Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Lipo charging/wiring

Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo charging/wiring

Sal,
My (cellpro) Kokam 640 15C lipo seems to drop a cell once under full throttle, so i would like to charge the cells separately if possible to see which cell is bad. The balance connector has 5 wires for a 3cell pack. I have an adaptor to link to a blinky balancer. I guess one of the white wires is not used or connected to anything?
To charge a cell separately do I just connect a white wire and the black wire to charger? Maybe an explanation on how the lipos are wired up would be useful. Thanks a lot

Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Lipo charging/wiring

Is this battery a cellpro or a Kokam? They are not always the same. The easiest way to look at the cells is to put a voltmeter on each cell to see if you have a bad cell. If you do have a bad cell, the best thing to do is either send back the battery if under warranty or to junk them as the possibility of damage to the other cells is highly likely. Yes, you should be able to read the voltage by using either ground and any of the whites. This should be correct, but it doesn't hurt to call FMA for the correct wiring info.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM

It is a cellpro, i checked the voltages of each cell, one was so far gone there is no way it was going to come back. I got a new pack to replace it, don't want to mess with a bad Lipo battery. Do you know where i could find a wiring schematic for the lipo balance connections?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM

If you are talking about the CellPro I would give FMA Direct a call for the wiring.