RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Mustang Fever 07-09-2009 01:27 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Toreo:

What twin cylinder engines are you using, and what prop?

Sure looks ready to go!!

Speedracer2112 07-12-2009 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike873

KEEP THE SPEED UP IN THE TURNS and dont bank too steeply. Remember flaps add tons of drag, keep the RPMs up when you drop the flaps.

Thats how I lost mine. Dropped the gear and flaps and she fell out of the sky in the very first turn.

SR

Speedracer2112 07-21-2009 02:20 PM

Does anyone here use "Real Flight 4.5" ? If so which plane do you think is most reallistic to the actual plane?

SR

c550 07-21-2009 03:21 PM

I noticed on post flight that the sevo mounts on my flap and aileron servos had worked loose. I also am having trouble keeping the cowl mounting bolts from comming loose. you guys might want to check yours before your next flight.

Regards,

Dave

RCGuy41 07-21-2009 04:02 PM

Speed Racer,

Hi, I fly RF 3.5 on my laptop; I have add on version 4 for RF 3.5 and higher, version 4 has a 102" B-25J w/gas engines. Flying the computer version helped to prepair me to fly my TF B-25. Hope this helps. Since you have RF 4.5; go the RFs website and download version 4 for free.

Brad

CCFPILOT 07-21-2009 04:07 PM

I always use blue locktite on the cowls, with no lockwashers - (the screws are to short). So far after probably 50 flight so good, but I think I might check anyway. Thanks for heads up.

kochj 07-28-2009 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Mustang Fever

Toreo:

What twin cylinder engines are you using, and what prop?

Sure looks ready to go!!
He is using the Saito 100 twins...
not sure on the prop.

kochj 07-28-2009 11:15 AM

Although electrics have conta-rotating props.....

I always wondered why a manufacture doesn't produce a backwards running engine..?????????????/

THe p-factor yaw, would be cancelled out...

Thomas B 07-28-2009 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: kochj

Although electrics have conta-rotating props.....

I always wondered why a manufacture doesn't produce a backwards running engine..?????????????/

THe p-factor yaw, would be cancelled out...
You used to be able to buy left handed rotation crankshafts for some K&B and OS engines, as I recall. A crank swap and the motor would run the other way.

Thomas B 07-28-2009 06:59 PM

Hey there....need some help.

I dinged my B-25 a couple of weeks back and an currently repairing the wingtips and the nose. Not much damage, thank goodness. I lost power on the right hand motor right at rotation for liftoff and did a little damage to the nose and wingtips in the aftermath. I have so much static thrust from my electric setup that Vmc is pretty high on this thing, and I was not quite there. In any case, it is already well on the way to recovery!

I destroyed my nose gunner canopy assembly. I have one on backorder from Tower hobbies....the date for it to be back in stock has gone from late July to Late Sept and this week back to late July. Given that is is July 28, who knows when it will be here.

If there is anyone out ther that would consider selling me their vacuform and fiberglass nose parts, I would REALLY appreciate it. I am trying to get back in the air for a Sept event.

I know a few folks have converted to a solid gun nose and hope there might be some spares out there. I know this part is often broken, though.

If anyone would is not going to be building their B-25 for a few months, and would consider selling the nose fiberglass and vac form nose gunner glass, please send me a PM. I would send you the parts I get from Tower immediately upon arrival and pay all shipping costs.

christophe31 07-31-2009 12:13 AM

hi guy's,
just to inform you that i'll mount on this plane the new gaz saïto FG14, you can find some pics of them [link=http://forum.modelisme.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1718372#p1718372]here[/link]
they work fine, sound great , and i'll do the B25 with only one gaz tank on the fuse , cause they aren't hungry 8cc/min full gaz.
i'll post you some pics of job.
@+

raaf 08-11-2009 09:33 AM

HI ALL

THE TECH ADVISE THAT HAS BEEN GAINED BY MYSELF FROM ALL OF YOU HAS BEEN FANTASTIC.THE TOPFLITE KIT IS SO GOOD TO WORK WITH IT'S BEEN STRAIT FORWARD SO FAR.I DO NEED SOME HELP FROM ANYONE ON WHERE THE RETRACT VALVE CAN BE FITTED WITH A FULL COCKPIT KIT.
I'VE DONE SOME MODS TO MINE WITH THE COMMON ONES LIKE BOMB BAY (from wingspan models) ROTATING TURRET AND MY OWN SCRATCH BUILT COCKPIT.
I GOT MY B25 WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT IN AUST AND STILL GOING.I'M TAKING MY TIME TO GET THE BEST RESULT THAT WHY I'VE ASKED FOR YOUR ADVICE ON THIS PROBLEM.
I HAVE MADE ROOM BEHIND COCKPIT JUST LIKE OTHERS HAVE AND THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THE SPOT.SO ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE WILL BE GREAT.
I'D LIKE TO THANK TIM AND ALL OF YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD AND KEEPING IT GOING.TOPFLITE I MUST SAY HAS BEEN THE BEST ARF I'VE BUILT AND IT SO GOOD TO MODIFY.
I'D LIKE TO POST SOME PIC BUT DONT NO HOW (DONT LAUGH)I'D HAVE TO ASK MY KIDS

CHEERS RAAF

norm 08-11-2009 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RAAF,

I agree with you when you say this is the best ARF. It is also as fun to fly as it is to build. I did like you and modified mine to my liking. It is well worth.

For the request you have you ,may simply build yourself a mounting plate for your air valve and then place it where you prefer. I had a similar situation in another plane and made a mounting plate. The picture describe it better.

Hope this help.

