RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Mirco 01-16-2009 11:15 AM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Pilots and tail gunner are ready for start up the Saito 82 GK:D

regards

Mirco

nenne 01-16-2009 04:09 PM

Hello everybody
I am a 50+ man from Sweden and have got my TF B25 for a month ago and it looks good.
I have followed this forum for a couple of month and it is really interesting.
The question i need a little help with is what kind of engines a must use.
YS 63 or OS FL [email protected] ?
Is there anybody who has tried this engines?

kenneth

harleydoberman 01-16-2009 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: nenne

Hello everybody
I am a 50+ man from Sweden and have got my TF B25 for a month ago and it looks good.
I have followed this forum for a couple of month and it is really interesting.
The question i need a little help with is what kind of engines a must use.
YS 63 or OS FL [email protected] ?
Is there anybody who has tried this engines?

kenneth
Kenneth

I have the os 81'S bolted up to my b-25, while I have not flown the engines on the b-25 I mounted them one at a time this summer on a hanger nine ultra stick to break them in. I flew a gallon of cool power 15% thru each with not even a glitch. I start them off on the ground for a rich, fat tank, leaning them out every few minutes, then into the air on a fat mixture. After a 1/2 gallon start to lean them a little. They run great I highly recommend them. I had a OS 70 on the ultra stick that flew it ok but the OS 81 was like turbo charging it.

Tony

norm 01-16-2009 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello nenne

I have a pair of YS 63's on a A-26 and nothing but headhaches, when you got them running they are highly performant but not on the B-25. I woul recomend the OS81's or the Saito 82's. I was in Stocholm from oct 31 to nov 2 playing hockey a few weeks back. I saw the hobby store but did not have time to enter ansd see it. Visited the museum of the boat (preserved), very impressive...

Good luck with your B-25 and stay tuned

Normand

nenne 01-16-2009 05:26 PM

Hello Normand
Also thanks to Tony

Ok I have doughter who livs in Stockholm, my self live in the south of Sweden.
If you for any reason will come to Sweden don´t hesitate to give me a mail.

I have both types of engines in my hobbyroom, and I also think that the YS is an engine for an another type of airplane.
I have used YS for a couple of years but can not say that I have had any problem with them.
OS is not so complicated, I will go for the OS
kenneth

Hellcat716 01-16-2009 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You just have to know how to set them up. I have had the YS 63's on my B-25 for a year without a single problem. The best choice for the B-25 in my opinion. Ton's of power.

Mirco 01-17-2009 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Just finished my B25. Balanced the B 25 at the mentioned CG location of 127mm with gear down and fuel tanks empty a little bit nose haevy. With gear up the CG location is 131,5 mm.
So the CG is within the recommended range from 114 mm till 140 mm.

regards

Mirco

djstar39 01-18-2009 11:33 AM

Norman,

Hope the winter weather is treating you well! I'm in Indiana and am VERY tired of the cold and snow already!

I have a question for you on your wheels and brakes. I bought the Robart brake kit (140SET) and the Robart Aluminum 10 spoke brake hub with 4" tire (13840A2). Just put the axle through them from the TFB25 retracts from Robart and the axles appear to be too small (or the wheel openings are too big). I didn't see any collar inserts in the kits so now I have this sinking feeling that I ordered the wrong wheels and brakes.

I believe you're using this same setup so could you tell me if these Robart part numbers are the same as yours or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Dave

ScaleAero 01-18-2009 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: djstar39 Norman, Just put the axle through them from the TFB25 retracts from Robart and the axles appear to be too small (or the wheel openings are too big). I didn't see any collar inserts in the kits so now I have this sinking feeling that I ordered the wrong wheels and brakes. Dave
Believe you'll find you need to sleeve the axle with brass tubing...one within another to achieve the axle diameter to match the wheel(s).

Just a thought... : )

norm 01-18-2009 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave,

you got to insert 2 K&S brass tubes through it. I di not remenber the size but bring it to your local store and get the proper size. They fit perfectly over the axle and the wheel hub. Do not enlarge the oleo hole as you will weaken it. The smaller brass tube insert in a larger one (next size up) for a perfect fit. The tubes cost next to nothing be certain to buy the brass tube. Once the wheels are set you will have another challenge inserting the brake "caliper". To fix that problem you will have to lightly grind off some of the weldment in front of the oleo until it fits perfecty. Do not try to grind before you get the tubes.

Also the air tubes need to be held in place securely to avoid pinching when they go down and up. The pinch when gears are down will occur in front od the leg between the nacelle and the oleo and when retracted avoid having the tube on the side as it will wedge itself between the retract unit and the oleo pinching it again. you need to have it in front of the oleo at this location. small tie wraps will do the trick. You will understand when you get there. I attached some pictures showing the twist around the oleo to avoid the tube to be pinched. Unfortunately the pictures dont show the twist of the air tube to the front of the oleo inside but I assume you can figure it out. You will love those brakes. Hope this help.

