RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Kaos1964 11-01-2009 11:07 AM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Well folks after reading through this thread (ok most of it) I have to first say thanks to all for the wealth of information here, and second - thanks a lot - I'm hooked. I'll be putting in an order over the next couple of weeks and starting one of these.

I'm an oldschool 'arfs are evil' guy (said in jest, please don't flame me) with a pattern / giant scale background but I just can't resist after tearing up the sky with a twinstar (an arf!) recently.

Thanks again to all for the huge amount of great information here!

Mustang Fever 11-01-2009 04:44 PM

Kaos:

You'll love it. It's a great flier. When I got back into models after a 40 year or so hiatus, I started out building from plans and kits. I didn't do ARFs for a couple years or so. I find that I've learned just as much by putting together well engineered ARFs as I have doing it on my own.

Speedracer2112 11-02-2009 09:31 AM

OK. Maiden complete with a intact plane. She flew great but the landing stunk! I don't think I've ever been so freeked out flying a plane since the first crash. I still needed more down trim and I think it was aileron to the right. I scraped the wingtip and dinged a prop with a little bend in the front retract. Overall its OK. The wind kept shifting directions on me as I was trying to land 180 degrees which was killing me. It will be three weeks before I can fly again.

Thanks for the help.

SR

Mustang Fever 11-02-2009 10:26 AM

SR: That's good news. Keep at it.

Weeso 11-12-2009 08:34 AM

Hi Guys finaly I got my TP B 25 it more beuteful than I expected and I held a party for its arrivel and will start bulding it as soon as i get all its requierments, I will use the Saito engins

hotrods24 11-18-2009 01:44 PM

I purchased my Mitchell last month from the left coast. the plane was already assembled, but went over it with a fine tooth comb. There was no major problems, so good job Ken. The plane has Saito 82's taching 9400 at max power with MA 12-8 three blade. It also has Robarts and a McDaniels glow system. If flaps are not used for takeoff, you will burn up some grass getting airborne. I was a little worried first flight so I did a no flap takeoff. I didnt want the plane to stall so I let it run down the runway with plenty of groundspeed before rotating. The landings have been done at 50% flap setting. My last few takeoffs have been from 50% as well with significally less groundroll. The plane climbs out well as we have an obstacle at the end of the field so it's either climb or turn. With power on the plane it really wants to climb flaps down. I guess I could adjust my radio for that, but kinda chicken to mess up a good thing. I haven't done any areobatics with the plane yet. I'm trying to get my confidence up on the twin setup before doing something to cause a flameout. My elevator expo has been at 45 and the landings as smooth as silk. This plane is bad a## on the low passes. Flies and lands like a trainer so don't be afraid to get one. Just make sure you have reliable powerplants.

Mustang Fever 11-18-2009 06:45 PM

They do flare real pretty, don't they, hotrods?

TF said one inch max flap travel, so that' what I have, but only up or down, no in between. I use em on my first TO at a pretty bumpy grass field, and she had no problems. Little bit of wind. Mine came in at a touch over 18 pounds with fixed gear and the gear doors all screwed closed. OS 55AXs turning 12 x 7 APCs at close to 10,000 on the ground. Pretty close to the same punch you have. A bit less top end, I think.

Speedracer2112 11-22-2009 11:18 AM

I have a few more flights in now butI still suck at landing. Im still a little freaked out about tip stalling on the final turn to land and am having difficulty dropping the throttles down until the turn is complete. Needless to say I'm comming in hot.

So when are you guys dropping your throttles down? I have OS81s with APC 13x6 props.

SR

c550 11-22-2009 11:57 AM

SR,

I feel your pain. It is a large model and you need room to manuever. It also looks like it is going slower than it really is. I try to keep the nose down when I make my turn from downwind to final. With the flaps down and engines at idle you need to keep the nose down and the model descending to avoid a stall. With all that said the B-25 will fly very slow and land very well. It took me about ten flights to get used to it and even then it is hard not to get nervous when I think about the time and money I have flying around up there.

Regards,

Dave

Speedracer2112 11-22-2009 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: tom2bell

Here are some pics of the b25 after the rebuild I think it looks even better The nose is the one offered by the flyingchef back in the thread somewhere. carbon fiber really cool
tom
Do you know who you got the nose from? I need one to rebuild my first plane.

SR

Speedracer2112 11-22-2009 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Speedracer2112

Here are some pics of the b25 after the rebuild I think it looks even better The nose is the one offered by the flyingchef back in the thread somewhere. carbon fiber really cool
tom
Do you know who you got the nose from? I need one to rebuild my first plane.

SR

Found it.

Thanks

SR

cjhallman 11-22-2009 02:05 PM

I'm glad to see people on this thread yet.
           This is my first time on the thread.I'm in the process of deataling my b-25

chris

jdhughen 11-23-2009 08:33 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Speedracer2112

[quote]ORIGINAL: Speedracer2112

tom

Found it.

Thanks

SR
Speedracer

OK, so are you going to share a link with the rest of us ???? ;)

Thanks
Joel

Speedracer2112 11-23-2009 03:41 PM

Sorry boss. Here it is.

This guy makes it. He just Emailed me. $50 for the nose.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7247254

This is completed on someone elses plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8588727

SR

Mustang Fever 11-24-2009 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The best "training" I can think of for approach with heavy scale warbirds is to get a bunch of time on something like a Sig Wonder or a Lanier Shrike. They both require a nose down, engine off glide to the threshold, and then level off about 1 foot off the ground and wait for touchdown. Either of these will get you in the habit of long, nose low, power off approaches. The Wonder can still be purchased as a kit from sigmfg.com, and is an easy fast build. The Shrike was dropped by Tower, but I have plans and templates I'll copy and ship for $25 for anyone that's interested. It's also an easy build. (Covers costs only to anywhere in the US except HI) I made my Shrike with removable fixed LG so I can get lots of practice landing and taking off.

