RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

Tisoy909 01-10-2008 01:50 AM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Clipped Wing Drivers,
Hey guys id like to put an O.S. BGX-1 in my monocoupe, i picked up this motor with a bisson side mount pitts and was curious if anyone knows if this motor mounted sideways would create too much off to the side imbalance issues, I know that i might be able to put lead in one of the wingtips to offset this but was hoping any input about what id like to do can be shared with me on this before i start any cuttin n drilling.
Thanks.
Louis

jrf 01-10-2008 12:01 PM

I don't think the side mounted weight will be a problem. I side mount all of my glow engines and I have never needed more than 1/2 ounce to lateral balance the airplane. With that heavy engine and short wing, you might need as much as a whole ounce. ;)

But would you have to cut a big hole in the side of the cowl for the head? Other issues might be cooling, weight and torque.

Jim

Jim T 01-24-2008 07:34 PM

I'm curious if anyone has one of these Pac Aero Monocoupes flying with the Brinelli 36 yet? I was thinking about doing one with the Brinelli 26, but maybe the 36 would be the way to go.

Jim

Hellcat716 01-24-2008 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the 36. Great combination.

Jim T 01-24-2008 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

I am using the 36. Great combination.
Thanks Mr. Hellcat for the info. Your Monocoupe looks terrific. I've gone back through the thread and read all I could find. Now the questions will really start. ;) I hope you don't mind.

I see you mounted your servos in the tail, but you didn't know if the 18" extensions would work. How did that work out?

Did you use the stock fuel tank?

Are you still using the Xoar 18 x 8 prop you started with?

What all other gear did you use? (servos, receiver battery, ignition battery, etc).

Also, if you happen to have a picture of the engine install, I'd love to see it.

This would be my first gasser. I have quite a few 90 size nitro planes, but think there may be a big sale this spring. :D I'll be using a JR 9303 on 2.4 gig.

Thanks, Jim

mobyal 03-05-2008 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been kind of quiet here lately, so thought I'd post a couple of pics of my engine and "instrument panel" installations.
Just about done. Final radio setup and balance are all that are left once I get the Sullivan Glow Driver working....
Engine is OS160 w/ OS predrilled aluminum mount and Slimline Pitts-style muffler. As you'll see, I had to put almost an inch of spacer behind the engine mount to get the firewall/prop distance correct, but once I did that, things lined up great. Made up a panel out of 1/16" ply and installed the switch/charger and Sullivan panel in there. It's a little bit cramped, but I can get in there to work things out. I'm toying w/ the idea of using a couple of rare earth magnets to hold on the top panel but probably'll just stay w/ screws.
Having a bit of trouble w/ the Sullivan Glow Driver. You hook the throttle servo into the Sullivan panel, then hook the panel throttle wire to the receiver. Then install the glow plug connector to the plug, and atttach the ground wire (which as supplied won't even accommodate a 4-40 bolt, let alone one larger, so I had to replace it) then plug into a separate battery. As it now stands, the throttle servo works fine, but I don't have any "fire". Any ideas before I call Sullivan?
Thanks
One of these days the weather here's gonna be good enough to fly!
Al
(Don't know why, but today the computer gods woon't let me post more than one pic at a time)

mobyal 03-05-2008 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More....

mobyal 03-05-2008 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more

Jim T 03-05-2008 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Been kind of quiet here lately, so thought I'd post a couple of pics of my engine and "instrument panel" installations.
Just about done. Final radio setup and balance are all that are left once I get the Sullivan Glow Driver working....
Engine is OS160 w/ OS predrilled aluminum mount and Slimline Pitts-style muffler. As you'll see, I had to put almost an inch of spacer behind the engine mount to get the firewall/prop distance correct, but once I did that, things lined up great. Made up a panel out of 1/16" ply and installed the switch/charger and Sullivan panel in there. It's a little bit cramped, but I can get in there to work things out. I'm toying w/ the idea of using a couple of rare earth magnets to hold on the top panel but probably'll just stay w/ screws.
Having a bit of trouble w/ the Sullivan Glow Driver. You hook the throttle servo into the Sullivan panel, then hook the panel throttle wire to the receiver. Then install the glow plug connector to the plug, and atttach the ground wire (which as supplied won't even accommodate a 4-40 bolt, let alone one larger, so I had to replace it) then plug into a separate battery. As it now stands, the throttle servo works fine, but I don't have any "fire". Any ideas before I call Sullivan?
Thanks
One of these days the weather here's gonna be good enough to fly!
Al
(Don't know why, but today the computer gods woon't let me post more than one pic at a time)
I've never delt with one (Sullivan), but there must be some programming that needs to be done so it knows when to turn on the glow at a certain throttle servo position.
What servos are you using? I'm still thinking about this plane with a Brillelli 36 gasser.

