Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Ferrite Beads

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrite Beads

Hi

Where can I buy ferrite beads (Ferrite Inductor thoroids) in order to suppress electronic "noise" in my plane's electrical system? I fly using 72 mHz.

Thanks,
Ernie Diaz
"Sailplane"
Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Ferrite Beads

Those little beads may help some, but they are heavy little suckers.
I gave up 72 mhz for the 2.4 ghz offered by Spektrum and have yet to have ANY type of glitch, or loss of signal. The advantages of this 2.4 ghz system seem to just keep revealing themselves.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Don't know whwre yopu can buy them but if you are getting glitches in tyoday's modrn systems you should look for other problems. If the fuselage is Carbon you will need to run the antenna outside the fuse. You should always make sure that your servos extensions are TWISTED and not flat. This will go a long way to curing the problem.

Certainly , I agree that the 2.4 Ghz systems are great for noise issues but the 72 Mhz will wortk fine and you should not need ferrit beads. The DX-7 is a great radio but for the sailplne pilot it is somewhat limited. I am waiting for the DX-9
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Re: Ferrite

WWW.Mouser.com
1800 346-6873

Part # ZCAT1518-0730

Made by TDK the same part horrizon has for $12.00 you can buy for $ .96 cents. WGT, 7 grms

Dave
Old 03-05-2007, 05:14 PM

Re: Ferrite Beads (EMI Suppressors)

damroadhog,
Many, many thanks for the link to ferrite beads. I've been looking for them for a long time The type that I want are: $0.28 ea and if you purchase 10 to 49 of them, there are $0.22 ea. They probably weigh 1 to 2 oz., if that!

Have a great day; it's a beautiful day here in Florida,
Ernie
Sailplane
Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Good for you...Still you should not need to use them with a properly setup radio system. Make sure you are using twisted wire for all you long servo leads and you have a good ground on all servos.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Sal,

Thanks for your advise...
Ernie
Sailplane