RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

sgoen 12-04-2007 07:34 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Thanks for the help. I will work on the engines again next week on my days off. We have a winter storm watch out for tonight and Wed. 3-5 in of snow. I have been jumping around in the manual to keep things moving. Waiting for the scale tire and brake to come in from robart.

timothy thompson 12-04-2007 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics. in pic one you see a open area. that is where the gunners comp. is. i cant get it in if i glue the rt seat in . so i must make it removable. i may use magnets under the cockpit floor. in the second pic look at the map holder the magazine you see is cut out of actual 1942 copy of air classics magazine. i have a bit of 42 in her. its from the ad sections where they adv. mags you could get so it was small. It was an ad for berkley models

timothy thompson 12-04-2007 11:08 PM

the kits glass is terrible. wing mfg's kit had clear glass. the nose is ok but i may have to scratch the cockpit cover. thats my only complaint

fytrjok 12-05-2007 01:06 AM

I'll second the "glass" critique...it's also VERY fragile and brittle. My nose canopy slipped off as I was getting ready to install it and hit the floor from about three feet...multiple cracks and breaks[:@]. I hate when that happens! Any ideas on where or when I can get a replacement?

Doug

sgoen 12-05-2007 06:00 AM

I was just wondering, what is everyone driving their B-25 with. I am useing a Futaba 14 MZ with a smart fly power expander

norm 12-05-2007 06:11 AM

Last news were the replacements were due for the end of November, and that was back at the end of October. Now Tower is expecting replacement parts for end of December. The noze canopy is a problem, I also have dropped it on the floor...from 12 inch high and is as fragile as an egg. I hope Top Flite will request from their supplier to increase the thickness of the future canopy or at least replacement parts. I guess we should all report Top Flite this problem with an e-mail to product support, to me this is the only bugger with this kit. I have personally 2 in order to make a spare.

timothy thompson 12-05-2007 11:33 AM

why cant they use clear plastic. its just terrible and the frames are not scale. ill scratch one . the wing kit is smaller so it wont fit. wonder about the zirolis. i know krproton will say well its an arf and the basic person wont care well i have an idea. how about tf having an ability to customise the kits. say i want scale wheels or scale glass id pay more but it would be included. building your own glass isnt hard if you know how to build the frame

im using specktrum 2.4

flyingchef 12-05-2007 04:16 PM

Well, if this might be of any interest to anyone, I will have a plug and will vaccum form my own canopy. The part won't have any frame molded into it also it will be made of a thicker lexan sheet, I plan to have some done in about a month and the top turret will get the same treatment. If you need a stock canopy I will sell the stock one, including the nose and top turret section, from my kit since I don't plan to use them.
Bruno

timothy thompson 12-05-2007 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pics of my removable seat

norm 12-05-2007 06:49 PM

Hello Bruno,

consider it sold, I'll buy both, I sent you a private e-mail

Thanx

Normand

mike-rc 12-06-2007 09:46 AM

I ran out of aluminum levers and was still getting requests for them so I have made another run. If anyone needs them paypal $10.00 to [email protected].
My B-25 is just about done. Except for my electric power and removable canopy I made it without any other modifications. Now I have to wait for spring to get to fly it. Now I still need to build a KMP Fw-190, GP Minnow, and Pacific Aeromodel Clipped wing Monocoupe. That should keep me busy until about April.

mobyal 12-06-2007 09:59 AM

Jeez, Mike --
We're about on the same schedule w/ the same "stuff".
I just finished RC Guys Super Decathelon; have to wait to fly it.
Tomorrow will start Pacific Aeromodels Clipped Wing 'Coupe. That shouldn't take too long and should be done by new Years. KMP FW190 w/ Sierra retracts sits waiting and will follow the "Coupe. And I have thr H9 B25 coming. Have everything for it but the airplane! LOL
Gonna be a great winter and a helluva spring...

mike-rc 12-06-2007 10:14 AM

MobyAl,
I also have the Sierra retracts for the Fw-190. I got the tailwheel, and then Darrell talked me into the mains. I don't know what to do with the stock gear, but I didnt want them to break off on my first landing and the plane get damaged. I don't want to waste the B-25 guys time with this so I will post something on the FW-190 thread.
Mike

jiannliang 12-06-2007 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

Finally got my YS 63 mounted today. Spent about six hours getting everything set up. Have to paint the dummy radial now and will then be able to show the completed engine with cowl installed. What a great ARF. As mentioned before, one of the best ARF's I have ever had the chance to put together. Way to go,Top-Flite.
How's your YS63 fit in the cowl? Can you post more pictures about this YS63 cowl installation since I am going to using the same engines. I am going to use the straight pipe setting and swing MS 12x6 props to keep the scale look. Hope to see your progress and how the cowl cut out.

Hellcat716 12-06-2007 07:50 PM

The fit is perfect. You can use the supplied engine mount and template for the firewall installation if you want to install the engine in the stock position. I should have some pictures by the weekend. I think you will be very happy with this setup. I am very pleased with the installation. No problems at all. I am using a different muffler so I can get it to fit in the nacell where the OS muffler would go.

sgoen 12-07-2007 06:17 AM

Mike-RC
Do you still have any levers left. I cycled my gears today and both levers broke. I need two.

mike-rc 12-07-2007 07:31 AM

Yes, I have made a new batch of levers. They are going fast, I sold 4 sets yesterday. If anyone wants to see pictures of the levers they are on pg 10,12.
Mike

sgoen 12-07-2007 10:07 AM

Mike-RC
If you could hold 2 of them for me I will send the money when I get home from work today. Thanks

Hellcat716 12-07-2007 08:55 PM

Can anyone help me out with the nose gear door lever? It seems in order to install it, I need to remove some of the thin plywood fuselage structure just above the block where the screw mounts so the lever can move. I do not see in the manual where it says to remove part of the structure. I am on page 29 step 3. Thanks.

sgoen 12-07-2007 09:30 PM

Hellcat716
I had the same problem, but on the inside peice of plywood there were two pencil marks. I cut the wood out at those pencil marks and the door lever worked fine. I could not find anything in the manual about that but the pic in the manual made it look like the wood had to be cut out.

Hellcat716 12-07-2007 09:37 PM

I had seen those marks also, but wanted to ask before I made the cut. Thanks. I believe that is the only way the lever will work.

krproton 12-07-2007 09:49 PM

Hey guys,

I heard about this recently from somebody else who is writing another review on the B-25. I figured most guys will figure it out on their own, but that doesn't mean it's not a hassle in the mean time before they figure it out. This doesn't help you, but I'll have a note about this added to our Tech Notice on the B-25 page on the Top Flite web site so hopefully this won't confuse others.

Thanks.

Sorry.

Tim

Hellcat716 12-08-2007 02:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of the cowl mounted with a YS 63.

jiannliang 12-08-2007 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

Here are a few pictures of the cowl mounted with a YS 63.
This is exactly what I want to see, a clean installation without cutting too much of the cowl. What are the spinner nuts you are using? It look like true turn spinners. And what size of prop with how many RPM you can get from that YS63.

europatc74 12-08-2007 05:44 PM

Would like to hear from those that have completed and flown their 25's. How was the initial flight? What engines and props used? Any surprises? CG settings? etc...