Normand

djstar39 01-18-2009 01:46 PM

Normand and ScaleAero,

Thanks! I did go back and check earlier posts and found that you did use the same gear. Then I went tearing my hobby room apart looking for the bushings that I'm sure I had misplaced. Glad to know I'm not losing my mind! :-) Sounds like a simple solution so I'm off to the Hobby Shop. Once I get them in place I'll carefully scrutinize your last post Normand and the pictures and make sure I get it lined up with no binding, etc.

I fly off grass so I really probably don't need the brakes.... I just wanted them! Isn't that what this hobby is about?! We don't need any of this RC stuff... we want it! :-) Actually, there are some other sites that have paved runways to they will come in handy. Plus, I wanted to taxi out to the end of the runway, set the brakes run up to full power and let er rip!!!

Thanks again!

Dave

norm 01-18-2009 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess you got that figured out Dave, this is just for fun and it is fun. BTW do not forget to get the rubber bushing for thr front to avoid being sorry when landind. Get some spare pins also for the front oleo as it will break off...sometimes, not all landings are perfect on grass.

Normand

djstar39 01-19-2009 03:17 PM

Normand,

I saw the grommet post earlier... Thanks for reminding me as I now have another thing to go get! Picked up the brass tubing today... works like a charm!

Are you talking about the pins that hold the scissors? Also, can't remember what radio you have but I think it was the JR9303 (which I'm using). Did I read somewhere earlier that you used the levers on the side of the radio for the brakes? If so, what channel are those on? Did you set it up so that down is brakes on or vice versa? Later as I get further along I would appreciate it if you don't mind some radio questions on the gyro, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

Dave

norm 01-19-2009 04:56 PM

Dave that helps everyone, so I dont mind passing on my setup info. As for the x9303 I have the brakes setup on the right side lever using channel aux 4. The wheels are real smooth and never wear out.

Normand

elojim 01-21-2009 10:54 AM

Hi mirco,

where did you find this nice pilots ?

Mirco 01-21-2009 12:12 PM

Hi

The pilots are from:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=1466

Magnus76 01-22-2009 02:50 PM

Hi All !

Do some one know where to buy Robart Retracts for the Topflite B25 not in stock at TH or Robart ! and i need em NOW !!!!

//
Magnus

nemesis4u 01-22-2009 06:10 PM

I have 2 sets instock....

email me...

[email protected]

-CHEERS

TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
www.vqwarbirds.com

harleydoberman 01-22-2009 07:04 PM

http://www.recdepot.com/catalog/prod...?productID=220

Send me any questions at

[email protected]

Tony

Magnus76 01-23-2009 06:55 AM

Thanks !

Have sent you emails

//
Magnus

djstar39 01-23-2009 11:57 AM

Hey Folks,

I just wanted to publically thank Mike-RC for agreeing to sell / send me a set of his aluminum gear levers to replace the wood ones in the kit. The posts I saw on this were back in 2007 (post 246) so I wasn't expecting him to have any but he did. My lucky day!!!

Thanks Mike!!!!

Dave

RCGuy41 01-24-2009 12:29 AM

I purchased a set from Mike at the end of last summer. Since having them installed, I don't have a worry about them breaking. Quality craftsmanship at a decent price, I would recommend to anyone who has a TF B-25 or has just purchased one to invest the ten bucks for a set.

Brad

Bill Prieto 01-25-2009 08:04 AM

Hi Tim: I read in an article that their are Aluminum Bell Cranks available to replace the wooden bell cranks for main gear doors. The article mentioned that a RCU member "Mike-Rc made these items. I tried to find him in the RCU members but to no avail. If you know where I may contact Mike or who makes these aluminum bell cranks I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
Bill Prieto
[email protected]

RCGuy41 01-25-2009 01:34 PM

Bill,

Mike can be contacted via e-mail at [email protected] the aluminum levers are great, made with precision.

Brad

djstar39 01-25-2009 02:15 PM

Bill,

You can check posts 246 - 247 for a picture of the levers and ordering instructions. I ordered mine a couple days ago after conversing back and forth with Mike. Great guy!

Dave

krproton 01-27-2009 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Bill Prieto

Hi Tim: I read in an article that their are Aluminum Bell Cranks available to replace the wooden bell cranks for main gear doors. The article mentioned that a RCU member "Mike-Rc made these items. I tried to find him in the RCU members but to no avail. If you know where I may contact Mike or who makes these aluminum bell cranks I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
Bill Prieto
[email protected]
Bill, just wanted to acknowledge your post and question. Looks like they've already taken care of you.

