Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Moving up, next plane?

Old 02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving up, next plane?

Hello there, I'm thinking of moving from foamies (EasyStar, and the pod and boomers) to an all wood plane, and I've fallen for the Sig Rascal electric, 49" wing. Is this plane a good next step? The club I belong to has a short cut grass field, will the wheel pants make for lawn darting? Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Pat
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Moving up, next plane?

ORIGINAL: southernmd_man

Hello there, I'm thinking of moving from foamies (EasyStar, and the pod and boomers) to an all wood plane, and I've fallen for the Sig Rascal electric, 49" wing. Is this plane a good next step? The club I belong to has a short cut grass field, will the wheel pants make for lawn darting? Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Pat
The Sig Rascal would make a good step up. Any high wing trainer type aircraft in that size (45-60") would be a a good step. Wheel pants can be a bit problematic on a grass field (as in pain in the butt). I would consider taking them off until your skills with the aircraft are better honed.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

The Sig Rascal would make a good step up. Any high wing trainer type aircraft in that size (45-60" would be a a good step. Wheel pants can be a bit problematic on a grass field (as in pain in the butt). I would consider taking them off until your skills with the aircraft are better honed.

Sweet...thanks!! I love the lines of this plane.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Is this he right place to ask an ESC question? Here is my question if it is.

I may have crashed my Aero Voyager one time too many and damaged the ESC. I hit the ground pretty hard yesterday after an obvious disorientation experience. Today I put up a 10 minute flight but the motors continuously stopped and started during the flight before the battery finally ran down enough so that I was unable to stay airborne. I have never experienced this phenomena with my Accipiter Badius three channel airplane. Do I need to buy a new ESC for the AV?

Thank you very much for your time.

Rich
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Is this he right place to ask an ESC question? Here is my question if it is.

I may have crashed my Aero Voyager one time too many and damaged the ESC. I hit the ground pretty hard yesterday after an obvious disorientation experience. Today I put up a 10 minute flight but the motors continuously stopped and started during the flight before the battery finally ran down enough so that I was unable to stay airborne. I have never experienced this phenomena with my Accipiter Badius three channel airplane. Do I need to buy a new ESC for the AV?

Thank you very much for your time.

Rich
It could be the esc but it doesn't sound like it. It also may be your motor, battery, or receiver. The only way to find out is to try replacing each component to find out which is the culprit
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Thank you very much! I have some spare motors so I will start there. The AV has always demonstrated the start and stop phenomena near the end of the flight when the battery was getting low.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Thank you very much! I have some spare motors so I will start there. The AV has always demonstrated the start and stop phenomena near the end of the flight when the battery was getting low.
The start and stop is usually a combination of the type of esc/cutoff that is part of the esc software and the battery. High output batteries will usually go full voltage for longer and when you see the voltage dropoff it is very near the useful end of the battery charge.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:09 PM

SAL, you are the Man! It turned out to be my newest battery. The symptom I overlooked was where the battery began to warm up before it was peak charged. I assumed (wrongly) that because I got such a long flight on it that it was surely something else.

Thank you very much! You are my favoriate "go to guy" from now on!

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 02-15-2007, 10:02 AM

You are most welcome!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM

[:)]

Thanks to your help I found my "real problem." Early on I discovered a bad airplane to battery connection and "fixed it," I thought. My poor plug repair job manifested itself after testing my good battery by almost burning my finger and thumb. Having ordered extra male and female plugs I fixed both the bad plug in the plane and the bad plug on the battery that I thought was bad.

I can't wait for better weather so I can wring out my beautiful but now "somewhat war weary" Aero Voyager as I alternate between it and my Badius to allow sufficient "cool down time" between flights.

The e-mail "signature" below is what will be on most of my regular e-mail. If I can just figure out how to use only the "Badius Owner's Club (CONTINUED)" part of the signature on my posts to modeling threads, I will be up to speed.

Thanks again for your priceless work.

Mad Web

----------------------------------------------
madwebtvscientist typed in a search engine window can bring my sites up.

URLs do not work in my e-mail signature anymore. I wonder why. (BADIUS CLUB members have provided some plausible reasons.) I also wonder about the annoying, sometimes intermittent sideways scrolling problem that I cannot correct. This problem exists with other "free energy students" as well.

Type Badius Owner's Club (CONTINUED) into GOOGLE or YAHOO'S search window to see how modeling can be ENJOYED the way it was surely destined to be ENJOYED! CHECK OUT PAGE 1 FIRST.

A CASE FOR FREE ENERGY THAT CANNOT BE DENIED can be typed into the search window of a good search engine to bring up a very useful "behind-the-scenes" influence in the SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION that may be one of the greatest, if not the greatest force influencing the CULTURAL REVOLUTION that is now very well under way. There is nothing as effective for use as a diversion from the multi-trillon $$$$$$ vested interests in the energy status-quo as "our splendid little world war against terror."
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Soldering is a skill that is learned with practice. I think considering we are talking about electric aircraft that it is an important skill. Proper equipment and supplies are very important. When I get back form the WRAM show I am thinking of putting up a thread on the proper equipment and techniques for getting good reliable solder joints.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Sal, thank you for your courage and valor for "holding formation" in the face of such savage flack and fire from some of my "less than brotherly" behaving Badius Brothers! Lesser men would surely have chosen a much more pleasant "mission" by now.

My answer to the question of why there is such violent emotional animosity toward me is that it may be related to the "r" word. Hopefully, there will be an equitable solution that will allow "traditionalist value" modelers to PEACEFULLY CO-EXIST with the "more progressive (?)" values modelers. That is assuming that there is not some darker motive for such explosive outbursts in the obvious "politics of personal destruction" behavior that we have had to experience.

Below is post material that I put on your thread that I was so happy about that I also put it on the Badius thread to encourage/help others who might be having similar problems.

My question today is: What happened to my post with this material that was on your thread?

MISSING POST INFORMATION

Thanks to your help I found my "real problem." Early on I discovered a bad airplane to battery connection and "fixed it," I thought. My poor connector repair job manifested itself after testing my good battery by almost burning my finger and thumb when I grabbed the connector to remove the battery from the plane after testing the motors with the plane being held in my hand.

Having extra male and female connectors handy, I was able fix both the bad connector in the plane and the connector on the battery that was very bad. Everything works better than ever now!

I can't wait for better weather so I can wring out my beautiful but now "somewhat war weary" Aero Voyager as I alternate between it and my Badius to allow sufficient "cool down time" between flights.

Thanks again for your valuable contributions for modeling.

Mad Web [sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM

I was trying to figure that out too! I will send a message to one of the forum managers to see what happened. Might just be just a weird glitch!