RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

krproton 11-16-2007 04:02 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

We just made up a new Tech Notice for the Top Flite B-25 ARF. It hasn't been posted on the B-25 page on the Top Flite web site yet, so I just took a photo of it so I could get it posted here right away. It addresses a few things most of you may know already. There's also a template for large or medium pressure tank mounts if you don't want to use the small one. If you want to use the templates, hold off until the notice is posted on the Top Flite site. Get the templates from there because the ones posted here are from a photo and may be distorted. The notice should be posted on the Top Flite site Monday.

Tim

Hellcat716 11-16-2007 04:31 PM

I am hearing two different measurments for the distance from the firewall to the back of the prop hub. Is it 5" as the manual says or 4 3/4" as stated from another individual?

krproton 11-16-2007 04:45 PM

Hi Hellcat.

There have been no problems with the 5" diimension as stated in the manual, but I did hear one guy who felt there was too much space between the aft end of the cowls and the fiberglass nacelles--it just didn't look right. If you felt the same, and depending on what engines you are using (if there is room between the back of the engines and the mounts--which I don't think there will be if using O.S. .70 Surpasses), just thinking out loud (having not actually tried it), I suppose you could mount your engines back a "smidge" (1/4"?). This would achieve the goal of decreasing the gap between the back of the cowl and the nacelle because the cowls would now need to be mounted farther aft. Still thinking out loud, this may cause the cowls to fit slightly tighter on the cowl rings (but I don't think it will be much of a problem) and may also cause you to have to remove slightly more material from the back of the top of the cowl to clear the carb intake on the top of the wings.

timothy thompson 11-16-2007 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HERES MORE PICS. 9 lbs so far rx batt and rx in elev and rudd functional

flaviosi 11-16-2007 08:18 PM

Tim,

I thought there would be a long time before I had the B25 in my hands and I started building my TF Staggerwing. What a Kit!!! Beautiful in all the details, superb construction!

I wonder if you also have something to do with its project. If so, congratulations!!

Flavio

arfdog 11-16-2007 09:27 PM

Thanks for the input Norm. I'll be using the radial mount and building up the firewall to full 4 " circle. If I readn my maual correctly, I'll be right at 5" to the prop hub. (I have a 35 GT2 already and the two 26 GT2's on order) I'm thinking 14 x 9 3-blade props with sport mufflers. Really not looking for more power just not a glo flyer anymore.

timothy thompson 11-16-2007 11:10 PM

the staggerwing is great dont overpower flys nice on a g-23

flaviosi 11-17-2007 08:32 AM

Hi, Tim

the staggerwing is great dont overpower flys nice on a g-23
I have a Fuji 32 EI and I think it will fit perfect in the cowl...

Flavio

flycast 11-17-2007 10:08 AM

Hi Flavio,
I got my Stagger this week and like you waiting for the B25 due next week. Using OS 160 with Robart retracts & tailwheel would have liked the OS Gemini but I heard it's a little under powered compared to the 2 stroke I'm like many prefer to go with the test flight & manual recommendations, but a "gasser" should be great.
I suppose you've read the threads on the Stagger in RCU they had a lot of trouble with the wings not lining up due to misalignment dowel holes. This as been rectified by the factory on the later kits and the first thing I did was check and you could see where they had re-plugged and re-drilled.
Sorry B25 guys just thought I would pop that in for Flavio.
Ray

arfdog 11-17-2007 11:11 AM

My Staggerwing's powered by a Brison 40 and in no way is it overpowered. I use Brison 40's on all my planes in the 13# and up range. (6 each)

timothy thompson 11-17-2007 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics

danrc2 11-17-2007 06:09 PM

hey tim,
could you give a better idea on how i can either make the 50 caliber bullets or where to get them?

thanks dan

mobyal 11-17-2007 06:49 PM

Tim --
You are a real craftsman. And fast w/ it too. I could fumble around for weeks and not have anyhting that comes anywhere to looking as good as what you do.

