RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   GP P-6E Hawk, what gas engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7123401-gp-p-6e-hawk-what-gas-engine.html)

tenacious101010 02-23-2008 11:59 AM

GP P-6E Hawk, what gas engine?

Thanks to the swap meet at the field today, I am the proud owner of a P-6E and am thinking a 25 size gas engine would be a good size for this plane. I already have a G-38, I know it doesnt need this much power but has anyone put this engine in their Hawk?
Thanks, Denny

ChrisK-RCU 02-23-2008 01:17 PM

RE: GP P-6E Hawk, what gas engine?

There is a huge thread on this airplane located here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3401831/tm.htm

khodges 02-23-2008 06:31 PM

A guy in our club has a G-38 in his, it will almost climb straight up. The weight is about right, it balanced perfectly, but just doesn't need that much. A G-26 or similar would be great.

BOUND_4_HELL 02-24-2008 02:58 PM

Go ahead and put the 38 in her, you will not be disappointed....... I have one and I had an Evolution G26 in it and it did not have nearly enough power, it could not even hover. I'm in the process of putting a Fuji 43EI in her. You can never have enough power; call me crazy but all my R/C planes can go straight up like the space shuttle. There nothing like going to the field and pointing the nose straight up and keep on going up for as long as you want, and then watching everyone reaction as their jaws drop. If you want to fly scale, which in my opinion is boring as hell you can always fly it at half throttle.

BOUND_4_HELL
You can never have too much power, as you can always throttle back.

nitro wing 02-25-2008 12:05 AM

:eek:

A Fuji 43,what a heavy gutless heap,what a waste of a nice plane.

I am an accomplished aerobatic 3D pilot,but sometimes its nice to tone it down a notch.
I am considering this Curtiss to fly it as a scalish,disciplined manner,just enough power to carry a good upline with a roll or two,and fly a basic aerobatic sequence.
It is a fact that it takes more skill to take off in a shallow climb with rudder and keep a heading and enter a clean turn,versus the full power straight up climb.Who cares,anyone and most sport planes can do that nowadays...It is also alot more difficult to pull off aerobatics,when you dont count on excess power to pull you out of botched move.
Sounds like this Bipe is a good bargain at the moment.

tenacious101010 02-25-2008 03:41 PM

I am definatly leaning towards the G-38, since there is no spinner, I would like to use a spring start. The engine with the cup mount is a bit big for the existing firewall mount. Looks like I will have to modify it. If anyone has any pictures or details of this installation, I would greatly appreciate and input.
Thanks, Denny

BOUND_4_HELL 02-26-2008 09:13 PM

Hi Denny,
I'm glad that you are going to install the larger engine in the P-6E. I promise you will not be disappointed and you will have a lot of fun with it.

Nitro Wing,
You misunderstood me and I take full responsibility. We are talking about having fun in this hobby are we not??, for me it’s all about the fun factor. I never meant to imply that it was harder to fly with power. You are absolutely 100% correct, it’s a lot harder to fly an underpowered plane in scale fashion doing scale aerobatics. However, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, let me tell you, it’s a lot of fun. I mean way more fun than a man should be allowed to have; flying scale models with a more thrust to weight engine installed, and be able to do (not that you must always do them), most of the 3D manoeuvres, with non 3D Bi-planes from WWI or WWII, with smoke on.

BOUND_4_HELL

khodges 02-26-2008 11:26 PM

Well, at least you can put a proper prop on it, something that'll take off your entire hand, and not just a finger:). I think the ads showing this plane with a dinky little 3-blade are a hoot. I also like a healthy power reserve, and, that's why these things have a throttle.

Just be careful of how much you give it on takeoff with the G-38. With that much power it will torque roll and snap on you if you aren't careful. Roll it on and be ready to use quite a bit of right rudder, don't come off too early. The thing looks great in the air.

nitro wing 02-27-2008 12:12 AM

Sure power is nice,problem is,when you get to a heavier gasser like a G 38,the wingloading will become to a point,where scale speed is not possible,and very slow turns will become a daring exercise and aerobatics will become toylike and unrealistic.I dont own this aircraft,nor have I seen one fly.I would need to fly it to really make a decision and a solid comment.But if a a 120 flies it well a G 38 or Fuji 43 will only add chunkiness and loose the desired character most seek.
Its up to the pilot,but most who would buy the Curtiss would prefer to putz around the sky,rather than hang off the prop and do KE passes??

BOUND_4_HELL 02-27-2008 01:12 AM

Not a lot of people know this unless you own one of these ARF’s made by Great Planes. The P-6E Hawk or my favorite plane of all time the PT-17 Stearmen, both are short coupled bi-planes and therefore need a lot of extra weight in the nose to balance them, if you put a 120 in them, as the manual recommends. The P-6E Hawk needs 16 oz of lead in the nose and the PT-17 needs 18 oz to balance.

It seams like the designers at Great Planes are encouraging you to put a larger gasser in them. They even give you a nice thick and strong firewall, and ground clearance for a larger propeller. “Thanks Great Planes”.

Because of this you do not lose any wing loading and both planes are low to begin with the P-6 Hawk has a wing loading of 25 and the Pt-17 has a wing loading of 24 oz/sq ft this includes the big gas engine in them. These Bi-planes with a bigger motor have an enormous flight envelope, from very slow to very fast and all the thrilling aerobatics in-between. Once you fly one of these bi-planes with a big gasser in them, I guarantee; it will become the one you take to the field the most often, cause depending on your mood that day, you can fly it, any which way you want.

