RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8922593-%2Ahangar-9-new-pulse-125%2A.html)

Ken Cz 03-20-2010 02:36 PM

RE: *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Anyone know if HH-H9 have made any changes to correct the H-Stab/Elevator problems on the Pulse 125?
Ken

IALINEM 03-20-2010 04:29 PM

As far as I know H9 never addressed the problem of weak design of the stab & elevator of the Pulse 125. I replaced mine with a stab & elevator of solid 5/16 balsa of my own design, but it didn't matter much because the wing failed (folded at junction of the wing tube and outer panel) on the 10th. flight. I think this plane should never have seen the light of day !

Lotsofcrashes 03-20-2010 04:32 PM

Wow, thats bad.

Ken Cz 03-20-2010 06:05 PM

Wow - I think I'll pass on the Pulse 125 or at least hold off awhile.
I have had the smaller Pulse's ( 4 of them) and loved them but this sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed.

I had a H9 Showtime 90 that suffered a massive structural failure of the wing on the maiden flying level at 5/8 throttle.
Wing ripped away from the wing tube supporting structure. HH was very good about it and since they no longer produced that plane
they replaced it with a new Funtana 125 which I am now enjoying. I had a problem but they made it right - Customer service like this I do not get from the
other "BIG" Supplier.

KC

Lotsofcrashes 03-20-2010 06:15 PM

I agree, I have never liked the way H9 keep so quiet about production or design problems. Its just silence. They aren't on their own though.<div>I love the look of the Pulse 125 but it hasn't arrived in Australia yet so I have been just watching. Given feedback from this thread on whats been happening I might just wipe it from my list though. </div><div>Some of H9 planes are great, but some not so good.</div>

dmohring 03-21-2010 09:29 AM

I have written several posts regarding my experiences with the Pulse 125. Did my repairs and mods to the horz stab and the plane is flying great now. Wrote to Horizion Hobby several time about the problems, but have yet to receive a reply. Believe H9 doesn't want to deal with the problem.

Pete Bergstrom 03-21-2010 06:16 PM

Gentleman,

It is difficult to respond to problems such as these when we have not been able to duplicate them in our own aircraft. That being said I have personnally inspected all the returned airplanes that you have sent in to our product support and I have made revisions to the setup for the elevator. We have a new round of airplanes coming into stock soo that will have the revised tail horizontal stab/elevator assemblies.

From what I have seen in the parts returned it is obvious the joiner wire between the two halves of the elevator is too weak, allowing the non-driven halve of the elevator to flex. We have changed this to a 5mm joiner wire.

To stop any air from migrating from on side of the surface to the other we have sealed the hinge line after gluing the hinge in place.

Regarding the hinges that were loose it is difficult tell if this happen pre/post flutter but I have personally taught the gluing method to the factory (I'm in China now).

We have gone to a reinforced pushrod assembly as it exits the fuselage.

For those of you who would an upgraded horizontal stab assembly we will have them available within a few weeks at Horizon. Please contact our product support staff for help with this issue. 800-338-4639. Randy Green is the lead tech on this issue.

Pete

Lotsofcrashes 03-21-2010 06:38 PM

Pete, thank you for the feedback. Its understandable that things like this can occur, but when it does  its really important for people to know that something is being done about it. <div>I truly like the look of this plane and if it ever arrives in Australia I may just pick up one from the new batch.</div><div>
</div><div>I have the Saratoga and the 125 reminds me of that plane in a larger size. Its a pity the Saratoga isnt bigger. The thing about the Saratoga is that it noses over badly when fueled up, but flight reviews say this isnt so. Its a great little flyer, excellent build quality and good style. Can you advise me if there are plans to alter the design to get rid of that problem ?</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Anyway, the bottom line I guess would be a product feedback and model upgrade page on the H9 website. Now that would be great for us and the H9 team.</div><div>
</div><div>Regards,</div>

Ken Cz 03-21-2010 08:05 PM

Pete,
Thanks for taking the time to update the modeling community on your findings.
I have always got 'outstanding' support from Horizon and will continue to be a loyal customer.
Just like anything manmade, sooner or later there may be a problem - the difference is Horizon makes it right and takes care of the customer! That has certainly been my experience from the smallest Pulse to my Giant Showtime 90.
Too bad we can't say that about most other Manufacturers.

Best-
Ken Cz-

dmohring 03-22-2010 10:25 AM

Pete:

Thank you for coming forward and recognizing that this is a problem that a number of modelers have had including myself. It certainly sounds like you are on the right road toward eliminating the flutter problem that I experienced several times. The changes you are making are similar to what I have done to my horizontal stabilizer and elevator. I sheeted the bottom of the stab with 1/16 balsa, installed a Y push rod to drive both sides of the elevator and put clear tape between the stab and elev for a gap seal.

