Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

voltage for a charger

Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage for a charger

Hi, i have the E-flight Celectra lipo charger, and i have run into a problem. i have asked a couple of people and they all argue. im trying to get ahold of someone with this particular charger to get info, but i think it is best if i just spread my question around.

my Celectra lipo 3 cell charger says....
Supplying DC Power to the 1-3 cell Li-Po charger......
The Celectra™ 1–3 cell Li-Po charger is powered by connecting it to a 12V power source, such as a 12V sealed battery (HAN102), a 12V automobile battery (car must be not be running), a field box power panel or appropriate power supply. The battery capacity must be over 5Ah.
i have a 13.8 volt 3 amp power supply i was told by the company who sold me the celectra that this would work. i need to know if this would potentially damage my charger if i were to use this power supply. do i need to get a 12v 5 amp power supply?

i appreciat any information....thanx
Old 04-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Default RE: voltage for a charger

The voltage might be alright. The amperage is too low. You will need to have at least a 5 amp power supply to put out 3 amps at the charger.

To put in a plug...We sell 12 and 20 amp power supplies and they put out 13.5 volts which works fine.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 PM

well the main reason the company told me that the 3 amp power supply would work was because i was charging a 3 cell 2070mah lipo battery wich requires 2.07 amps. as long as i dont charge a battery with more than 3000mah the power supply will work.--said the guy. he also said if i wanted to use bigger chargers and bigger batteries that i wouldnt be able to use the power scource, but for what i am using it for i should be alright........

.......is this still true?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM

i also got some info from another member that says...

5 amp hour is a battery capacity rating, it'll provide 5A for 1 hour (or 3A for 1.5 hours), the 3 amps is the current the power supply can provide (could be max, could be continuous, the poster didn't say nor did they mention duty cycle), they aren't the same thing, this isn't like LiPo's with C ratings.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 PM

I agree, it is hard to tell from what you have said to tell what the actual specs of the power supply are. I really don't think it is worth it to consider anything lower than a 10 amp power supply as this will give you more use.