BOUND_4_HELL

nitro wing 02-27-2008 01:32 AM

You do raise a good point,some planes just dont benefit from light engines,as they need all the weight up front.
But you are telling me,if I built this one with an OS 120,I would have to add one full pound of of lead or whatever to the firewall to get a CG?
I have build 60 aircraft,some needed a few ounces here and there,but a full pound of weight in the nose is something I would argue to be completely incorrect. As stated I dont own it,and cant make definate statement.

nitro wing 02-27-2008 01:46 AM

From the other thread,someone flew it with corect CG using a YS 120 and battery on engine box.

BOUND_4_HELL 02-27-2008 02:00 AM

I own both of these planes and that’s what the manual tells you to do. They even include a weight box in the kit, so you can put all the led into it and close it up tight. You can down load the manual at the Tower Hobbies’ web site, it will say on page 30 that with an OS 120 four stroke the P-6E Hawk will need 16 oz of weight in the box to start with.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLDU9&P=ML

BOUND_4_HELL

nitro wing 02-27-2008 02:05 AM

Yikes,maybe that is why it weighs in at 14 pounds or so.
Well it is a gas engine thread,so better get it back on track.Not sure what I'd use if I had one.
A 26 is easily available,but..

BOUND_4_HELL 02-27-2008 02:21 AM

The weight is not a problem with the low wing loading, They are also built like a brick sh#t house, so they will take the extra pounding and they are the most stable planes I’ve ever flown, with a really wide flight envelope. I highly recommend both planes but the P-17 is my favorite.

BOUND_4_HELL

gary van dyke 02-27-2008 12:18 PM

I have this model flying with a YS 120 with straight pipe exhaust and a 3600mah battery mounted on the engine box. I also did the scale tailwheel modification with internal linkage to the radio compartment which I am sure added some weight to the tail. It balanced perfectly at the recomended CG with no additional weght or even the weight box.

tenacious101010 02-27-2008 03:47 PM

Looks like a lot of different opinions and experiences. I am going for the G-38 and will post the results.

Bobcraft 03-01-2008 09:19 PM

My P6E flew today on it's maiden flight. That is some beautiful airplane in the air. It was refreshing to see a model fly like the airplane it replicated. This bird is powered with a Magnum .91, spinning a 15X6 prop. Not enough power you say, it flew perfectly, most of the time it was almost full throttle, until it was time to land. Then we realized that the airplane would fly on 1/2 throttle just as nice as it did full bore.

About the C/G; I had mounted 2 ea, 2 ounce weights to get the C/G right. During the first flight, something fell from the airplane and after considerable inspections, we decided that it must have hit a bug or something similar. Without taking the cowling off, we could not find anything missing. We flew it again without any problem. After getting back to the house, and removing the cowling, I could not believe the weights were missing. It flew well without them. Think I'll rebalance it.

Final note: I do not fly my models any more since I've had a couple of strokes and it has effected my eyes. I build with a magnifing glass on a headband. I was so excited with the slow flight of the P6E I asked my son (the pilot) for the controls and flew a couple of passes, it felt great.

Bob C

tenacious101010 03-01-2008 09:39 PM

Bob, That is great that you flew it, must have felt pretty good. Like you, I like them flying scale, I am using a G-38 for several reasons, I like gas more than glow, this engine seems to be about the right weight and It is an engine I can use for other projects. It doesnt hurt that I have extra power just in case. I will have to pay careful attention to the C/G, let us know where you end up having the CG at.
I am still assembling mine, have the wings, tailfeathers, landing gear and the plastic fairings on. I have made an aluminum mounting plate and extensions made to mount the G-38. I will use a spring starter and a flat plate mount instead of the cup mount. I will post pictures when I have the engine ready to install. It really looks great, a very cool plane.
Denny

BOUND_4_HELL 03-09-2008 02:08 AM

Check out this video on You Tube and you will see what a P-6E Hawk can do with a Fuji 43EI gas engine. Why would you want to fly circuits and do loop and rolls when you can fly this bird like this. Great Space Shuttle with smoke on and more.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqoGpRlYAmg&

BOUND_4_HELL

RACJ 03-09-2008 10:36 AM

Thanks for video. I have one P6-E with Saito150GK with detailed cockpit and few other scale extras,BUT I have another P6-E NIB I was going to sale. I have a new BCMA40cc gasser I might just build second one and put it in. You're right ,that video made it look like a real blast to fly.

tenacious101010 03-09-2008 03:21 PM

I think if you look closely you will find that was computer generated, not a video of a plane flying. Notice how it is always at the exact center of the screen? Too funny !

BOUND_4_HELL 03-09-2008 04:17 PM

Yes it's a simulation from Real Flight G3.5, captured with FRAPS movie maker. I'm was not trying to fool anyone, I thought it would be obvious that it was a simulation.

I just wanted to show what you can do by installing a big honking motor into one of these great Biplanes form pre WWII.

Stay Tuned to You Tube I will post the real video from my P-6E Hawk when springs comes and I can go out to the field, at present we have 3 feet of snow. You will be able to see the first pre-WWII hovering Bi-plane, doing a space Shuttle, some nice flat spins and knife edge like there is no tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQGS4k4Yg8

BOUND_4_HELL

Bobcraft 03-10-2008 06:22 AM

I understand the Simulator 3.5 flight. Where did you get the P6e model? I don't have that one, would like to get it.

Bob

tenacious101010 03-10-2008 02:49 PM

I started a new post showing the G-38 install in case anyone else was considerng the same engine in this plane. I have included pictures and will add more pictures as I go along. The name of that thread is; P-6e ARF with a Zenoah G-38.
Denny