Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Center of Gravity Machine

Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center of Gravity Machine

Does anybody have any ideas on making a homemade center of gravity device for small electric airplanes ? I would appreciate any ideas.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Default RE: Center of Gravity Machine

The easy way is to take two dowls. Use ones that have the same diameter as a pencil. Make two 6" square pieces out of 1/4" or thicker plywood. Drill a holl in the center of each one and insert the dowl so that it stands vertically. Glue in place. Now get a couple of push on erasers. The kind that slip on the top of a pencil and have a wedge shape. Slide onto the top of each dowl. Now you have a perfect CG balancer.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:02 AM

It may not be the most accurate device ever, but I just use my fingers. A "peace sign" on your CG location will work fine since our electrics are usually pretty light. I've used this method on most of my aircraft and have never had it fail. Also, you don't have to worry about making adjustments at the field as your "jig" is always "at hand". Ha!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Truth be told that is what I do too, but it is not accurate as the fixed dowl method. Fingers work fine in most situations though.