RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

timothy thompson 12-18-2007 06:30 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

on a 25 you do not need contrarotating props

beat098 12-18-2007 06:56 PM

what 3 blade props are you using?

beat098 12-18-2007 06:57 PM

what 3 blade props are you usingon the sa 82

norm 12-18-2007 07:30 PM

Hello beat098,

I am using the 12 x 8 3 blade MAS. It spins @ 9900 + rpm ( engines are new; lean + 2/3 turn) It pulls this plane 22.5 lbs like a feather

timothy thompson 12-18-2007 07:42 PM

225lbs man im only at 19 with everything but outer wing panels. Remeber in pearl harbor they were going to make the fat ladies skinney well norman, greg hahn, and myself like them chubbby! LOL
im just messing with you. first flights will be with 14 8s and i ordered 16x10s. Ill have to cut them down to 15s as a 16 gives you no ground clearance upon oleo compression

diverdon 12-19-2007 12:59 AM

Norm,

I just ordered a Gyro for mine.

Could you go into more detail on how you set it up and what controls the cut off after takeoff.

Thanks,

Don

norm 12-19-2007 06:04 AM

Diverdon,

You must make a "platform" to sit the gyro on @ the CG location +/- 5.5 inch from the leading edge location and in line with the centerline of the fuselage ( roll axis) this is the "floating center of the aircraft. Glue a across sitting on the stringer inside the fuselage (approx 6inch x 1.5 inch) Make certain you use the foam 2 sided tape to stick your gyro the plank. Prepare the surface of the plank with epoxy painted on the wood so you have a sticking surface.

The set up is simple. The gyro connects into the rudder output of your receiver. You then connect your noze gear & rudder into the gyro input. You may have to reverse the gyro and adjust it slightly depending on the brand you use. I used the JR "G500A" and it is a "plug & play". The rudder must turn into the "powered" engine to control the Yaw caused by an engine loss.. test it on the table by turning the plane. The rudder and gear will turn against your turn and if nor reverse the switch on the gyro. The gyro action must be against the turn action you make.

You also have a single gain connector that you must use to override the gyro. I cconnected it in the aux2 of the X9303 The gain adjustment is also simple you give 100% at position 0 to allow the gyro full control on the rudder (unless you use the rudder stick, this overrides the gyro gradually)
then on the second position (1) you give it 0% assist and you use the full rudder control "manual". The gain may be adjusted to 80% of gyro assist at all time and is more desirable.

You will also find the plane needs rudder in addition of the ailerons to turn in a coordinated manner. A mix of 20% rudder into the ailerons makes nice coordinated turns. This is the best set up. You leave the gyro assist at all time and you mix rudder into your ailerons and you always have the gyro guard and you do not have adverse yaw when you turn.

The hard part here is to install your plank level and centered with the CG and the centerline (longitudinal axis "roll axis" )

Read the instructions of your gyro so you understand it.

let me know how it went and do not hesitate to ask more info

diverdon 12-19-2007 06:11 AM

Norm,
Many thanks for such a complete answer.
I have the Gyro on the way so we shall see when it gets here.

Thanks again,
Don

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 08:52 AM

go leccy no gyro needed:D:D im working on getting all the turret and cockpit details done . maybe i can start to fit the cockpit canopy.

MAKE SURE YOUR GYRO ISNT REVERSED THAT THE MOST IMPT STEP

diverdon 12-19-2007 12:47 PM

Mike,
Received the LG cams today.

They look great. Many thanks,

Don

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 01:08 PM

all these details are getting to me! bomb bay and bombadier is done. Trouble is everything in the cockpit has to be remeoveable due to the rear floor (where the turret is) has to be removable. Im using large rare earth magnets and all is ok just very time consuming.
I probably wont get the glass on today as parts need to be painted and it has to dry. Due to electric power vibration is low so everything should stay in ok

europatc74 12-19-2007 01:17 PM

Finally into the build and came across something regarding the Robart Treaded tires I opted for. Seems there are foam inserts available should the wheels be too soft for the weight of the plane. 4" in back 2 3/4" front. (grass runway) Wondering if anyone had issues with the Robart tires being too soft. Also It seems a standard wheel collar is too thick to use on the front wheel as the spoked wheel cap will not snap on. I do not see where I can get thinner collars in a 3/16" size so guess I'll need to grind one to size. Anyone else run into this problem?