My plane now flies great. This was my first low wing model and it was pretty frustrating.

Thank you again,

Diedrich Mohring

AngLeo 03-23-2010 07:40 PM

Yes,Yes PETE....thanks for the post.And horizon has gave me Excellent service, and have 6 HH planes...incl. a FUNTANA 125. And after stiffening the tail and making adjustments....My Pulse 125 is one of my best flying planes.I love it.Thanks again!

sasec 05-21-2010 03:33 PM

Regarding the Hanger 9, Pulse-125. Early reports @ RCU [here] are filled w/ elevator issues & nose overs... confirming my observations.

Seems something is very much wrong w/ this beautiful “up-sized” ARF: the elevator and gear issues have been encountered.

I am moments away from going in many directions w/ the new Pulse 125!!!! None being to the field however, as I do not want to risk my engine, radio etc.

My father and I both purchased the ARF, he flew his first [fortunately???!!!!]. His vertical stabilizer failed within minutes.- Left elevator hinges separated, dragging 1/2 the elevator behind.- he managed to get it safely to the ground.

I contacted hanger 9 last week; they are backordered for a "replacement designed" stabilizer [June-ish]. My father obtained an improved stab just days ago, installed it... it too failed in first minutes of test flight. This time, the beefed up elevator connecting wire caused greater damage to the rear fuselage when the whole stab torqued around as the elevator separated. Again, he got it to the ground. Skill beats out youth every time; and at times like these, I always say: “better he than me”.

Gear? Raked too far back. Plane has a tendency to nose-over; even during engine run.- Totally unsafe.

Fix(s). Numerous changes needed, biggest steps include: 1) replace pushrods [w/ full length outer casing, inner sleeve and center rod] and modify for dual, L/R elevator rods/horns, 2) replace gear w/ one custom built [relocating wheel skirt holes becomes an issue], and 3) incorporate hints and suggestions noted in earlier/other posts.

Beautiful airplane but builds like a kit; yet not priced as one. Then there is the cost of modification parts. :-(

ORIGINAL: PTS

I also glued a piece of carbon rod on outside of the factory flimsy pushrod on the elevator to help with some of the rear flex problems. Also I soldered a clevis on the servo end of the elevator rod and got rid of the useless z-bend which allows play...

sasec 05-21-2010 07:48 PM

Regarding the Hanger 9, Pulse-125. Early reports @ RCU [here] are filled w/ elevator issues & nose-over(s)... confirming my observations.

Seems something is very much wrong w/ this beautiful “up-sized” ARF: the elevator and gear issues have been encountered.

I am moments away from going in many directions w/ the new Pulse 125!!!! None being to the field however, as I do not want to risk my engine, radio etc.

My father and I both purchased the ARF, he flew his first [fortunately???!!!!]. His vertical stabilizer failed within minutes.- Left elevator hinges separated, dragging 1/2 the elevator behind.- he managed to get it safely to the ground.

I contacted hanger 9 last week; they are backordered for a "replacement designed" stabilizer [June-ish]. My father obtained an improved stab just days ago, installed it... it too failed in first minutes of test flight. This time, the beefed up elevator connecting wire caused greater damage to the rear fuselage when the whole stab torqued around as the elevator separated. Again, he got it to the ground. Skill beats out youth every time; and at times like these, I always say: “better he than me”.

Gear? Raked too far back. Plane has a tendency to nose-over; even during engine run.- Totally unsafe.

Fix(s). Numerous changes needed, biggest steps include: 1) replace pushrods [w/ full length outer casing, inner sleeve and center rod] and modify for dual, L/R elevator rods/horns, 2) replace gear w/ one custom built [relocating wheel skirt holes becomes an issue], and 3) incorporate hints and suggestions noted in earlier/other posts. For the gear: hanger 9, you going to replace the design????

Beautiful airplane but builds like a kit; yet not priced as one. Then there is the cost of modification parts. And don't forget the safety issues. :-(