Tim

elojim 01-28-2009 05:04 AM

Hi,

on my B-25j, the right motor has no anti-torque. Anybody has the same problem ?

CCFPILOT 01-28-2009 04:52 PM

Whats anti-torque

Magnus76 01-30-2009 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All !
I´m allso putting a Topflite B25 Together and have to say that this is a vey nice tread to read

My B-25 gone have Robart Retracts and Os 46 Ax engines ! Update this tread and post some picture while going on my english is some times not so good so maybe you have to correct me .

When i opened my package and start looking at the parts of the plane i see that one inner wing was damage. Contacted Topflite and they send me 2 rolls of monocote so i could fix my wing. A big thanks to the Support at Topflite that always is so helpful

Regards
Magnus

RCGuy41 01-30-2009 10:57 AM

elojim,

Hi, just read your post; there is nothing I can find about anti-torque. TF has built into both wing nacelles a 2 degree thrust differencial; the right nacelle should be 2 degrees right and the left should have 2 degrees left. The design should cancel out each engines torque as you power up for take off; but there will be some left torque that will require the pilot to input right rudder to keep the aircraft on center line during roll out and take off. For that reason, I have installed a gyro, Normand has mentioned before in past posts, and it works, when throttling up for take off the gyro counters the affect of engine torque and keeps my bird running strait and true down the runway. Ask Tim about the differential he should be able to provide a better answer.

Magnus,

Hi, the OS AX 46 2 stroke engines are good engines; I have the same engines installed on my B-25, very reliable. After 14 flights, I've never had a problem with them. I would recommend you use pitts style mufflers to prevent cutting large chunks from your cowls. But that also depends on the amount money you are willing to spend. By the way your English is very good; but in time it should get even better. Post some pictures, when you have time, of your work in-progres.

Brad

Magnus76 01-30-2009 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Brad !

Get 2 OS 46 AX whit pitts mufflers tomorrow. then i can move on whit the building started whit the nacelles and becuse i dont have the retracts or engines i have done the most of the stab . But tomorrow i get the engine and in the coming week i hope the retracts arrives . Today i test mounted the wings to se how it´s looked ooohhh man what a nice lady

Magnus

elojim 02-02-2009 02:59 PM

What Scale ? 1/9 seems to be a little too large?

fytrjok 02-02-2009 03:06 PM

Tim L.

I heard a rumor that H9 is reintroducing the larger P47 ARF sometime this Spring. I expect to see the Top Flight GS P47 ARF within 6 months!!:D

norm 02-02-2009 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Magnus,

Looking at those pictures reminds me of when I got mine and I did the same thing you did...back in 10/2007. The first thing I did was to hang it up in my garage to admire the size and was holding up the same way it is now, see pic below. My first impression was how the H#)) is this thing going to fly on a pair of os 46 or a pair of 70's!!! Well I went for a paitr of Saito 82's and it is powered just right even on the overpower side, but just a click. This is a great ARF and the whole buils was a pleasure would do it over anytime. I have just finished rebuilding my engines and doing some maintenance on mine. It already has over 90 flights to it and some things loosen up but all in all just as fun as the first time. Good luck.

Normand

Ram Jet 02-02-2009 03:20 PM

You stink. And to flaunt that beautiful Camel behind the Mitchell has pushed me to my limits.

Bill

norm 02-02-2009 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go again with rumors...I just finished putting together a "kit" TF P-47 so I will fo sure freak out if an ARF is introduced after spending over 400 hours building this kit and costed me well over 2500$ excluding my engine and all electronics! Hope you are right anyways fytrjok because it is a nice plane, nothing to do with the B-25 but....I permit myself, thank you guys. Here is a pic, I got it up there in toyland.

norm 02-02-2009 03:34 PM

I'm sorry Bill,

Bill this is my toyland and this is more and more becoming like what I imagine heaven to be! Only missing my 11 feet wingspan lancaster...being built. I really love every one I own and they are all a pleasure to fly. Sharing my fun with others is part of the fun and sometimes a trigger to motivate others, exciting is,nt it!

Normand

Ram Jet 02-02-2009 03:34 PM

Now you've REALLY done it - the freakin' Spitfire. Excuse me while I go shoot myself.

Bill

Ram Jet 02-02-2009 03:38 PM

My good Sir, from the appearance and quality of your aircraft it's apparent that you love what you are doing. My living room ceiling is home to many model aircraft. Isn't it wonderful to reside here in heaven while the rest of the world decends down the fiscal toilet?

Bill

Magnus76 02-02-2009 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Normand !

I think the same a pair of 46 ?? But some of the people that have used the 46 engines say it flies good so that´s what i hope for !!!

Tonight i installed the engine mount and tank and done some work on the stab !

now i wait for the retracts..... hope they arrive tomorrow !!!

//
Magnus