RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Kangaroo-NitroPlanes-Assembly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6732742-kangaroo-nitroplanes-assembly.html)

Crazy4Flight 12-30-2007 02:19 PM

RE: Kangaroo-NitroPlanes-Assembly

1 Attachment(s)
This morning I added a guide. just a block of balsa fitted across the inside of the fuse, traced the rod into the wood and then cut a groove, hardened it with thin cya and capped it with a wide landing gear strap.

Next, to make a cover to hide the ugly holes carved open to install the retract and mount. 1/16 plywood and some black ultracote. 3/8 square balsa stock was used on the inside of the fuse for the #2 screws to hold the cover and wheel well.

Crazy4Flight 12-31-2007 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After dinner I installed the air valve and servo for the retracts. Added a restrictor to the out put of the valve to slow the gear operation down a bit. At normal operating pressures the will slam up and down.

Next is a dry fit assembly of the airframe, all servo leads and air lines pulled thru and hooked up.

Set the end points for the retract servo & tested out the gear and all threework! :)

A dry CG check, with gear up, places the Rx battery under the fuel tank.
Gear up because the nose gear wieght shift aft.
With this plane not much weight (foam tire and wire strut)or moment (length of strut).
But on a much larger plane or jet you woud have several ounces at 3.5" or more moving the CG.

Crazy4Flight 01-06-2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished, all the rigging, final routing of air and servo leads. Mounted a balsa brace to hold air tank in place, mount deans miniwhip in the canopy, cut trimmed & mounted canopy to the airframe. Removed covering from fin panels and fuselage for final epoxie glue assembly. BEFORE the final glue all systems were cheched and tested. Once wings fins & stab glued together fishing wires and airlines next to impossible.

Air fill port and switch/charge jack both installed with 1/32 plywood doubler. The balsa skin is very soft.

A block of balsa stock sanded to fit the inside of the canopy and epoxied in place.
Double sided foam tape (from a Hitec servo) holds the Deans Mini Whip in place.

Flyingwill commence in the spring!

Crazy4Flight 05-26-2008 05:17 PM

FLIGHT REPORT:

Had to add tail wight to balance.

Ailerons programmed as Elevons Futaba 9CAP radio, Elevator is set to instrcution manual and working

first flight needed some up trim CG about 3/8" forward from suggestion.

Ailerons very Hot, needed to be dial down and add some expo.

take off straight and tru, gear UP now lets get going!
It need a bit of aileron trim, rolls were fast and axial. loops a bit notchy to uch elevator.

nasty cross wind but the dual rudders added helped out, need to carry a little power on final.

first landing I bounced it a burp of power and a nice flare put it down on the pavement.

Second flight not so good.

FIREWALL FAILED IN FLIGHT! Hard left turn due to the left thrust about 5 degrees !

Resulted in a spin. Cut the power and deadsticked into the brush. wings and fuse took heavy damage.

this plane won't fly again.

$80.00 on sale is an OK price for this arf but the standard going rate is too much.

Crazy4Flight 05-31-2008 02:20 PM

Additional:

After the total dissassembly there was a lot of damage interal to the fuse...failed glue joints & crqaked formers, wings held up OK.
Well well liners shattered, and the gear was up.
Also the Balsa skin is very soft, saves on weight but dents with ease.

I had High hopes for this plane but it is in the trash now.

For those who wish to try their luck wait for the next sale ....
And reach way back under the long turtle deck and glue that firewall in place.

i3dm 09-10-2008 07:11 AM

Has anyone actually managed to fly one of these with good success ?

Crazy4Flight 09-10-2008 04:09 PM

for the time i had it did fly well. but i missed fixing the firewall b4 it failed.

nice laser cut ribs ect.

balsa very soft = very light ... wing and fuse sheeting dents with ease.

PapaJim 10-01-2019 06:49 AM

I know this is a very old thread but I have a kangaroo that I need to fly or crash. Can't even try unless somebody knows where the CG point is. I have no manual.