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...#ixzz0oc7XY0hs

CGP08 05-21-2010 08:08 PM

The is a supplement to post #62. I am the dad in WA State who flew his Pulse 125 twice, and before my son in Mesa flew his. On the first flight, I took off and made a climbing counter-clockwise turn as I throttled back to about 1/2. Suddenly, hardly w/o warning, the left elevator flew off. In retrospect, I know it must have fluttered. The crossover wire was 3 mm on that stab. On the second flight after stab replacement by HH, I had almost an exact reoccurance of the first flight. Except the flutter could be heard by all at the field and again, the left elevator flew off. On this stab, the crossover wire was 4 mm. In both cases, the left leg of the crossover wire simply ripped out of the thin remaining balsa. Also, on the second stab, the front spar was snapped on the right side and the push rod was badly bent in the unsupported 6 inches it sticks out. On the first stab, the rear spar was snapped on the left side and no damage occured to the right side. The crossover wires on both stabs had almost no adhesive on the legs, allowing the wire to simply rip out of the thin remaining balsa. In my opinion, increasing the wire to 5 mm is wrong and won't solve anything because there isn't sufficient strength in the supporting structure. I firmly recommend split push rods from the common servo. I use Sullivan semi-flexible outer tubes, then a Teflon inner tube that is a slip fit which I get from Hobby Lobby and last I use .072 piano wire threaded one end which I get from the hobby shop locally. The latter is a perfect slip fit inside the Teflon tube. I glue both push rod tubes side-by-side onto a 1/4 x 1/2 balsa plank that is inserted into the fuse and supported by cross members. These tubes spread at the rear of the fuse and exit to the elevators. Note here that the support tubes carry on to the control horns, less the distance for the clevis. At the servo end, I solder the push rods together and use a Z bend on the servo arm. There is NO flexing with this arrangement. As for the crossover wire, I intend to cut it at the hinge line such that it doesn't exist. In this setup, it isn't needed. If it is gone, it CANNOT tear out of the elevator. Sealing the hinge line is not a bad idea. I doubt it is necessary with the above rigging - let's say it is optional. If flutter is still encountered, the best final fix is to counter balance the elevators using fishing weights. Easy to do, but I may not feel the need on this one. If I hear a flutter, I will add the counter weights.

With respect to that silly swept back landing gear. I have ordered a custom made one from TNT Landing Gear. It'll just be the standard straight down gear. It won't be the very pretty setup that H9 designed, but it sure as heck will be functional. I personally think that swept gear is dangerous because an unsuspecting user can have the prop dig into a table, fracture and allow a piece of the prop to hit someone.

Good luck to all. This looks like it might ultimately be a fun airplane.

AngLeo 05-21-2010 08:58 PM

Ahhhh...yes.It is a fun plane.If ya follow my previous posts here,it is very easy to set-up a dual elevator servo control.Yes it is flutter tearing the tail apart,and the duals work great.ALSO noted the stab is a little flimsy,and I stiffened.And I pinned and sealed the tail flaps,also add CA,on the two I had come apart there is a lack of glue there.After these mods,ya need no counter,and the wire can stay right in there,just be careful when ya set-up the radio so the servos(I use hi-torque 3010) wont tear it apart.NOW she flies GREAT! Smooth and alot of fun,its so easy to fly you can concentrate on tricks/stunts more.Its worth the extra work...........and almost all ARFS need extra work.

CGP08 05-22-2010 07:36 PM

Re Post #64. This is an adder to what I wrote. I pulled the tail off the Pulse today to go to work on the new push rod tubes and Lo-and-Behold, the second stab had the hinge line sealed. I hadn't noticed it before. So much for sealing the gap!!! It obviously doesn't prevent very much, if anything. I spent about 5 hours today and have now finished the installation of the new push rod tubes as I described in Post #64. I have installed two tubes for the elevators and also one for the rudder. I'm replacing the whole system. It turned out to be very easy and straightforward. I can't continue until the new stab arrives, but at least this is done.

With respect to the fix being proposed by H9, here's the approx. measurements on the second stab. The elevator thickness is about 0.232 inches and the 4 mm crossover wire is .157 inches. The difference divided by 2 is .038 inches which is about 1/32" and reflects the amount of balsa above and below the wire. Without hardly any epoxy in the wire holes or retained on the wire, that simply isn't strong enough to withstand any flutter. Making the wire 5 mm as noted in the proposed fix would only exacerbate the situation. The wire isn't bending, the unsecured left elevator is simply ripping away from the crossover wire.

I have two Funtanas. The first is the older yellow Italian version and the second is the Funtana 125. Like the Pulse 125, these are also powered by the OS 1.20 nice engine. I use a Perry Pump as well. On these Funtanas I moved the servos up forward using the exact same setup that I described previously. No flutter, no how.

LargeScale88 05-24-2010 08:54 PM

Do you guys think a Saito 100 would pull the pulse 125 pretty good? Its in the range of 4 strokes but it sounds like you guys are going bigger.

I just had a Saito 100 on the bench and wanted the Hangar 9 pulse 125.

I'm looking more at good flight characteristics then "extreme" aerobatics.

Thanks

w8ye 05-24-2010 09:26 PM

I'm sure it will take it around the patch OK

AngLeo 05-24-2010 10:27 PM

Sure it would,would fly nice.