To get good at flaring touchdown, nothing beats seaplanes. You learn quickly to level off just above the water, reduce power and pull the nose up in a nice, non-ballooning flare. Otherwise you get rewarded with the "skipping stone" show.

eteflyer 11-29-2009 10:45 AM

[font="Arial"]Opinions and or advice appreciated - It's been many years since I've built or flown an RC aircraft

Back in the 80's I assembled some balsa kits and have flown on and off (years ago) but my actual flying skill is still at the low end of intermediate.

After years of auto racing and Lionel electric trains winters, I have sold all my racecar tools, trailer and etc and most of the Lionel and now I'm wanting to get back into RC.

I intend to get an electric park flyer and a gas trainer like the Hanger 9 P-51 but my main interest is a B-25 (mostly because my Dad flew a B-25 over China in WWII).
I built every B-25 plastic model when I was kid and my Dad's war plane stories are my some of my fondest memories of him.

The big question is - have any of you ever built a particular plane "just because" ?

I am not so sure I might ever fly an RC twin like the B-25, my main interest is building a well detailed, fully functional bomber w/ retracts, 4 cycle engines,
detailed cockpit, nose, turret and etc (possibly an operating bomb bay ?).

I would get a lot of satisfaction owning a model that looked and operated realisticly, and if I can partner up with an accomplished flyer it would be a kick to see my plane fly, even if someone else was at the controls.

This is not to say I would never fly it myself, I just know better than to think I could do something like this over the next year and be ready to take the controls my self in
that short period.

After a lot of web research I lean towards the Top Flite kit and would appreciate your comments, opinions or suggestions.

THANKS very much.

Emery
Omaha, NE

c550 11-29-2009 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Emery,

Of course you would need to get your skills up to speed again, but the TF B-25 does lend itself to being moded. I have done most of the things you wrote about on mine. I modeled A USMC BPJ that served with VMB-611 Below is a picture just before touchdown. The model flies very sweet even at a higher weight due to details.

Regards,

Dave

Termites Dream 11-29-2009 03:57 PM

Emery,

you have picked a great plane to do the mods you are planning (unless of course you want to go totally crazy and build a huge Ziroli from scratch). There is a ton of info on this thread about people putting in bombays (either made themselves or bought from Wingspan models), rotating turrets, rivet lines and lots of other mods like on Daves very cool model. I recommend you get at least 82 size 4 strokes, esp if you are going to mod and esp if you are going to fly from grass. Mine is underpowered with OS 70s flying from grass with retracts, scale wheels and onboard glow. Once in the air, it flies really well.
Have fun!
David

Steve in Denver 11-29-2009 09:49 PM

Emery, If you want to build a B-25 then you found the right info page (s). This post is on page 95 of this topic. I have read every page at least once and a lot of them several times. There is so much info posted by so many that it has turned into a book...literally. It's a fun and very interesting read with lots of pics and videos. Enjoy. I sure have.
Steve

eteflyer 11-30-2009 04:41 PM

Thanks ! :D

Gutaaaooo 12-09-2009 09:41 PM

Just as a heads up, theses are 459.99 at troybuilt models right now!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMB25-95.html

Speedracer2112 12-16-2009 09:06 PM

Troy Built is about 35 minutes from my house. Looks like a nice field trip as soon as they get more in stock.

SR

Speedracer2112 12-16-2009 09:38 PM

Hi all,

I have had a nose gear failure three times now for three different reasons. Each time I have gone with almost zero damage. Crazy?

First time.
I tried to bend back and reuse a shear pin in the nose gear. It looked ok but failed on touch down. No damage at all as it slid into the grass.

Second time.
The linkages at the servo, brass pin to wire, folded back on itself and shortened the length enough that the retract didnt lock. It folded back on touchdown.
The gear door acted like a skid. It wore it down a little but was easily repaired. Both props lost about 1/2" on each blade. I fixed it from happening again by puting heat shrink on/over the linkage. My buddy got it on film. It sounds terrible on impact but listen to the motors as she comes down! Very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A31lDAB3qfs

Third time.
One of my landings was a little long and I had gone off of the runway and into the grass. Sand from an ant hill was thrown into the retract with out me seeing it. It went up and locked during the flight. I tried for 10 minutes to get it down. No go. The flight was at about 15 minutes when I decided I better land. I picked a nice smooth area of grass and bled off all the speed to a near stall and set her down on the mains She gently slid to a stop as the field broke out in cheers. Not a scratch again! The 50 cal gun in the nose broke a rubber band.

I have about 28 flights with her now. Shes one of my favorite planes now.

SR

BTW, With the OS81 4 strokes I can easily get a 15 minute flight at WOT and have a reserve. Very nice motors! Each has behaved FLAWLESS!

Mustang Fever 12-16-2009 10:09 PM

All of that is exactly why I decided not to spend all that money on the retracts. The fixed gear is well engineered, very rugged, isn't very noticeable in flight, and doesn't affect handling at all.

christophe31 12-17-2009 02:30 AM

i don't understand why you landing so fast, is that the reason why you have those failure, look at my firts one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiOS5Kheorg

and he weighted 9kg with the 2 saito gas,