RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

norm 11-06-2007 05:30 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello KenVC

This is the Saito 82 installation. the next 6 postings will do with that, my camera takes pictures with very high res. The last two pictures are a simulation of the engine on a test stand recreating the tank height and the pressure pumps. Burned 8 Tanks each engines after 4 tanks break in. Not a glitch! engine revs< up to 11500 Rpm and 4-500 rpm rich with a Master airscrew 12 X 6 3 blade. Will increase the pitch to 12 X 8. You must set up the proper pump pressure and use a bypass 1 inch before the carb back to the tank for over pressure or you will flood the engines. This is a perfect set up. Both engines idled for a full tank @ 2500-2800 rpm without a glow driver and without quiting or giving any signs of whanting to quit! In Montreal the temp was 3 degree during this test. I have leaned the low needle valve by 3/4 turn and still rich and spitting.
I strongly suggest that you run your engines out of the plane on a simple test bench like I did because this is my 2nd test. The first one was last sunday pm and was disastrous...engine flooding and all the gremelins possible. Do not forget, like the guy says at Conley precision, the makers of the VP30 fuel pump...twins = 4 x the problems + cylinder positioned @ 6 O'Clock = 8 times the problems. After a whole morning on those engines I trust them both.

norm 11-06-2007 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
next saito 82 instal

norm 11-06-2007 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
next saito 82 install

norm 11-06-2007 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last saito 82 install

norm 11-06-2007 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saito 82 on test stand to recreate installation in plane

norm 11-06-2007 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up for tubing set-up on test stand

norm 11-06-2007 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now for the turret and the Pilot canopy, I bought those at the textile store (got the idea with my wife don't ask when) to fit the turret and the Canopy for easy removal

norm 11-06-2007 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And it works when you glue them to the turret, you sink in the woogd the female part even with the fuselage and you glue the male part on the canopy & turret se for yourself...and they come off easy and are solid when snapped. The guns are also snapped, I glues a piece of scrap plywood vetween the two mounting bracket and glued the ply there, paint in black and glued 3 snaps. Very solid and will come off if you need to reverse the aircraft on the stans without having to think...

norm 11-06-2007 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is how you glue the male end to the canopy / turret plastic using mediunm ca. DO NOT FORGET TO PUT VASELINE (PETROLIUM GEL) IN THE HOLES OF THE FEMALE PART BEFORE GLUING TO THE FUSE) if you look in there there is two microscopin springs and they may freeze with the glue.

timothy thompson 11-06-2007 06:21 PM

where is your oil outlet nipple going . that just drains oil hope thats how you have it set up . ive seen guys hook that line back to the fuel line and you would get more oil in your fuel going to the carb, i have 4 80s they run great

norm 11-06-2007 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah you're right I'll post this pic also. The tank vent and the oil sump drain is on the side. I glued this with plastic wire cramps to have the hoses stay there. Needless to say when I ran those engines on sunday, I had to "wash the dishes" for an hour! But it is well worth and those engines scream!!!

In a saito if you use this set-up for a pump you must vent the crankcase or you will bust the front bearing seal + the valve guide seals, I've seen one guy forget a plug on this vent before flying...pain ii the !@% when you have to fix all that...

timothy thompson 11-06-2007 08:55 PM

really neat job.

krproton 11-06-2007 09:30 PM

normand,

Whew! Looks like you have a lot of systems and craziness going on with your B-25 there--lots of wires, tubing, cables, clamps, etc. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] But I also have to compliment you, and others alike, on your resourcefulness and creativity! Snaps, petroleum jelly, inverted test stand, etc. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] Thanks for sharing your ideas and enthusiasm. It can't be any warmer up there in Canada then it is down here in Illinois. I'll keep looking for your posts and I'm sure you'll let us know how your maiden goes.

Thanks a lot and good luck! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Tim

camdyson 11-06-2007 09:35 PM

Norm,

I may have missed the explanation - are you running pumps so you can have open exhausts (with no muffler pressure)? I cosidered this on mine, but have never had a cut on my inverted OS70 in another model, so am reluctant to alter my "normal" setup.

Regarding the press-studs, I've found rare-earth magnets in flat discs about 4mm diameter are even better (had trouble getting the studs to adhere to the models well enough). Buy them from a magnet shop (no, really!) by the 100. Magnet shops are fun, especially when the lady behind the counter got her sleeve trapped under one and I had to "rescue" her!:eek:

My B25 has arrived in Oz, so hope to join in the fun soon. Nice work so far guys - keen to see how your bomb bay door actuators work Tim.