Normand

RCGuy41 08-11-2009 10:54 AM

RAAF,

I have to agree with you and Normand, the TF B-25J is one of the best ARF's on the market. Just my 2 cents worth on your question, Normand is right, build a plate for the servo and retract actuator but mount the plate behind the cockpit next to the nose wheel steering servo. The idea is, your going to have all that room between the bomb bay and the cockpit why not utilize it. You will be able to run all your pneumatic lines out to the wings and the nose prior to installation of the cockpit kit. These are just my thoughts, hope they help and if you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Brad

jdhughen 08-11-2009 10:57 AM

Norman,

I know this is Off topic but how's the Lancaster going? do you have a link to a build thread ? I've allways enjoyed following your build's

thanks

Joel

raaf 08-12-2009 07:25 AM

HI GUYS

TO NORMAND AND BRAD MANY THANKS TO YOU BOTH THE ADVICE IS VERY HELPFUL AND THATS WHAT I'LL DO.
I'VE JUST MOVED MY THROTTLE SERVOS UP TO THE FRONT JUST BEHIND THE FIREWALL.NOT MY IDEA BUT ONCE AGAIN THATS THE WAY
TO GET THE BEST RESULT FROM BUILDERS THAT HAVE MORE EXPERTICE.
THERE IS ANOTHER RCU B25 BUILD AND HE'S GIVEN STEP BY STEP ON HIS CONSTRUCTION.I REALY LIKE THE WAY HE'S MODIFIED THE GEAR DOOR SYSTEM WITH SERVOS IT SHORE GETS RID OF ALOT OF LINKAGES.
WELL BACK TO THE THREAD FOR MORE GOOD READING.

CHEERS RAAF

norm 08-12-2009 09:00 AM

Joel,

The Lancaster is off topic, not off my mind! Lots of pictures and developpememt has been put off to the fall, for now I enjoy the little we have of summer left here for now.

Normand

Thomas B 08-12-2009 05:02 PM

I wanted to say thank you to the great guys on here. One of the regulars made me a great deal on the canopy parts I needed, so I can get back in the air a LOT sooner than Tower Hobbies would allow.......

Heat1960 08-16-2009 09:14 PM

Finally I was able to finish the build of my TF B25 and did the maiden on Friday. :D Flight was awesome, plane flies great. Can't wait to fly it again. Great build thread, it really helped with the maiden flight and gave confidence as a result.
Thanks to Brent (Slamdance 64). Now lets get Brent's B25 finished and up in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfXPodvgac4

Calvin.

Mustang Fever 08-17-2009 07:20 AM

Congrats, Calvin. Great flight.

raaf 08-18-2009 07:00 AM

HI ALL
NORMAND AND BRAD ONCE AGAIN THE ADVICE HAS PAID OFF I'VE MADE THE MOUNT PLATE AND IT WILL BE SET UP IN AREA BEHIND THE COCKPIT.I WOULD LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS ON MY ENGINES.I'VE GOT A PAIR OF 70FL AND WILL RUN 12X8 3 BLADE MAS PROPS.
I'VE BEEN READING A LOT IN THE THREAD AND THINK THE COMBO WILL WORK OK.I HAVE GOT THEM MOUNTED 4 7/8 FROM FIREWALL,I DID HAVE SPACERS BEHIND THEM TO GET IT TO 5" BUT SAW IN THE THREAD THE COWL / ENG AND DUMMY ENG MIGHT LOOK ODD.
AND JUST LIKE A FEW OTHERS I TO HAVE BROKEN A LEVER BUT HAVE REPAIRED IT LIKE TIM SUGGESTED.MIGHT HAVE TO INVEST ALUM ONES FROM MIKERC.
YOUR THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREAT.

RAAF[SHAYNE]

Weeso 08-18-2009 12:45 PM

Hi guys I intent 2 buy the top flight B-25, can u advise me which engines 2 choose and retracts?

RCGuy41 08-18-2009 02:43 PM

Shayne

Depending on your budget, 2 OS 70 FL 4 stroke engines will provide ample power to fly your B-25. As you have probably noticed; there are a few modelers who have put 2 Saito 82 4 strokes into their B-25 and various other power plants. Determine the field conditions you are flying from, i.e. grass, dirt, paved runway then decide which power plant is best suited for those conditions, if you have a need for speed go with the Saito 82's, but check out this website, it has a great TF B-25 build http://www.rcdon.com/html/top_flite_...ell_proje.html this guy uses a twin Saito to power his bird.

About the main retract lever, either chage it to hardwood or purchase the aluminum levers, I did during my build and have never had a single problem. Just my two cents worth.

Brad

RCGuy41 08-18-2009 02:53 PM

Weeso,

The TF B-25 minimum engine requirements are 2 OS 46 AX 2 stroke, or 2 OS 70 FS 4 stroke engines, you can choose any engine you want. As for retracts, Robarts makes a great set for the TF B-25, some of your other choices are Century Jet, Shinden Machine, and maybe Sierra Giant scale. Hope this helps. also check out rcdon from my previous post to RAAF and review his build.

Brad

Termites Dream 08-18-2009 03:30 PM

I commented before that the OS FL 70s (which are no longer available) were really sluggish getting my plane in the air when the grass was a bit long and I had the robart retracts, onboard glow etc and it weighed 20 pounds. Turns out I did not have the foam inserts in the scale wheels and that affected performance. With the inserts, the 70 4 stroke is adequate to fly from grass. In the air, it has more than enough power. However, I would not put the 3 blade props on until you were real comfortable flying it with 2 blade APCs. Not sure how much power the OS 72 has compared to the FL 70.
One of my engine mounts keeps vibrating loose from the firewall, think I might try the RED loktite this time.