RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

flaviosi 10-26-2007 08:30 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Ken,

Thank you for the tip.

There it goes.

Flávio

timothy thompson 10-26-2007 08:50 PM

hey i see the spiders on the runway! what a beautiful site. thanks for the citting tip i think a razor saw will work. your right if i miss with the dremel there goes the whole plane. the hine line is low so cutting out the bays wont hurt structural intergrity at all.

flaviosi 10-26-2007 09:12 PM

Timothy!

hey i see the spiders on the runway! what a beautiful site.
Hehehe. Thanks.

The pics are too large, though... It's not showing here on thumbnails...

Flavio

krproton 10-26-2007 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

hey i see the spiders on the runway! what a beautiful site. thanks for the citting tip i think a razor saw will work. your right if i miss with the dremel there goes the whole plane. the hine line is low so cutting out the bays wont hurt structural intergrity at all.
Timothy,

why don't you wait a few more days before cutting open your fuselage! I promise I'll try to get some pics of Greg's or my friend's B-25 where they already cut their bomb bay doors? Unless you're really an expert modeler, I'd hate to see you ruin your fuselage. This is something you could to anytime. So if you can wait maybe we'll save you from making a mistake![sm=cry_smile.gif]

timothy thompson 10-26-2007 09:54 PM

So you do know of someone else who has done this. Im a scratch scale guy building for 25 years am doing a tf and taylor corsair so i can build. I would like to see the pics of other working doors. when doing this you must outline the area with a couple layers of masking tape. then the zona saw has a guide. i will post pics as i go . I have scale 3 views so dont worry everything will be mearure twice cut once. the bay is where my lipos will go.

go to the warbirds site and look at the tf gs corsair group build thread you can see my wing and the quality What type of govt does brazil have is it different from venezuela? that flying site looks so nice and your sig rascal is nice too

flaviosi 10-26-2007 10:35 PM

Timothy,

What type of govt does brazil have is it different from venezuela? that flying site looks so nice and your sig rascal is nice too
Well, I could write a lot about it. But to don't be boring and to make it short, I'd say that you can't seriously compare Venezuela to Brazil. First, our economy is way bigger than theirs. Their GNP is 180 billion dollars. Ours is close to 2 trillions. We probably have like... 200 billions in reserves outside Brazil (banking, export/import, etc), which is more than their anual GNP. Maybe you don't know, but Brazil is the tenth economy of the world (talking GNP). Bigger than Russia, for example.

Ahead of Brazil you see 1) USA, 2) Japan, 3) Germany, 4) China, 5) UK, 6) France, 7) Italy, 8) Canada and 9) Spain. Every other country you may think of is behind us. The best second south american country in economy size is Argentina, on position 31st with 200 billion dollars. Venezuela is on 37th .

With that in mind, is easy to understand that Brazil is way much more inserted into the globalization than Venezuela and obviously we couldn't afford to have a Banana Republic Dictator like Chavez or we weren't doing business like we do. :) Chavez, Morales(Bolivia) and another guy I don't remember(I think Colombia) are beeing laughed at, because of their stupid positions against US(their major buyer, BTW) and against the free market. A speech that only echoes with their good friend Castro.

Brazilian President built his carrier as a worker and has a leg on the "left", but he's not stupid and understands that comunism doesn't fit "Brazil, Inc" nor the modern world.

Timothy, I think we're waaaaayyyyyy off topic here. I hope Ken don't bother much, though.

Thanks again for the flying site and the Rascal. It's a great airplane. It flies like a trainer but man enough for some hotdogging. :)

Flavio

rcmorrow 10-27-2007 10:14 AM

Hi All, looks like there are some other threads about B-25's here on RC universe that have some great information and detail pics, etc.

I have been looking around for some 3 view drawings and other details. I also went to Glennis Aircraft to look at their wheel sets (they make scale wheels that are outstanding). Don't know if they have a set yet, but they should be emailing me in the near future.

Good luck with your projects and I'll start taking some pics of my progress here in the next few days.

krproton 10-27-2007 10:20 AM

Looking forward to your pics.

