Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

How to- big electric conversions

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to- big electric conversions

Hello,

I have been flying parkflyers for awhile and now I want to step up to a 35% airplane. I know what stuff to put on it and everything but I am really confused on how you paralell your packs ( or series) On my parkflyers things are quite simple but here there are many batteries to charge and how you power the receiver with those lipos and stuff. Well basically can you tell me what should I be careful with and how e-things work...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: How to- big electric conversions

Generally you buy the packs already parallel. This site will make up anything you want:
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...gid=liposelect

You can parallel your own packs. If you look on this page you will see a board with multiple deans connectors on it. This can be used to take multiple IDENTICAL 1S packs and parallel them.
http://www.fmadirect.com/category.htm?id=18

As for chargers, you will need a charger that can handle those big packs. this one can handle up to 6S and up to 10 amp charge rates. There are bigger chargers but this might be enough for you. I don't know enough about what you are building or what power system you will be using.
http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=38&nid=4

The Graupner on the bottom of this page can handle 10S lipo packs:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers.htm

www.hobby-lobby.com is an excellent source for help. They can advise you on everything!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM

First of all, if possible try not to parrallel packs. This usually results in in balanced cells. Plus you pay for a lot iof individual cells all connected together. If one goes you have to pretty much junk the whole thing.

If you must go with parrallel packs its usually a better idea to buy series packs and wire them together using a wiring harness. You should buy the packs you need all at once so they will match. Now you can either charge them together or individually, making it both easier to charge and to balance.

With that said if you are going to buy a series/parrallel pack I suggest either going with the TP or Duralite packs. They make sure that the packs are balanced and matched. A better solution is to buy a larger capacity battery and buy these packs in series. For most larger airplanes you will need from 3700 to 6000 mah cpacity batteries. You can purchase these without resorting to a parralllel pack. This makes life much simpler and the packs are easier to charge and balance.

For example: Our Accord 2200 is a 30% airplane. we power the aircraft with a 10s 3700-5000 mah lipolys. Our packs consist of 2 5S packs with a series harness.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Okay, I have decided on the airplane. I am getting a Extreme Flight Yak 54 74".
I am still a little confused on the lipo stuff. Lets say I would get two 5000mah 5s packs and wire them series... that would make a 5000mah 10s pack, correct? Or I could get one 10s 5000mah pack but, I dont know which charger could charge a 10s pack.. I still like the idea of have 2 packs so I was just wondering, do I have to charge those batteries separetly or do I just plug wire them in series and connect them to the charger?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM

I would get two packs as it is easier to manage. You could charge them at the same time or individually. Us e a balancer for each pack if you are charging either way. Use the same charger if charging individually.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Gentlemen,
I'm new to e-flight and would apreciate an advice on the following. I want to make a greatplanes U-CAN-DU 60 electric. Greatplanes suggests using the Rimfire Outrunner brushless 50 55 500 (GPMG4740) with the SS-60 ESC and a 13x8 prop for electric. I'm not interested in high speed nor 3D maneuvers. I want to fly at moderate speeds and be able to do some rolls and loops. I had three eye surgeries, so I have to take it slow. what I would like to know is how large (mAh) lipo battery pack size do I need to be able to fly for 10 minutes. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I thank you in advance.