Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Radio crystals

Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio crystals

Hi Sal. I am trying to get my mind right about using a computer radio to control all of my models. I posted my question and got a few replies. They gave me a lot of info, but I'm still not clear on the answer that I need. I would appreciate any help that you can offer me. Here is my question as plain as I know how to ask it.

Let's say I have a JR radio XP6102 Fm on CH 38. and I am going to control my T-REX with a Futaba 6 Channel FM receiver which now has a Crystal in it that is CH 50. I will leave the transmitter as it is. I need to change the RX crystal to a Futaba Ch 38, Right?, not to a JR CH 38.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. JWM54.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Radio crystals

If you have a JR radio and want to control a Futaba receiver, you are out of luck. Thnere are two types of FM: High pass low band and low pass high band. Sometimes called positive and negative shifts. Futaba is negative shift and JR is positive shift so they are not compatable. You can use another JR, or a Hitec made for JR, and Airtronics or Multiplex receiver as well as any receiver that has autoshift such as the Berg receivers. You will need a crystal that is the same fequency or channel as your transmitter. You will need a crystal that is made for use in the receiver you buy, If it is a berg receiver you will need a berg crystal, hitec receiver, hitec crystal, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I just threw out Futaba receiver as an example of what I was after. Actually I am trying to control a couple of Walkera receivers. I am now clear on how this stuff works. From now on I am only going to buy SCAN SELECT receivers for my JR systems. I have a chance to buy a Futaba trans pretty cheap. I now only need to find out who makes Walkera stuff to determine what SHIFT their receivers are and I can do what I need to do. Thank you for the reply and if you happen to know anything helpful to me on Walkera stuff, please let me know.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Sorry! I am not familiar with the Walkera receivers. Not sure how well they would work with JR transmitters. Receivers are thge most important part of any radio system so I prefer ot only use what I know to be reliable and has good performance, sensitivity and rejection.