And everybody who may be viewing this thread for the first time--don't forget to go to the beginning and read the my first post with tips/suggestions I wrote and the next post that has suggestions for tightening the covering. ;)

Tim

AirWizard 10-27-2007 10:24 AM

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krproton 10-27-2007 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures you ask?

Coincidentally, I was cleaning up around our computer this morning and I came across the CD my brother gave me of the pics he took of my plane. They're not the building pics you're probably looking for, but something to "wet your whistle."

Tim

timothy thompson 10-27-2007 11:08 AM

krypton havet cut the fuse yet im finishin scaling out the corsair gear doors. looking forward to the bomb bay pics! i did by a specktrum radio for the ship thats some radio!

rcmorrow 10-27-2007 12:56 PM

Tim, the pics are great, thanks for sharing those with us.

Did you do a bit more scale detailing of your bombadier compartment ? The color of the interior of your plane looks more realistic to the zinc chromate than the way the parts came painted with my kit. Could very well be the rendtion fromthe images your brother took also, every color range is different for various camera, computers, and displays. Please note, this is not a complaint of any kind.......a little detailing and working of the kit is a very enjoyable process and makes it unique to the builder.

Again, great pics and really getting me excited about getting mine in the air as soon as possible.

krproton 10-27-2007 01:52 PM

Hi rcmorrow.

I haven't done any more detailing in the nose-gunner/bombadier's compartment of my model, other than, as you noticed, I painted it a different color of green. It's difficult to tell what color the interior should be, as many of the interior photos of B-25s I have looked at appear to have different colors in the interior. I will say that the interior isn't necessarily supposed to be zinc chromate. There is a color called "interior" green and it is fairly bright, but perhaps the color of the interior used for our model is too bright. On the other hand, I figured many will customize their interiors and add more details anyway. The purpose of the interior on the Top Flite kit was mainly to "fill the space" and give modelers a good starting point.

And hey, you're allowed to complain as much as you want! You just spent some $650.00, so that entitles you![sm=wink_smile.gif]

For those who may change the color or add interior details, you could just use Testors enamel paint. It's not fuelproof, but doesn't really need to be as no fuel should be getting into your interior anyway! (I hope!) What I did was spray my nose-gunner interior after the back and sides/floor were already attached to the model. But an airbrush is pretty much required if doing it this way--it applies the paint thinly and evenly. If you would rather use a spray can, it would be much better to paint the parts before installing them in/on the model.

I'm sure there will be many of you who are much more "scale-minded" than I and add many more scale details. Keep us posted on what you do and how you do it.:D

Tim

Iceman 29 10-27-2007 04:36 PM

Hello everybody..javascript:void(AddText(':D','')), i 'm new member on this forum, my name is Pascal, from France,

I have just ordered few days ago the "Big Baby 25" at Tower , is back order, i'm waiting now... javascript:void(AddText('[>:]',''))Is not yet in sale in Europe (end of december may be). Have already received the landing gear.

One question Tim, Where you found the Nuts for the propellers, sure is not fitted with the kit. Do you paint it ?
The thread must be in metric, i will used 2 saito 72 for this magnific Bomber.

Sorry for my poor english, i m not Skakepeare too....javascript:void(AddText('[\&o]',''))

Pascal.

kthmarks 10-27-2007 05:13 PM

I would like to consider this plane for my first twin. Problem is......I only have a 7 channel radio (Spektrum DX-7).

Will this work or is a 9 channel a necessity?

timothy thompson 10-27-2007 05:40 PM

1-4 ail rudd elev ail 5th gear 6th flaps 7th bomb bay doors if your crazy like me

plenty

krproton 10-27-2007 07:15 PM

Hello Pascal.

Welcome to the thread and thank you for ordering your Top Flite B-25.

The propeller hubs (nuts as you call them) are included with the kit. They fit the O.S. .70 Surpass II which is 5/16-24 thread.

If these do not fit the engines you will be using you could purchase propeller hubs from Harry Higley.

Your English is fine--better than some Americans![&:]

Tim

krproton 10-27-2007 07:22 PM

Hi Keith.

Let me think out loud here...

