RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Corsair Bill 10-30-2016 02:57 PM

Correction Robart retracts

bladebender 11-20-2016 01:51 PM

I know this has been asked why don't they make more

chris923 11-20-2016 02:20 PM

It was out for about 7 years, I guess, it just ran it's course. It wasn't as "main stream" as a Corsair or a P -51. I just sold a "almost complete" kit on RCU for 400.00. It's possible they my revisit the B-25 with improvements in the future. I hope so anyway.

bladebender 11-21-2016 12:56 AM

Will keep my eyes open might get a esm 95 inch

barzini 11-21-2016 03:38 AM

I have a Top Flite B25 Ready to fly for sale.Contact me if interested.
Thanks

Lil Hoss 12-12-2016 07:12 AM

Gentleman..........
I have read many pages on the B25
I have come to the point of mounting the Canopy.
I remember seeing that someone made a nice framework for the canopy. This made it easy for access.
It was made of I believe balsa and the canopy attached to it. It was held down by magnets.
Does anyone recall seeing this
Thanks
Hoss

Corsair Bill 12-13-2016 02:53 PM

Hoss, I don't recall the post you are referring to but, I attach the cockpit canopy with small screws to make removal easier.

Bill

Lil Hoss 12-14-2016 03:03 AM

Thanks Bill
I am making mine electric. I need access to the inside if the canopy for the batteries.
I do remember seeing a canopy setup that was all built up w/ pilots that just fit into the canopy cavity.
It was held in by a threaded rod. I will keep searching....
Thanks again Bill
Hoss

Bob Paris 12-14-2016 11:28 AM

Hi Guys
I am still searching for a set of canopies for my T.F. B-25. I obtained a war wary B-25, but has no canopies or interior. It was rode hard and put away wet and I am cleaning it all up, to include maybe a new covering. I need canopies to make her complete...Tower is out of all parts for the B-25. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

raaf 01-01-2017 03:25 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hi guys
Here is an picture update on my rebuild..I think its turned out pretty good considering there is a lot of firsts for me.First time ive used fibre glass for covering which was deluxe materials products[there cloth and water base resin].First time ive sprayed painted with a gun and a first time painting with latex paint.I also re powered it with 2 os95fsv engines which im converting to spark ign..I also had to replace the retracts so i use another set of Eflite 120 size with the Robart oleos.
It been a fun rebuild with new skills gained..
I also have to give a big thanks to just plane sweet for going to the effort of making me a new nose glass [not fitted yet] it really turned out great..

cheers shayne

Bob Paris 01-01-2017 07:01 PM

Hay Raaf,
I love your rebuild. I did manage to get two new engine cowls...but I am rebuilding mine now. All new coverings...and wish I had all my plastic parts and all the up grades I saw for this bird. The top gun turret is one I would love to have too. I will finish the build...and if I can find two nice Super Tiger G90's, I would power mine with these. The model originally had two 72 four strokes...and to me it was under powered. When I was given the model, I pulled the engines, was able to locate two new cowls...but no glass for the kit. If I am in serious need of all the plastic and glass for the kit.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

raaf 01-05-2017 04:19 AM

hi bob
thanks....i know what you mean about parts theyre impossible to get.just a thought there are a few different arf's around with spares that may fit the top flight kit be worth looking in to..

cheers shayne

rafeeki 01-07-2017 08:59 AM

Bobby, take a look at this link they have the glass although v slightly smaller. Worked for me though after some modification to the nose gunners cockpit.
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...3&keyword=b-25

I am in need for the wing tubes. They are of very thin aluminum with nylon inserts... Might try to get my hand on carbon fiber tubes.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Corsair2013 08-08-2017 08:14 AM

If anyone has a B25 or had a TF B25 I have an issue. I just finished a build and noticed that my elevator hits the horns on the rudder when going down. I know it said to push the elevators towards the fuse but even if I had pushed them all the way to touching the horn would still hit the elevator. Did I do something wrong?

Also - if anyone has a Cowl I would purchase........

Thanks

Keith

JustPlaneSweet 02-11-2018 11:06 AM

I'm finally able to talk about it. Finished my B-25 and totally destroyed it on the maiden. At least the engines sounded great on takeoff.