Cam

norm 11-06-2007 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I'm running my engines on pumps so I can have "straight Pipes". An OS70 sounds crazy with a pump & straight pipe. Do not forget to cut the pipe @ 45 degree...the prop beats the exhaust and for some reason the OS70 has its own particular sound. I have mounted one on a small H9 PTS mustang and each times it attracts curious members asking "What is this!". My twin Saito has to be straight pipes otherwise they sound like water pumps. Enjoy your build, this is really the greatest kit I"ve put together and for evreyone who've I announced a maiden last week, well now it will be this week-end if all is well! I just found the perfect balance. See the picture below

Not yet done still have to put on the stickers. Maybe I should recheck the weight & balance after.

Go straight pipe if you can , the full scale was in different versions, loud and obnoxious

KenVC 11-06-2007 11:43 PM

Normand

Thanks so much for the info and pictures. I noticed the on-board glow and received mine today in anticipation of the B25 arrival. Apparently there is enough room to install the wire without getting too close to the servo wires?

norm 11-06-2007 11:57 PM

Glow Drivers Go 2 x MCD466!

There is plenty room but you need 40 inch wire to reach each engine from the MCD472TE. Also I hope you don't intend to fly this baby on "PPM" because of all the wires you should go SPCM / 2.4G (spektrum). Your glow driver wires will not affect your radio omn SPCM / 2.4G.

Thinking of it it would have been better to install the glow driver directly in the nacelles using two MCD466 instead of all this wire. for anyone who intend to do this consider t2 x glow MCD466, they come with the 5000mah buit in the box and very light weight vs the MCD472TE that requires an external 4.8V battery + 2 x 40 inch wire. The MCD466 comes with the charger and is a "ready to fly", easyer, better only a few bucks more +/- 40$. I should have done that.

alans 11-07-2007 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to fit a Twinsync unit to this B25, it worked so well on the Cessna 310. Not sure where I am going to mount the main PCB board yet, but have just fitted the on board glow driver and battery which is an option with the Twinsync.

flaviosi 11-07-2007 08:17 AM

I am going to fit a Twinsync unit to this B25
Hi, Alans!

What exactly is a Twinsync?

Flavio

kochj 11-07-2007 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: flaviosi

I am going to fit a Twinsync unit to this B25
Hi, Alans!

What exactly is a Twinsync?

Flavio
Here is the link
ZDZ engine website, RCS engines

http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/acces.../twinsync.html

danrc2 11-07-2007 03:18 PM

hey guys,
i was wondering if anyone else is have a problem getting the cowel off and on with the screw set up. i seem to be having a hell of a time trying to get the screws in to hold the cowel on. i cut the nacelle a little, i have a ball end hex and still i am having a hard time with it. anyone have any tips here????

thanks
dan

pettit 11-07-2007 03:22 PM

Here's what I did. Put the 4-40 bolts, lock washer and flat washer, through each hole.

Now they all fall out, right?

Not if you add a 1/16" section of good old silicone fuel tubing over the part of the bolt that's sticking through the plywood.

It keeps the bolt in place so you can align it with the blind nut, and once you tighten the bolt, you have a small amount of shock absorber action.

mike-rc 11-07-2007 03:36 PM

Hello Dan,
Try holding the screw in place with a pair of angled tweezers with one hand and use the ball hex driver with the other.
I got my tail together. No problems there, very well designed. I am installing the nose gear now, I hope that front lever will not be a problem. I found that the cables for the nose wheel steering were to big for the supplied hardware, but I had other parts laying around I could use.
My kit had 2 sets of decals. I know one set was supposed to have clear instrument dials, but mine are both white. I guess I got 2 original decal sheets. I will just have 2 use an x-acto knife and cut out the dials then put on some clear tape.
The design, fit and quality of the instructions are fantastic on this kit!
Tim (krproton), What else is Top-Flite working on? I would love to know what they plan to release in the future.
Tim (Thompson), Are you going to fly that plane or put it in a mueseum?
Mike

danrc2 11-07-2007 03:41 PM

on the screws, yes the fall out and the biggest problem is cross threading. i cant get them lined up right.

norm 11-07-2007 03:45 PM

M. Petit

Good trick I'm actually right there fighting with the 3/32 ball-hex...There is an expression in french " On ne montre pas a un vieux singe comment faire la grimace!" ;the word for word translation is "we do not show an old monkee how to make faces". The actual meaning is "wisdom is only acquired with experience".

Such an easy solution... for a complicated problem. I was rethinking of how to change that set-up!

Thanks you for the tip.

My wife is a "Petit", we are from Montreal, snow pellets here right now!!! Looking good for this week end, I still have to put on the stickers after I'm done with the cowl.