Jim

mobyal 03-05-2008 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one

mobyal 03-05-2008 11:07 AM

I'm using 5 JR 126MG Sport servos, two for ailrerons, two for elevator, one for rudder and a standard ST47 for throttle. Receiver battery is 2400 mAh, 4.8 volts. receiver is JR PCM 7Ch PCM Scanselect.
There is a programming step for the Sullivan to align it w/ throttle position. First step is to turn on the switch and according to the instructions one of the LEDs'll flash. Nothing. Plus you set throttle/glow ppoints by using lights. Nothing there either. As I said, thete's no "fire", no current. Plug's good and plenty of charge on a brand new battery.

Jim T 03-05-2008 11:12 AM

I'm using 5 JR 126MG Sport servos, two for ailrerons, two for elevator, one for rudder and a standard ST47 for throttle. Receiver battery is 2400 mAh, 4.8 volts. receiver is JR PCM 7Ch PCM Scanselect.
There is a programming step for the Sullivan to align it w/ throttle position. First step is to turn on the switch and according to the instructions one of the LEDs'll flash. Nothing. Plus you set throttle/glow ppoints by using lights. Nothing there either. As I said, thete's no "fire", no current. Plug's good and plenty of charge on a brand new battery.
Does the throttle servo work? Or it there no action there either?
Tnx for the servo info.

Jim

mobyal 03-05-2008 11:19 AM

Yep, the throttle servo works fine.

mobyal 03-05-2008 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one

Jim T 03-05-2008 11:31 AM

Does the engine need to be grounded to the Sullivan panel to complete the glow circuit? After that, I'm all out of ideas. Maybe try a post on one of the engine forums.

Jim

jbarnes 03-05-2008 02:38 PM

Hey Jim, I have the sullivan glow driver. You do need to ground the black wire to the engine case to get the glow to light. Remember that if you have used any kind of rubber isolation you can not simply put the ground wire to the engine mount. If you push the button the small button you should get a green light regardless of throttle setting. If you are not getting that I'd say you have some kind of power issue or the driver itself is not operating properly. My led light will come on regardless of whether or not my glow plug is connected. Good Luck Jerry.

mobyal 03-05-2008 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah. I have the black wire grounded with one of the engine bolts. You can see it in this pic. The engine mount bolt goes through the tab (it's a crimp attachment; as I said in an earlier post, I had to replace the one supplied with the driver because nothing larger than a 4-40'd go through it) and the tab is between the engine mounting lug and the mount itself.
Don't know what the problem is. Guess when I get back in the shop Friday I'll check all the connections and if no luck I'll call Sullivan....
Don't have to worry about missing any flying 'cause the wind's blowing about 30 knota and supposed to keep up thru the weekend. Should make shooting sporting clays fun on Sunday! An excuse, anyway. LOL
Anyway thanks for your suggestions. When I get it solved I'll let you all know what works.
Al

mobyal 03-05-2008 08:52 PM

Just noticed. You can see the ground wire better in the photo w/ Post # 132.
Al

GaGeeBees 03-05-2008 09:02 PM

Maybe a silly question: Does reversing the servo do anything (other than make the servo go the wrong way)? Grasping at straws here.

Hope you get it figured out.

TooLow 03-05-2008 09:19 PM

Great plane--Im on my second one. In regards to the glow driver, do you have a "second battery" hooked up to glow driver?? Dont expect the unit to draw power by being pluged into the receiver. It needs its own power supply. I use one on my scale planes and power it with a 4.8v sub-C 3000ma pac. lasts a whole weekend of starts and taxiing. Good luckl:D

mobyal 03-05-2008 10:41 PM

Yep. All plugged into its own power source. New battery too. Throttle servo didn't need reversing. As I said, I'll double-check all the connections on Friday. maybe it'll work.

Jim T 03-05-2008 11:40 PM

Yep. All plugged into its own power source. New battery too. Throttle servo didn't need reversing. As I said, I'll double-check all the connections on Friday. maybe it'll work.
Well Al, It's sure starting to look like a faulty unit isn't it. [:o] I'll be anxious to hear what it turns out to be. I'm anxious for you to get this bad boy in the air and see what you think of it. It's been getting rave reviews so far.

Jim

GBR2 03-12-2008 04:23 PM

Is anyone mounting the cowl using anything other than the screws that Pacific supplies? Only asking because 4 small screw heads holding on a fiberglass cowl looks like the stress at these locations would be excessive resulting in breakage of the cowl.

TooLow 03-12-2008 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a short piece of fuel tubing-under 1/4" and used a servo screw. Slipped the tubing over the shaft of the screw and mounted the cowl in the 4 spots. So flight #100 has not shown any stress or cracks around the mounting holes!

Tisoy909 03-12-2008 05:30 PM

TooLow,
Looks really nice, what kind of motor are you running in that? I've been wanting to use an OS bgx in one what would you opinion be for it, as im still crossed between the Pacific GeeBee Y or the Clip Wing Monocoupe. Also, hows the flight characteristics with the smaller wingspan.
Thanks.
Louis