I have a vacuum forming plug for the nose. I have unfinished plugs for the windshield, turret and tailgunner. I have both nacelle covers with gear doors hinged like RcDon showed on his website.

I have a turret gunner canopy (drilled for #0 mtg screws) and a tailgunner cover with intact canopy. It has been modified to dowel into the fuselage to allow for the LED machine gun barrels.

If anyone is interested in any or all of it, shoot me a PM.

Stan

gregory.aldrich1 02-11-2018 11:45 AM

Tough break JPS. I flew mine a total of five or six times and each was as nerve racking as the next. I could never get over the fact I had spent 300 plus hours building the thing. She was beautiful and like any beautiful thing we love, sometimes the burden of keeping them outweighs the relief of getting rid of them. So, I sold mine. I was sad and I miss it, but I couldn't get over the fright of flying the thing although it really did fly like a much easier bird. It was the fear of loosing an engine, or one of the simple electronic devices going wonky and costing thousands in a loss. Been there and done that. Anyway, sorry you didn't get the pleasure of at least one flight safe and sound.
As for the extra parts, good luck. Hopefully plenty of folks are still building the bird although I guess it's been discontinued in production.

Greg

Corsair Bill 02-11-2018 03:57 PM

JPS, sorry for you loss. What happened if you care to share?. I'm still flying my TF B-25, lost of flights a few white knuckle landings but so far so good. Best of luck to you on your next RC plane.

Regards Bill

barzini 02-12-2018 03:44 AM

My buddy and I love flying our Top Flite B-25's I had two,one with Saito 82's which I traded and my current one has OS 91 four strokes.They fly great and attract lots of attention at the field.They are not difficult to fly as long as you don't try to lean the engines out too much and give it a nice run-out before take off.Landings are very smooth and I normally use half flaps.Theres still a few out there but its tough to find parts.Another really nice ARF that's been discontinued.

JustPlaneSweet 02-14-2018 10:51 AM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Corsair Bill (Post 12405441)
JPS, sorry for you loss. What happened if you care to share?. I'm still flying my TF B-25, lost of flights a few white knuckle landings but so far so good. Best of luck to you on your next RC plane.

Regards Bill

I took off south into the wind and turned east. The plane was very sluggish and severely banked against the wind to turn. The plane was getting further out as I was trying to turn north. My spotter asked if I was using any rudder as scale birds usually need coordinated turns.

So when I touched the rudder the plane immediately went into a spinning dive. I was able to stop the spinning but I did not have enough altitude to come out of the dive. Total loss.

When I handled my transmitter to my buddy so I could pick up the pieces I noticed the heading hold gyro was on. Aaaargh.

Stan

rafeeki 02-14-2018 11:38 AM

Cowls

If the cowls are in good condition would you be willing to sell them?

Thanks

Rafeek

Bob Paris 02-14-2018 07:15 PM

Hay Guys,
I am in need of any class for this airframe. I manage to get a T.F. B-25, but need pilot, nose and any other glass or detail for the model.
Please let me know.
Aloha,
Bob Paris

Corsair Bill 02-15-2018 06:01 AM

JPS, ouch!!!! Thanks for aharing

Bill

rantanplan 05-28-2019 03:53 AM

Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased an old TF B25 that was coming from a Restaurant. It was initially build as static model so has some parts missing; mainly the wooden nacelle structures . I'm not able to find a plan in the internet to rebuild them myself so I guess if someone has a plan, a set of good pictures so I can make my own plans, or even a wooden nacelles coming from a total loss or from parts stock. I could be also interested to purchase a set of 4S engines for this model and even the retracts always depending on the Price and the cost to send them to Europe.
Someone?
Thanks.

orleck 06-26-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rantanplan (Post 12527654)
Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased an old TF B25 that was coming from a Restaurant. It was initially build as static model so has some parts missing; mainly the wooden nacelle structures . I'm not able to find a plan in the internet to rebuild them myself so I guess if someone has a plan, a set of good pictures so I can make my own plans, or even a wooden nacelles coming from a total loss or from parts stock. I could be also interested to purchase a set of 4S engines for this model and even the retracts always depending on the Price and the cost to send them to Europe.
Someone?
Thanks.

