ultimate (Elmers Ultimate glue, blue painters tape and vaseline). PITA - but never comes apart!

sgillmore 10-13-2009 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Should have my DLE30 tommorow and I wll post pics when I get her mounted.I'm at 5000 ft elevation and the extra power is nice.
Just wondering if you'd made any progress on the assembly? If so, how did the DLE-30 work out? I just ordered my Monocoupe a couple hours ago. I haven't bought the DLE-30 yet because I'm waiting for some reports on the Syssa Aircraft SAP-180HP 30cc gasser. It looks like an amazing engine and early observations are good. When you factor in that it basically comes with a pitts muffler, the price isn't too bad for this American-Made beauty. Looks like a perfect fit for the PA Monocoupe.

rcar4 10-14-2009 12:01 AM

That is a beauty, I will have to check them out.

kevgeiss 10-15-2009 11:50 AM

that engine looks heavy,any idea how much that engine weighs?

sgillmore 10-15-2009 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: kevgeiss
that engine looks heavy,any idea how much that engine weighs?
From the SAP website:
- Engine Weight: 33.28 ounces (887 grams) - Less ignition and mounts, but including muffler.
- Total Engine Weight: 40.18 ounces: (1082 grams) .
- Static Thrust: 18.1 lbs w/18x6 Vess Prop @ 8800 rpm and engine installed in a 73” wingspan Yak 1.20 size aerobatic airplane on the ground at 78 F degrees at 300 ft ASL.

There's also a great thread on this engine right here on RCU. The owner (tsyssa) is very active in the thread.

NEW SYSSA 30CC GASSER MADE IN THE USA
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8862472/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8862472/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

edgeman55 10-18-2009 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: sgillmore

Just ordered one of these.Going to put a new DL 30 in her.
I'm really glad to see that this thread is still active. I'm scraping together the funds to buy one of these right now. I also plan to use a DLE-30 so I'm very interested to see how yours works out. I have a couple DL-50s and so far I've been very happy with them. Can't wait to try out the little ''30''.

Has anyone put a pilot figure in their Monocoupe? Just wondering if someone has found a good ''fit'' for this plane. Thanks.
I have not been able to work on the plane as of late because real life issues got in the way.I hope to have the DLE 30 installed by the end of the week and I will post pics.Looks like it will fit nice with 2.5" standoffs.

sgillmore 10-18-2009 10:41 PM

I have not been able to work on the plane as of late because real life issues got in the way.I hope to have the DLE 30 installed by the end of the week and I will post pics.Looks like it will fit nice with 2.5'' standoffs.
Looking forward to the pictures, but I understand the "real life" issues too! The DLE-30 looks like a great match for this plane. It was definitely my choice until I stumbled across the Syssa SAP-180. I'm still not which one I'll choose in the end. My plane should arrive this week, but it will be a while before I get the chance to work on it.

maukaonyx 10-20-2009 11:21 AM

I've read where some of you have mounted OS 160FX 2-stroke engines in this airframe which I am still lusting for, lol. I have an extra OS 160FX with slimline pitts and VP-30 pump that I could put in this plane. For those that have this engine and airframe combo, how has it worked out? Is there plenty of power or just adequate power? I'd like to do aerobatics like loops and 4-pt and slow rolls, stall turns, etc with it. How is the vertical performance with this engine? Thanks! Jon

reyn3545 10-31-2009 05:34 PM

OK Saito experts... I have a question.

I've been flying gas for about 3 years, but thinking about a big radial Saito. I've read through this Monocoupe thread, and it looks like the 170 would be a good fit. I may go that route, but I was really looking at the 450. It's way overkill for this plane, but it seems almost underpowered and too heavy for something in the 50cc range. Has anyone use the 450 with success in anything but a warbird (hate them), or should I just save the extra dough and go with the monocoupe and a 170? Sorry to hijack the thread!

GaGeeBees 10-31-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

OK Saito experts... I have a question.

I've been flying gas for about 3 years, but thinking about a big radial Saito. I've read through this Monocoupe thread, and it looks like the 170 would be a good fit. I may go that route, but I was really looking at the 450. It's way overkill for this plane, but it seems almost underpowered and too heavy for something in the 50cc range. Has anyone use the 450 with success in anything but a warbird (hate them), or should I just save the extra dough and go with the monocoupe and a 170? Sorry to hijack the thread!
The 4.50 would be a whole lot of engine for this plane. You'd most likely need some weight in the tail. I'm not sure it would fit inside the cowl either. The five cylinder 3.25 would be a better fit but is still overkill and pretty heavy as well. I've been flying this plane with the 1.70 for many flights and it's a great match. I didn't have to add any ballast to get it to balance. I'm just an hour or so south of you and would be happy to show you the plane and demo how it flies. Send me a pm if you'd like to have a look.

reyn3545 10-31-2009 06:45 PM

I may do that.. I've got a brother-in-law down in Fayetteville, might be a good excuse to get down that way. I travel so much that my car doesn't know how to go past the airport without pulling into the parking lot!

I'm sure the 170 would be a great fit for the monocoupe, but for some reason, I've got the itch for a bigger motor and plane.

RHarding 11-01-2009 02:49 PM

This is for anyone running the G-26 in the Coupe. Does the carburator get enough air if you just cut the dummy engine as the instructions say to do which is just in front of the cylinder? I just ran about 8 oz of gas thru it without the cowl on and am now ready to button it up. I'm running the Bisson pits style wrap around muffler which is a really good fit inside the cowl. Only need to open up a small place for a corner of the muffler. I'm just concerned about enough air getting to the carb..

Thanks,

Richard

GBR2 11-02-2009 12:55 PM

I never had a problem with the G26 getting enough air. Using the stock muffler. Flies great.

Obee 11-05-2009 12:41 AM

My G26 ran fine with the stock setup.

OldFart1 11-06-2009 11:35 AM

Got my G26 installed last night. Got a bit agressive putting the carb screws back in - managed to crack the intake manifold (damn plastic).

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/IMG00041.jpg

RHarding 11-06-2009 12:53 PM

Looks good. That spacer will crack. I've been lucky so far. I'm almost finished with mine, but with knee replacement coming up Dec 7, I'm not sure when I'll get it in the air. Let us know how yours does. I'm gonna get another one and strip the covering and cover it to match N36Y. That is unless Pacific can get me one not covered. They told me that is a possibility.

Love those Coupes.

Richard

OldFart1 11-06-2009 12:57 PM

Ordered a replacement from Horizon when I got in. Annoying, as I just got a box from them yesterday :(

Should get the throttle servo tube finished tonight (was getting late last night and I was out of cigar!), mount the kill switch, fuel tank, fuel lines. Where have you folks mounted the fuel dot?

GBR2 11-06-2009 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this Red Fuel dot from PSP. Blends in nicely.