RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 RV-8 .46 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8613286-hangar-9-rv-8-46-arf.html)

bigedmustafa 03-24-2009 08:47 PM

Hangar 9 RV-8 .46 ARF

1 Attachment(s)
The folks at Hangar 9 are releasing a very nice looking new Sport/Scale RV-8 ARF in a .40-size. The airframe appears to be equally well suited for glow or electric power. There is an awful lot of white Ultracote on the top and bottom of the wings, but the pilot looks very scale. This should be a very fun plane to fly!

I'll try to post more information and/or release dates as details become available.

pdansalvish 03-25-2009 06:16 AM

RE: Hangar 9 RV-8 .46 ARF

Nice picture..Must have came out a magazine. There is nothing on Horizon's web site...

outdoorhunting 03-25-2009 06:36 AM

Nice looking plane. Although, all that white, I would think you could lose it while flyng in cloudy weather. Nothing that a little "custom " graphics " wouldn't cure.

sj3cub 03-25-2009 03:25 PM

That for sure is a good looking RV-8 . I like it alot better that the GP RV-4 version. I swear, I am going to go broke.

RVator 03-26-2009 08:02 AM

I wish it was 100 size.

bigedmustafa 04-04-2009 08:37 AM

Did Hangar 9/Horizon show this new RV-8 at their Toledo display booth?

gnirwin 04-04-2009 09:07 AM

Yes, I saw this plane yesterday at Toledo. The plane looked nice, nothing spectacular, but still very nice. I think they were pricing it at just a little over 200 dollars and if that is correct it should be a popular plane. athis might be more fun electric.

vupilot 04-04-2009 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I too saw it at Toledo friday. It was listed as available in May for 229$ I'm pretty familiar with the full scale RV-8 and the model was very nicely proportioned in comparison to the full-scale. Nice scale color scheme also, not overly done so you have plenty of room to personalize it.
I plan to buy one and maybe even put a .60 2 stroke in it. I thought it was 60 size until I read further down. They had a picture of one with a .46 2 stroke and the muffler barely stuck out of the cowl and did not detract from the looks much at all. A Pitts muffler would completely stay within the cowl I'd bet. Also this model has flaps. VERY nice and a very reasonable price.

Daniel-EL 07-14-2009 11:56 AM

Well, I ordered one, then saw that it was "back ordered". (sigh) Wonder if this is another ARF waiting for that slow boat from China to arrive.:eek: The good news is that the price is affordable. The bad news is there aren't any.:D

MormonMike 07-14-2009 03:36 PM

I've had mine back-ordered for two months. What's the latest on this, another month more to wait ?. [sigh :eek: ] MM

MormonMike 07-16-2009 04:28 PM

The latest, Now it's early August........... then late August, then early September, than late September etc, etc. :eek: MM

Daniel-EL 07-18-2009 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

The latest, Now it's early August........... then late August, then early September, than late September etc, etc. :eek: MM
Great! I was wondering what I'd do for a winter project.[:@]

Daniel-EL 07-31-2009 05:28 PM

Hey, good news! The RV-8s are in and ready for shipping. Just got a call from Horizon this afternoon with the notice. Mine should be here early next week. I'm trying to decide what engine to put in it now. I have a YS 53, an Enya 53, and an Enya 40BBw/Pitts muffler, all running well and all needing a home. Decisions, decisions.......[&:]

MormonMike 08-02-2009 08:43 PM

Yo Daniel, The same for me too. I'll be installing Saito .82 with reinforced firewall of course. Now if H-9 will just consider making their RV-9 in a glow version [ and they just might :D ] Hope the shipper did'nt throw a couple of tires on my parcel during transit. MM

eagle09tbl 08-15-2009 01:03 PM

Have you received the RV-8 yet? Been watching this one closely.

Hope you are able to give an update on it and thanks !

flynte 08-30-2009 04:37 PM

Ordered mine today...going to give the magnum 70 a go. Haven't tried any magnums yet, all my fs are saitos.

flynte

flynte 09-03-2009 01:43 AM

Bird showed up the other other day,,,,flawless covering ,first time I hit that...thought it was just fishing stories I was reading about other planes previously :D. Other than looking it over and stretching it out over the bench..haven't had anytime to get into it as were setting up a field right now while waiting for MAAC approval and the engine and servos to show up. More to come later.

flynte

flynte 09-21-2009 12:04 AM

Finally got started. The Magnum 70 was almost an in cowl fit, the front half of the tappet cover over shoots the cowl by 3/16"..grrr, oh well. I put a remote glow igniter on it and the only thing showing is the cover. The muffler lined up well, and was able to poke a hole through the firewall and bottom of the fuse and install a exhaust deflector and save any cutting of the cowl. Had to use ball links on the elevator halves as the installed horns didn't quit jive with the pushrod exits and was binding. If using a dubro 2 3/4" spinner make sure you move the motor ahead at least a good 1/8 as the spinner back plate is recessed and ended up rubbing on the cowl with the recommended 4 3/8 spacing. I did have an aluminum spinner kicking around with a flat back plate and it's spaced well. That's as far as I got and will post some pics in the morning. Just got LG to install and install the servos and linkages onto the wings and start fiddling with balance.

flynte

flynte 09-21-2009 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some pics now. Another thing I had to do also was to use larger arms on the elevator servo to get things to line up as the stock ones didn't extend far enough to line up with pushrod exits. Same as the elevator I had to use a larger arm on the rudder to achieve the high rate throw. There is an air exit on the bottom of the cowl but I did add some escape holes also to help with cooling. So back to bench to get some more done on it.

flynte

flynte 09-22-2009 01:47 PM

Nobody else have one? [sm=confused.gif] I'm going to finish up the wings tonight, but dug around last nite and found I was one y harness short, got it ordered and should have it tomorrow or the next day. Will break in the engine tommorrow also and should be able to maiden fri nite or sat. It's a nice looking bird for sure and look forward to see it doing a low pass down the line!

flynte

BountyHunter51 09-22-2009 06:39 PM

Hi Flynte, I've been following along. Thanks for the info that you've been posting. I'm looking for the updates.
I've been thinking of adding one of these to the fleet.
Cheers! BH

bigedmustafa 09-22-2009 07:47 PM

Not to worry, flynte, just because we're not replying a whole bunch doesn't mean we're not following along! I'm looking forward to reading about your first flights.

flynte 09-24-2009 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well unfortunately, were not going to get the maiden this weekend, unless a phone call can produce. Here's the deal, I thought I was one Y short, which I thought I was, BUT !! this is my first time with flaps..after picking up the package today, and hooking everything up, it became VERY clear I need to learn about flaps and reversing Y's. Have a half dozens Y's tossed into stock. ;) Reason being...flaps travel the same direction [sm=stupid.gif] Hey..i'm still new! Anyhow, got aileron throw setup and flap trim setup with "one flap" only, other one unplugged. Did prelim balance...took 2oz on tail to balance, but this is with the current placement as per previous pics. Got gobbs of room to reposition the 2000maH batt. I did have an issue with the recessed Dubro spinner and had to go with the aluminum one which was a weight penalty. But I'm going to keep it!! More later!

flynte

flynte 09-24-2009 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Missed the balance shot. Sorry!

flynte

lear31A 09-24-2009 11:46 PM

couple of things you could try. First, maiden it without using flaps at all. Or you could turn one flap servo over and use a shorter/longer linkage to get the servo to move in the same direction, lastly and the easiest is to program your radio for the flaps and you do not need a Y harness at all or reverser. (assuming you have a radio capable of this) looks nice, good luck