Hellcat716 12-19-2007 01:58 PM

Wheel collars are not needed. Use the set screw on the bottom of the gear to secure the axel. I am using the foam inserts on the four inch main wheels. The plane is to heavy to go without in my opinion. I have had wheels come off the rim before on planes that weigh this much. I fly on a paved surface. I do not know about grass surface.

krproton 12-19-2007 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: europatc74

Finally into the build and came across something regarding the Robart Treaded tires I opted for. Seems there are foam inserts available should the wheels be too soft for the weight of the plane. 4" in back 2 3/4" front. (grass runway) Wondering if anyone had issues with the Robart tires being too soft. Also It seems a standard wheel collar is too thick to use on the front wheel as the spoked wheel cap will not snap on. I do not see where I can get thinner collars in a 3/16" size so guess I'll need to grind one to size. Anyone else run into this problem?
Hi europatc74.

You don't need wheel collars on the wheels (for the Robart retracts). The peened "head" of the axles go through the wheel and into the strut. The set screw in the strut holds the axle into position. The head of the axle holds on the wheel.

I've been flying my B-25 without the foam wheel inserts. The runway at my local site is paved, but frequently I run off the end of the runway into the grass. Also, I flew a few times from a nice grass field too. I haven't weighed my B-25 yet, but it's stock, so I estimate it must weigh around 19 lbs. I haven't had any problems with the wheels, thought it does seem like the tread is wearing a little faster than I might expect.

I'm not saying not to use the inserts, just saying, for me, I don't really see the need for them. But if you think, for some reason, your B-25 might come out a little heavy, I guess you could give them a try.

Tim

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 04:35 PM

hey everyone i found a way to scale up the kit wheels ill post in a few days. I got a radio bargain and i feel real bad. I guy bought a 12 channel futaba computer set its 6 years old and he passed away and his wife put it in the attic. She brought it to the LHS and told the owner to sell it for 100.00 Im getting it tommorow yes it all works ill put new batts in tx and rx it will be for the h-9 b-25. I told her its worth a lot more and she said crying he wanted it to go to someone who loved the hobby like him:(

got the sequencing doors working wish i could show you the vid. Just 4 bellcranks brasstube and tw0 servos.
i weighed mine on a good scale and am at 17.3 lbs. without the outer wing panels and lipos. ready to fly she will be 20-21 lbs it will fly great. all the cockpit detailing is starting to drive me nuts plus the button rivets! i will take a break and work on my corsair for a while if I get boared

krproton 12-19-2007 04:55 PM

Ah, Timothy,

how is it that you call working on another model "taking a break" from the model you are working on now?

Taking a break for me is watching TV with my wife or riding my motorcycle! [sm=50_50.gif]

Well, anyway, keep up the good work! :)

Tim

europatc74 12-19-2007 04:56 PM

I see what you mean about reversing the axle to eliminate the need for a collar. I now have that option although I have already ground a collar which has worked out fine. The cap now fits. Thanks.

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 06:23 PM

because airplanes are my life. next to my family! I work to feed and take care of them then airplanes. We dont go anywhere my wife is disabled so I can afford this hobby. I dont own snowmobiles 4 wheelers and just an airplane van. I dont mean to make it sound im glad shes disabled im not. Id trade all of it for her to be healthy!!! But ive got to stay sane . Every plane I build is like a history lesson. You learn about construction. Did you know a p-47s wing was held on by 4 pins on each side and that is all!

is my lady decal on its way

sgoen 12-19-2007 06:37 PM

what do you do about the lady decal, the color is so light that it fades onto the colors of the plane, or is that the way it should be? I thought it owuld be brighter.

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 06:56 PM

tim said they sent the wrong decal sheet with no white background hes sending me a new decal. it looks faded doesnt it

diverdon 12-19-2007 11:00 PM

I call TF about the decal and they are sending me a new set also.

I also ordered the set from Horizon for the Hanger-9 25 "Mitch The Witch".

Don

timothy thompson 12-19-2007 11:09 PM

i got a new set and still no girl pm krproton hell make sure you get what you want

diverdon 12-19-2007 11:14 PM

Thanks Tim. I'll give him a scream.

Don

Hellcat716 12-19-2007 11:45 PM

You make it sound like the electric motors will never fail. You will have a very rude awakening someday. Nothing is 100% guranteed not to fail. I have seen twin electrics go down just like planes with nitro engines. At least the nitro engines have a great sound to them. This plane just isn't right flying quiet. Were they quiet in the war?

gjmjoe017 12-19-2007 11:48 PM

They were times when they probably wish the heck they had quite engines!!!!