timothy thompson 11-17-2007 06:51 PM

turn them from brass on a lathe. Or tamya sells tank shells you may modify. it took 3 days to make them and then painting the tips as the slug was lead coated metal and had a duller color. ive been asked to produce cockpit kits and bombay for this model but everything i have is scratch built i didnt use anyones stuff just make what i need

timothy thompson 11-17-2007 06:52 PM

well im off work on leave so i can work all day . Thanks for the compliment. if you look at the lt cockpit wall you will see an ad for berkley aircraft it came out of a 1942 magazine. I had to have something of that era in there

CaptainHook 11-17-2007 09:45 PM

Tim, will this take the O.S. .91 Surpass? The .70 surpass is discontinued at Tower and I don't have a good feeling about the replacement. The Saito .82 is my 2nd choice but the price is elevated over the .70 I was hoping to spend. What is the diameter of the cowls if you don't mind me asking.

flaviosi 11-17-2007 10:04 PM

Ray,

I suppose you've read the threads on the Stagger in RCU they had a lot of trouble with the wings not lining up due to misalignment dowel holes.
Mine were a little tight but fit ok... :) She's a beauty, isn't she?

Flavio

p39 11-17-2007 10:30 PM

I was surprised to see that the 70 Surpass is not available at Tower... everyone must have been buying them two at a time. Try Chief aircraft.....

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...ke.html#fs70ii

flycast 11-18-2007 03:24 AM

Flavio,
She is that, what are going to do when your B25 comes? Mine will be here tommorw (Monday 19th.) after reading all the valuable posts I'm licking my lips in anticipation.
My thanks to all who have contributed to the build on the B25.
Ray

camdyson 11-18-2007 03:34 AM

ORIGINAL: p39

I was surprised to see that the 70 Surpass is not available at Tower... everyone must have been buying them two at a time. Try Chief aircraft.....

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...ke.html#fs70ii
guilty - got my 2.:D

norm 11-18-2007 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Captain Hook,

Go to post # 11 page 1 of this thread, maybe that will answer your questions about powering this B-25. I am using Saito 82'sGK for power and looks.

danrc2 11-18-2007 08:31 AM

well we are getting our first 2-4" of snow today here in east central PA. its snowing really hard out now. maybe someone will make a set of skis for the 25. jk :) looks good. love the snow!!!

i will have my on board glow driver tomorrow. i order the sullivan twin. never used this model before. i did use the RAM one and that work great. i will let everyone know how it works.

dan

flaviosi 11-18-2007 05:19 PM

Ray,

She is that, what are going to do when your B25 comes? Mine will be here tommorw (Monday 19th.)
Actually, my B25 is already here.. The most expensive in the world... (read the previous posts)... :)

I'll finish the Staggerwing and probably will start the Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 with a DA50. B25 will wait a little longer, because the guy that will setup the electric motors and sound system on the B25 can't do it till next year...

Flavio

timothy thompson 11-18-2007 06:06 PM

flav you can do it yourself thats how you learn

norm 11-18-2007 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
B-25 3rd, 4th & 5th flight.

Well today was another good flying day all in all but beware of two things.

1st- The servo hatch in the wings needs to be reglued and put a foam 2 sided tape between the servo and the hatch for security. One aileron servo hatch came apart (the little blocks came off) leaving me with only one aileron. The Plane was still controllable and behaves very very heavy!!!
2nd The noze gear. If you fly on a grass runway with little bumps, the front landing gear will not tough it out. From 5 take off and 4 landings the thing was ok. The last landing was soft but the axle pin pn#TFB25012M # 26 0n the diagram did not make it and broke clean on the landing roll. I will look into 7/16th stuff from robart for something that do not use a small pin but connect to the 7/16th strut. The 3/16th pin is too weak for a 20 lbs plane
I was very lucky, it broke clean and flew out the wheel well and caused a small puncture under the fuselage. and only one "special spring hinge" home made Top Flite thing broke. I will try and figure something out for this.

All in all this was a great day flying the B-25. The temperature was -6C (23F) north of montreal today. I guess the PA guys got the snow, we were north of that low that brought the snow to the PA guys. The frozen runway made the earth and the grass freeze contributing to a bumpy runway. You know when you're walking you hear "scrooutch scrooutch" under your feet. For the ones who do not know, when the water freeze it takes a 10-12% expansion in the moist earth and grass roots...yeah it is the reality around here. Enjoy the beautiful picture taken on the 4th fligtht.