RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Great Planes Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6116736-new-great-planes-revolver.html)

Brainiax 09-18-2007 11:06 AM

RE: New Great Planes Revolver

mine's almost ready to go. i just have to run the antenna, install the fuel dot, set the throws and set the CG. this weekend should be the time for the first flight, can't wait. the OS 70 should perform great in that plane.[sm=biggrin.gif]

telejojo 09-18-2007 07:12 PM

Lost mine yesterday,got to close to the trees and too far away and just lost it.It is repairable but I think I will get another one and have the other for spare parts.I had a ST75 in it and it flw great and fast..............

HUNTERANDJEFF 09-19-2007 12:16 AM

Brainiax, Your plane will fly real nice on the 70, mine does. If you are a speed freak like I am you will want another engine. Now after about 10 flights I am really used to the flight performance and what it will really do or don't. Knife edge is ok it rolls a little and inverted flat spins aren't really flat but they work. Inverted flight is great and so are the snap rolls especially when you use all three surfaces at the same time !!!!! They are so blindingly fast that it just keeps on snapping untill it wants to quit. Usually 1 1/2 to 2 for every time that i just want to do one so I just snap it as far down the runway as I have altitude. Really cool!! With the 70, I go about 90 to 100mph but I am going to experiment with some different props as soon as I get a new nose cone (the bolt bent for some reason and threw off the balance) I do not have unlimited verticle with the prop I am using and so I will try to pitch down a bit for that and maybe the inverted flat spins will be better too. If I want to go faster I'll pitch up because the fourstroke has massive low end power. This plane is very versitile and fun!!!!!!!

telejojo, Real sorry to hear about your loss. Anytime a plane goes in I always feel bad and almost sick to my stomach. If you get a new one, are you going to put another 2c 75? That was impressive. As crazy as I get in the air especially when I am comfortable (no wind) It will not surprise me if I put my Revolver to a dirt nap within the year. I like to fly very low and fast - it looks cool.

Brainiax 09-19-2007 05:15 AM

If it performs as well as my Cap does with the same engine, I think I'll be happy. About the ailerons though, does anyone notice a slight warpage when you look straight down the edge of the aileron control surface? Also, mine is dead even on the wingtip side but the fuse side is up about 1/16. Anyone elase see a problem here? What about the servos, I'm using a Futaba 3010 for the elevator and regular s3004's for everything else. I figured the duel control might need some extra torque. Thanks. B-

russm 09-19-2007 09:08 AM

read the pev. pages and you will have your answers

Bernard 09-19-2007 09:23 AM

I am putting on the Alerion servos and I come to the part that has you attaching the control horns. I can't believe using a screw into hardened plywood is strong enough. Shouldn't you have a screw that goes through to the other side to make sure the control horn doesn't pull out? Is this sufficient to control the plane going full throttle?

ChuckW 09-19-2007 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Bernard

I am putting on the Alerion servos and I come to the part that has you attaching the control horns. I can't believe using a screw into hardened plywood is strong enough. Shouldn't you have a screw that goes through to the other side to make sure the control horn doesn't pull out? Is this sufficient to control the plane going full throttle?
Just make sure you harden the holes with CA and it will work fine. A few people have been stepping up to #4 scews for added insurance.

Bernard 09-19-2007 09:54 AM

sounds like the right upgrade.

Brainiax 09-19-2007 10:02 AM

I saw some issues with space between the wing and the fuse but nothing about aileron straightness. Maybe i just missed it.

StPeteFlyer 09-19-2007 10:22 AM

I have noticed some warping in the ailerons on my Revolver also, and they are equal on both sides. Im not really sure what kind of problems it will cause if any, im hoping its just some in flight trim. We will find out this weekend.:D

HUNTERANDJEFF 09-19-2007 10:39 AM

My ailerons are warped also. On the first flight, I was worried about this on takeoff not knowing what the plane was going to do and it just lifted off and only 1 -2 clicks of trim were needed for straight and level flight. I was flying the other day and when I was in the air a nasty cross wind developed I made three attempts to land and on the third I gently touched down crabbing the plane to the right. I was going slow. the right wheel caught the grass and bent the right gear way back at the bolt holes. On the center hole, a crack developed that goes in between the two holes that mount the gear on and pulled the blind nut right through about 1/2 way. No damage to the frame but it is going to be a tedious fix because of all of the decks inside to get to the blind nut that was pulled out.

