Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Cycling a Li-po?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycling a Li-po?

Sal, I know how important it is to balance li-po packs, and about cycling nimh packs. I've read that for li-po's it's good to cycle them, and I've also read that it's a waste of time to cycle them. What's your stand on this? Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cycling a Li-po?

Frankly, I don't believe that there is any benefit to cycling a Lipo battery. There is no memory to contend with so what is the point? I do believe that you should take care of a Lipo properly and breakin of the battery will extend its life. The first few charges and discharges should be more gentle that when you go to full use. Charge at only 1C and try to go to only 95% charge. Discharge at 10 or so (based on 20C battery). I like to do this in a practical manner. For example if it is a Helicopter. I would hover for 1 minute or so (stay in ground effect) and land and let the battery rest, repeat this for 2-3 more times (again assuming we are going to get an 8-10 minute flight). Let cool, recharge and repaet this 2 more times or so. Then over the next few charges move toward full use. This is the ideal way, many of you are like me and just put the battery right into full use.