Did you find a solution to your missing wooden nacelle problem? If not, I thought I may be able to at least send photos of mine.

keathebch 02-23-2020 06:04 PM

Does anyone know someone who has a nose or can make the nose or has a plug for making the nose?
Thanks

pilotdude57 02-23-2020 06:13 PM

If you give me the three view drawings and dimensions I can print out a plug on a 3D printer, then make a rubber mold, then make a hi-temp urethane plug, and make a nose piece on my vacuum-forming machine. [email protected]

rafeeki 02-25-2020 10:28 AM

B-25 nose cone

There is a long story to tell.
I made the same inquiry few years ago. As I mentioned it to a gentleman who was selling his full plane but was unable to. He decided to send me few nose pieces, nacels, wings, and tail piece after he gave up on selling his plane. He also included cast gypsum plugs of the front cone and several other pieces. Some are still in bubble wrapping but few may be cracked. I will unwrap and lay them out and post a picture.

As I will not be using the plugs I will pass them along free of charge but will ask whomever wants them to pay for shipping. Which is what I ended up paying:)

The person who sent me the stuff is a real honorable person and should be commended. I have misplaced his name but I hope he checks out this thread.

As the nose cone is the most vulnerable part of this exquisite plane. It is in high demand.
Will whomever receives the plug be willing to produce the nose cone and make it available to others at a reasonable cost????

Thank you for being part of this thread
Rafeek

rafeeki 02-25-2020 03:53 PM

Here are the plugs I got
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...4fe5cd61fb.jpg
As you can see the pilot canopy plug is broken but all the parts are there. It is repairable.

Bob Paris 03-21-2020 09:32 PM

I am in need of a set of glass for the Top Flight B-25. I managed to get a hanger queen with damage. I fixed the damage, recovered and even found two cowls for it. I need all the plastic glass for the Bomber.
Thanks,
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui

rafeeki 03-22-2020 01:43 PM

Bob
I have the molds in my previous link if you want them, free. They are heavy. Not sure what the cost for mailing them would be.

Let me know

orleck 08-03-2020 08:55 AM

Just wondering if all those Top Flite B-25s are still in the air? The reason I ask is I started mine years ago and put it aside for longer than I care to admit.
Now that I am retired, I had thought I would have all this spare time to finish it. I wonder if I have waited too long and maybe missed my window of opportunity\confidence.
Certainly the reduced flying due to the pandemic hasn't helped. What to do, what to do . . . .

CCFPILOT 08-03-2020 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by orleck (Post 12622173)
Just wondering if all those Top Flite B-25s are still in the air? The reason I ask is I started mine years ago and put it aside for longer than I care to admit.
Now that I am retired, I had thought I would have all this spare time to finish it. I wonder if I have waited too long and maybe missed my window of opportunity\confidence.
Certainly the reduced flying due to the pandemic hasn't helped. What to do, what to do . . . .

The plane flys great. You should finish it and fly.

rafeeki 08-03-2020 11:03 AM

Dont even think of it, dont waste your time. Get at it. It is easy except for the nacells where the landing gear and door mechanisim is.
Love it, will attach pics once I download them.

orleck 08-03-2020 11:32 AM

"easy except for the nacells where the landing gear and door mechanisim is." . . . . funny that is where I originally bogged down and often thought if only I would have settled for the fixed gear I'd have been flying it for years now.

Thanks to both of you . . . I am encouraged !

rafeeki 08-03-2020 12:44 PM

Orleck
As you see this is message #3275 of this forum. It would be enlightening if you go through some of them to see the different approaches to various parts of this build.

If you are daring I would suggest you open up the fuselage for access to the nose gear servo. In my case I used the same chanell for rudder and nose gear so it was tricky to get it to track.

In any case feel free to get back here and explore.
Best
Rafeek
[email protected]

kevin 08-03-2020 03:29 PM

Maybe my review can be of help in the places you are bogged down ....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ric-Conversion

Originally Posted by orleck (Post 12622201)
"easy except for the nacells where the landing gear and door mechanisim is." . . . . funny that is where I originally bogged down and often thought if only I would have settled for the fixed gear I'd have been flying it for years now.

Thanks to both of you . . . I am encouraged !