LargeScale88 05-25-2010 05:59 PM

I really don't get it. Because the Pulse 60, the saito 100 is the largest 4 stroke they used. Then the Pulse 125 only 3 inchers bigger on eage side of wing for the wingspan. Confusing. Its only suppost to weigh like another pound or 2 which is nothing.

CGP08 06-23-2010 05:16 PM

This is an addendum to my post #66. I have finished the rework of the Pulse 125, redoing the push rods (new split elevator push rods and a new rudder push rod as well) and I have installed the new landing gear I got from TNT Landing Gear. I also repaired the first stab that came with the plane. It had the 3 mm cross over wire and the trailing edge spar was broken on the left side. With respect to the cross over wire, it is stiff as can be there is no flexing that thing. Going to 5 mm as suggested by HH is silly. I did find that on the second stab (which was badly damaged by flutter), H9 had installed small plywood inserts (hard to see) perpendicular to the inserted cross over wire legs as retainers. Great workmanship and entirely adequate for the purpose. This second stab had 4 mm wire and, of course, was even tougher to try to bend. Anyway, the stab was all busted up on the right (push rod) side so I did not bother to try to repair it. Although the first stab was made of lighter materials, I figured it would be good enough when repaired. I did not use the cross over wire with my new dual push rod set up.

I have wrung out my Pulse 125 trying to see if there is any problem left and guess what!!!! No flutter, and no problems. The repaired stab is fine. There is NO slop in the elevators (incidentally, the elevators on both stabs were undamaged by the flutter) and the new landing gear works great. I would have preferred 5/32" aluminum, but TNT's choices are 1/8" or 3/16". I chose the latter and it works great with maybe a 1-1/2 oz penalty. The plane doesn't care it accelerates going straight up on my OS 1.20 which is still breaking in.

The new version replacement stabs have still not arrived as I write this, but they really are not necessary. The original version was setup for dual push rods as noted by the fact that there were screw holes on both the left and right elevator halves for mounting the control horns. The holes on the left side were then dropped on the second version. I suspect that the mfg guys cut that back to a single push rod and thereby induced the problem. Too bad! The fix is simply dual, slop free, fully supported push rods to each elevator half. If you are waiting on a new stab, I really suggest peeling off the Ultracoat on the bottom and sticking in some new push rods. I understand that carbon fiber tubes and rods will do the job nicely as well as the the type I use. Whatever. Anyway, if you are waiting to buy a Pulse 125, this is a fine flying airplane and you gotta give it a thumbs up for good looks. My new landing gear that isn't swept back looks great as well.

JoeMamma 07-06-2010 04:05 PM

Hi Gang,

Just picked up my 125 today from the local hobby shop.:D

Don't know how long it had been sitting on the hobby shop shelf, so can anybody tell me how to tell if I have the new/latest version ?

I read here about the new 5mm cross-shaft, but I thought somebody said it was changed back to 4mm ???

Thanks,
Joe M.

An afterthought...........I should have checked here at RCU BEFORE my purchase !:eek:

Stephen Wilkowski 07-09-2010 03:41 PM

I have a puse 125 with a saito 115, 5 ds-821 servos and the "stock tail". I have flown the plane 11 times, then i was informed that A LOT of peoples tails were coming off, so i decided to ground the plane. about a month ago i e-mailed hangar-9 and they said the new tails would be i by early July. i called them today 7/9/10 and they are now saying the tails are coming in early august.

JUST WANT ANSWERS, I WANT TO FLY MY PLANE!!!

Stephen Wilkowski

dmohring 07-10-2010 06:20 PM

What I have done to my horizontal stabilizer and elevator. I sheeted the bottom of the stab with 1/16 balsa, installed a Y push rod to drive both sides of the elevator and put clear tape between the stab and elev for a gap seal.

My plane now flies great. This was my first low wing model and it was pretty frustrating

Diedrich Mohring

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...#ixzz0tKBRS7yc

sasec 07-11-2010 05:11 AM

S.W
Suggest that you note that there have also been posts regarding the installation and subsequent failure of the NEW horizontal stabilizer! The consistent "fix" appears to be the use of dual push rods w/ the new stab. Rework of the existing stabilizer is likely to be acceptable as the "up-sized" wire on the improved stab becomes moot w/ the use of dual rods. Likely, you will want to add trim/mono-coat strip on the underside elevator gap to seal it [not certain it provides measurable benefit but it is simple enough to do]. Benefit might exist in light of the fact that a couple more hinges in the elevator might have been helpfull. There is an excellent description of a dual push rod installation @ ~ 2 months ago in blog(s). One recent response stated the builder also sheeted the underside of the stab [or elevator??]…