Ailerons - 1 channel
Elevator - 1 channel
Throttle - 2 channels preferred, but could be done on one channel (if you used a servo reverser because one servo has to move opposite the other)
Rudder - 1 channel
Nose steering - separate channel preferred so you can trim separately from rudder, but could be mixed with rudder using a Y-harness
Retract air valve - 1 channel
Flaps - 1 channel

If my math is correct, I guess you could actually fly your B-25 on six channels, but depending on the mixing available in your radio, seven would be better so you could use separate channels for the throttles or for the nose steering and the rudder.

p39 10-27-2007 08:21 PM

Hey, all.
I received my '25 the other day. The outer box looked like it had been sandwiched between something bigger and heavier. I couldn't get at unpacking until this morning and everything was in fine shape. The back end of the fuselage had actually punched a hole in the inner box but was unscathed. Seems to be a testament to the packaging AND the fuselage build. (I did e-mail Tower and let them know I was pleased with the packaging)

I had been gathering parts and pieces while waiting for the main show-- OS 70's, retracts, servos..... now it's all under one roof. Got the bench cleaned off tonight (One of 4 in my shop) and tomorrow I'll start in earnest. Oh, I know it won't fly anymore this Fall, but it will be one of the first out in Spring.

krproton 10-27-2007 08:33 PM

Hey p39.

Welcome to the thread.

Sorry about the box damage. Glad everything appears to be okay though. Whew!

Yea, I guess it'll be too late to fly it this year--especially since you're up in Minnesota. I wish we could have gotten them out a little earlier. Oh well, this way you'll be able to take your time. Me, I hope to get in one last flying day tomorrow down here in Illinois.

Okay,

take care!;)

Tim

PLANE JIM 10-27-2007 08:38 PM

great flying day in Texas-cool @70 degrees and clear blue sky with a 12 mph wind from the north -How good does it have to get!!!!!!!!!

p39 10-27-2007 08:42 PM

Texas.... ahh..... I'm planning on coming down for the IMAA winter ralley again this year. Well, Next Feb/March. I was down for two years in a row at Edinburg.... oh, it was about 2-3 years ago and flew for 4 days. It's worth the drive. I won't bring my '25 though- not without some flights on her. And Tim- I appreciate the hints and tips....

Iceman 29 10-27-2007 08:58 PM

Tks Tim for the prop-hubs. May be, i can re-machining the original set, i have to compare the diameter.

Concerning the CG, have you seen any differences concerning the flying characteristics when the Landing gear is Up and Down?

javascript:void(opener.AddText('[sm\=50_50.gif]',''));self.focus();

Pascal.

A picture of my last favorite plane , a Curtiss Hawk P6E (great planes), a great flyer, very nice to fly with, is like a trainer ! 30cc Saito on board, javascript:void(opener.AddText('[sm\=thumbup.gif]',''));self.focus();

http://images2.hiboox.com/vignettes/4307/88pjfl3v.jpg

kochj 10-27-2007 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RCV60-SP would be awsome ..
No valve covers sticking out!!!
The only concern would be that of the sound of these engines,,, They are a bit geary sounding....
Other than that though.. It would swing a large prop.... 2-blade 16x12 or a 3-blade 13x13 or even a 4-blade 14x11
Not sure what would be scale though....
Hmm more I talk about it, the better it sounds...
but again, almost 300$ for one engine and I start to back peddal
The light weight no fuss os 70's sounds like a good engine to place in it... Only issue is the abc CONSTRUTION....
This is a concern for Minnesotans, as in the winter it gets quite cold and that would ruin a non-ringed engine becaseu it would never reace optinum operation temp. and never expand the cyliner walls enough to let go of the piston,.........

Justin

KenVC 10-27-2007 11:01 PM

Hi Tim (krproton)

I am one of those that didn't receive their plane with the first order. My LHS claims they called Top Flite and was told the order has been held up due to decals and won't be available for a few weeks, possibly Dec. Is that right? I am scheduled for major surgery just prior to Thanksgiving and was hoping to work on the B25 then but it sounds like it won't be shipped for quite some time. Can you shed any light on this?