I don't know if the gear is weak - it doesn't seem to be but make sure that you land her straight !!!

I'm one of those guys that put #4 screws in all of my greatplanes arfs. I do not feel that the #2 screws supplied are strong enough for what we put them through. Great Planes also recomends puting these tiny screws in their Seawind to hold the horns on !!!! No way was I going to risk that expensive bird on a couple of 2 cent screws. Someone else in this thread upgraded to 4 screws instead of two to get the job done.

scosby 09-19-2007 11:29 AM

I saw 150Flyer at the field where I fly on Sunday and was so impressed that I went to my LHS and picked up a Revolver and 55AX yesterday.I can't wait to get this one put together.Another friend has a Saito .72 on his Revolver,and it flys real nice with a 14X6 but
the 55AX is faster and it isn't broken in yet.

Steve

Brainiax 09-19-2007 01:24 PM

Guy's, another general build tip is the use of a better control horn. I read previously about concerns where the hardware provided wasn't beefy enough. Here's what I use on ALL my models: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXEMF9 they're easy to install and have a positive attachment method. It saves a lot of time and aggravation too not having to line up those 3 holes that never seem to want to.

Brainiax 09-19-2007 03:53 PM

some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S2010004-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S2010001-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S2010003-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S2010002-1.jpg

150flyer 09-19-2007 04:04 PM

A solid way to install a control horn on this type of construction is as follows:

Mark the spot where the control horn will go.

Drill the holes for the mounting screws.

Take an exacto blade and poke 20 to 30 tiny holes through the covering into the wood where the horn will mount.

A few drops of thin CA on this spot will penitrate the small holes into the wood and harden the entire area.

Also place a drop of thin CA into each of the mounting screw holes and let harden.

Mount the control horn in place but before it is tightened completely to the surface, wick a little more CA between the horn and the covering.

Finally, tighten the horn.

By using this method, this horn is not only held in place by just the mounting screws, but is also glued to the control surface.

chris8105 09-19-2007 04:31 PM

Anyone had any problems with the hardware that came with the plane?

sevans16 09-19-2007 06:42 PM

I have the GP Reactor which is about the same size and same hardware. I have never had a problem with the Horns. In my own paranoia, I have however replaced the supplied plastic clevises with metal clevises. I have see the little nipple thing break off clevises on aging models.

150flyer 09-19-2007 06:49 PM

I also like using a "Z" Bend at the servo rather than the 90 degree bend and the plastic retainer. The "Z" Bend is fool-proof.

chris8105 09-20-2007 01:59 PM

I have my radio setup now for flaperons. Ailerons 30% down and elevator 5% up. I am a little nervous about landing this plane. I havent flown anything since early spring. I have flown fast planes in the past, Minnow, Lil Toni, Shoestring, Extras. Hopefully on the maiden flight after a couple landing attempts and touch and goes it will all come back to me.

russm 09-20-2007 04:52 PM

it lands very similer to the toni. do your flybys first.

Brainiax 09-20-2007 05:10 PM

Damn, I just set the throws in accordance with the manual. Only 1/4" on low rates for the ailerons and only 1/2" on the elevator on high. Seems a bit miniscule to me but I haven't flown it yet. Any reports from the more experienced Revolver fliers who set them according to the manual? Sure would like a brief report on the findings. Thanks in advance. B-

ChuckW 09-20-2007 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

Damn, I just set the throws in accordance with the manual. Only 1/4" on low rates for the ailerons and only 1/2" on the elevator on high. Seems a bit miniscule to me but I haven't flown it yet. Any reports from the more experienced Revolver fliers who set them according to the manual? Sure would like a brief report on the findings. Thanks in advance. B-
Mine is set up according to the manual and it flys just fine.

150flyer 09-20-2007 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have mine set up at max throw on high rates and at the recommended throws as low rates. The high rate role rate is tremendous! This plane is a knife edging fool.

ChuckW 09-20-2007 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 150flyer
This plane is a knife edging fool.
Is it ever. I've never had a plane that would do such an impressive knife edge, so easily.

150flyer 09-20-2007 10:03 PM

The only plane I own that does a better knife edge is the Great Planes Super Skybolt.